New Hellwig tubular sway bar

-

redfastback

Don't ask me... my garage is empty
Reaction score
As some of you may have read in a previous thread, I have been working with David Wheeler at Hellwig Products to get an improved swaybar designed for the A bodies. Last year they came thru with the prototypes and I attested and will still attest that they are great bars to run. The install as well as fit and function are all pluses.
This time, they have upped the ante and engineered a new tubular sway bar for the front. With only slight changes that need to be done, the bar feels great. It weighed in at about 9.5 lbs, the previous solid one weighed about 16.5 lbs.(about 40% weight savings). I didn't feel much difference from solid to tubular, due to my heavier torsion bars, but the lighter weight is still a good thing to have.:cheers:
These guys should have a booth at Spring Fling and hopefully be stocked up to take care of A, B, and E body folks. My car will be there and you can feel free to check out and discuss the bars with me.

Believe me,.....I have been taking corners alot faster with more confidence with the front/rear bar setup...:snakeman:

AND I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!

Hi, looking at all the photos of the Hellwig bars as they are installed I havent seen any mounted in the stock lower control arm mount. As in a 68 340 car. Is this possible. Thanks

They sound nice. I will check them out at the show. Thanks for the info. Would any one happen to know what a stock front sway bar set up weighs?

Wonder if they would make a front or rear bar with no ends on it. Just straight. That way you could run an adjustable slider clamp.

I have the early 68 lower control arm with sway bar bracket. Does this have to be removed, or can it be used. Thanks Joe

I have the early 68 lower control arm with sway bar bracket. Does this have to be removed, or can it be used. Thanks Joe

I believe it will work with those arms since the bar ends up in pretty much the same location, but I will wait to see if Dave from hellwig will chime in with the correct answer.

FYI, I just ordered the Helwig A body rear sway bar from Suspension Connection for my Dart. $219.00 delivered to my door, including shipping and a 10% discount available for February.

We are working on a front sway bar for the early A-bodies. No ETA at this time but it is in the works. As far as the tubular front bar, it is 1-1/8" diameter and .188" wall thickness. We will have a 1-1/4" E-body tubular bar that will fit 70-72 B-bodies as well. Also we have a 1-3/8" tubular Front bar for the 64-69 B-bodies. We will be at Spring Fling to show off all the new parts.

I'd be very interested in the early A once I get my Dart back on the road. I've got a solid Addco on it right now and I hate the bracket design it uses.

I'd be very interested in the early A

I'm not sure what the correct terminology is, but if the new ones are thicker than the factory early A sway bars, I would definitely be interested. I've got several early A sway bars and they appear to be kind of thin (like maybe 5/8th inch thick).

I too would be VERY interested in an early A sway bar. I plan on being at spring fling so hopefully you will have some info on the setup.

Got back on Friday afternoon to find the new sway bar had arrived for my '71 Dart. The finish on it looks great, and the install shouldn't be too difficult.

P2130044.JPG

Just make sure you measure 2-3 times before drilling the holes in the frame. When installed right, it will be flat and no lower than the differential.

As some of you may have read in a previous thread, I have been working with David Wheeler at Hellwig Products to get an improved swaybar designed for the A bodies. Last year they came thru with the prototypes and I attested and will still attest that they are great bars to run. The install as well as fit and function are all pluses.
This time, they have upped the ante and engineered a new tubular sway bar for the front. With only slight changes that need to be done, the bar feels great. It weighed in at about 9.5 lbs, the previous solid one weighed about 16.5 lbs.(about 40% weight savings). I didn't feel much difference from solid to tubular, due to my heavier torsion bars, but the lighter weight is still a good thing to have.:cheers:
These guys should have a booth at Spring Fling and hopefully be stocked up to take care of A, B, and E body folks. My car will be there and you can feel free to check out and discuss the bars with me.

Believe me,.....I have been taking corners alot faster with more confidence with the front/rear bar setup...:snakeman:

AND I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!

Just curious. What torsion bars are you using and from whom? I ask as generally springs/rates/shocks need to be matched. It's abit of a gamble tossing components together.

I am running MP .890 bars, and I do have a complete aluminum topend on my motor, so that makes it a bit more stiff than stock. KYB gas-adjust at all 4 corners. They feel just right to me.

Hey,if it works then it works! Why mess with success!!

Thanks for the headsup on the swaybars and your hardwork/collaboration with Hellwig. Guys like you are what make this sight and being a Mopar guy a good thing!

FYI the Mopar tubular front sway bars are ready to go. Part numbers are as follows

55903 64-69 B-Body Mopar 1-3/8" FSB
55904 70-72 B-Body;70-74 E-Body Mopar 1-1/4" FSB
55906 67-72 A-Body Mopar 1-1/8" FSB

73-76 A-Body Bars will be coming soon as well as 63-66

FYI the Mopar tubular front sway bars are ready to go. Part numbers are as follows

55903 64-69 B-Body Mopar 1-3/8" FSB
55904 70-72 B-Body;70-74 E-Body Mopar 1-1/4" FSB
55906 67-72 A-Body Mopar 1-1/8" FSB

73-76 A-Body Bars will be coming soon as well as 63-66

Dave, is the benefit of using the tubular bars less weight than the conventional ones? I just bought and installed the rear sway bar on my 1971 Dodge Dart GT and am very pleased with it.

340 dart, the answer to your question is yes. In post #1, I stated the weights.

-
Back