New guy with some heater questions.

-

429duster

Reaction score
Ok Y'all I have a 1974 Plymouth Duster, Ive posted some pics of my car in welcome wagon btw.

Ive been messing with my heat controls everything works, I just cant get the heater to open when its placed on heat went opens, or if I switch the red white or yellow hoses I can get the Deffrost to work but then the heat wont open or heat will open then no defrost. I have a 73 service manual but the diagrams arnt great. Any help or pics would be great! and yes its an a/c and both boxes have been rebuilt. Thank you.

Sounds like the vacuum selector switch is not working properly. Pretty common on these. There are a few you tube vids and other tech archives that have info to refurb or repair these.

Oh wow I said Hater lol not Heater always prof read right? well if I switch the hoses around I can get one to work and not the other, I'm sure I've got the hoses going to the right pods. and to tell you the truth I could not find a'lot about the latter years HVAC system info on here... If anyone has pics of 73-76 set up just so I can double check that would be great! and if it all checks out then ill go with a switch.

You already tested all the box functions, so it HAS to be the switch right? :)

There is no reason to hate the car. Persistance will pay off. Lots of good people here to help.

I say also it's likley the vacuum switch not working properly.
I knew a guy in tha 80s who bought this 1976 dart sport and the switch was bad.... next thing I see is a piece of wood stuck on the dash that resembles a flute and he would move a small hose from hole to hole to change from defrost to vent to feet heat.... crazy stuff right there.

good luck

Can any of the 73-76 look under there dash for some pics? I know there is some out there.

You lost me on this, both concept and grammar,
"everything works, I just cant get the heater to open when its placed on heat went opens,"

Anyway, everyone reads the problem as "vents don't switch correctly", and you must have the vacuum controls (many cars had mechanical cable controls, not sure about 1974), since you mention different colored (vacuum) hoses. My money is also on the 5-push-button switch. Replacements are pretty pricey (~$90 ebay). They used to be sold at NAPA, etc, so might be some old stock surfacing and under-valued, or read the post w/ photos showing how to take one apart and repair.

-
Back