New High In Pain Level - Gout

-

RedFish

Reaction score
I'm making this thread in hopes that it helps other guys/men like me who tend to ignore their pains and avoid doctors.
At 57 yrs old I've got a pain laden history of problems, hernias, hemorrhoids, carpal tunnel syndrome, ruptured discs both upper and lower. Nothing before compares to the pain level experience should Gout attack the wrists and hands.
I've had pain in the knuckle of my left big toe for a very long time. I assumed it was arthritis. It would come and go and it could be ignored so long as a the dog or a grandkid didn't step on it.
Last Tuesday evening I cut a piece of 3/8 plywood 7.25 square with 6.0 dia. hole with a jigsaw ( speaker to box adapter ). I didn't take time to change the blade to a more course tooth or clamp the material. I chose to manhandle my way through this small chore.
About 3:AM Wednesday morning, When the ER nurse ask me to state my pain level from 1 to 10, I said 18 !
I learned that Gout can and will suddenly attack joints that are stressed. So as mechanics we are all subject to this. What chore I was doing and/or what chore you might be doing could differ and yield the same experience.
Through Google I have also learned which food choices contribute to the likelihood of a Gout attack. I learned of natural/herbal remedies available too ( More on their effectiveness at a later date ).
Bottom line... You can continue to avoid the doctors and their prescription drugs with side effects but absolutely do not ignore that little pain in your toe. Google and read !
Let me turn my miserable Thanksgiving into a Merry Christmas for myself and others.
That's all I ask.

I've never had gout, but I passed a kidney stone last week.
That was pain!!!!!
Had it for a couple weeks prior. Took the grand daughter to her karate tournament on saturday. walked around all day with that as she progressed. we were there all day. We left and stopped at Applebe's for dinner. I went into the bathroom to pee. That's when it passed. I'm surprised the cops weren't called! The guy guy in the bathroom with me had to think there was a rape going on in the stall! I tried not to scream, I swear, but when you pass a stone 5mm in size and its jagged, well, let's see you do better. I was praying for the sweet relief that death would bring! The blood, that is something no man should ever see coming from out of the end of his jimmy.
I'm still traumatized over the whole thing. Doc says it's hereditary, my dad, grand dad and great grand dad all got them. Bad news is they all also got prostate cancer too. Good news is that they know to look now. But boy that stone was hateful!

I too suffer from Gout. It started in the joint of my big toe. Of course the wonderful military doctors misdiagnosed it as a bunion. The only way I can describe the pain is if someone was actually poking the bone in your toe with a sharp needle. At night, just the weight of the bed sheet on my toe is excruciating. Since then, I have had an attack on my knees, my ankle, and the top of my foot. I would not wish this pain on my worst enemy. It is debilitating!!!!! I know watch what I eat and when I feel the pain coming on, I pretty much drink lots of Cranberry juice and take a little pill that flushes my system out and the pain is usually gone within a day or so.

Same foot and toe pain RedFish, Hurt like hell for a year and a half, foot dr could not find anything and my GP doctor was doing nothing and I walked into his office a year ago and he asked how I was doing I said I am tired of this left foot pain :banghead: He said whats wrong with your foot ? I could not believe it!! I said doc! you have sent me to foot doctors and I have had this damned problem for over a year!#-o! He said he never sent me to a foot doctor or referred me to one.... I put my show back on and walked out!! Told the front desk lady Dr Grubbs need to retire as I walked out the door :wack:

I have a thread on this in the gold Members only thread RedFish, I had a small stroke in my right side of my brain the week my little brother past away up in Illinois, I went up and took care of getting him brought back home and thats when it happened .. Took to much toll on my system ( Stress )... So long story short They found out I have a mutation that happened at birth and I carry an extra Jean (JAK 2) look it up, it tells my bones to make way to many blood platelets it took a hole 3 days to get it under control and my foot pain (In my toe) that kept me from walking right for 1 1/2 years was gone

Oh My old doctor that was feeding me pain piles for 2 1/2 years got a hello letter from my wife and she said she would pray that he would not and is not doing this to any of his patients and to send ALL my paper work to my new doctor with out delay, and I ended up getting a over charge check from him saying they over charged me on some work dun,,, I told Treva he was covering his a$$.. Just a thought and I sure hope things get better ..

A boss had gout. Gary only had it in his feet. Only time he ever missed work was from flare ups. From what I remember his big trigger was red meat. Just wondering can gout cause bad breath? Gary had the worst case of rot mouth, when he would stop to talk to anyone they had to turn their head.

I have suffered from gout for a lot of years now.
All i do now is take an Allopurinol pill every day (cheap) and i haven't had it for about 4 years now.
When i first started on it, and if i forgot to take it for 2 days in a row, i would get gout again and it would take days to get relief again until the pill overcame the uric acid crystals built up in my joints, specifically my two big toes.
I learned the hard way to make sure i take it daily around the same time.
I have had no side effects from taking Allopurinol.
My big triggers were tomatoes, beef steaks, shellfish, and acidic fruit juices.
I still consume these, but not any more than weekly for each of them and it works for me.

I'm 6'1" and 260#, I've fought with gout for many years, about 4 years ago after some major back surgeries I found out I had Diabetes Type 2, once I got the blood sugar under control I have not had any gout issues. Apparently Diabetes and gout are related, wish someone would have told me a couple of decades ago! Gout free without gout meds for about 4 years now, new goal is to lose enough weight to be D 2 med free as well!

Yeah the ER docs botched the diagnosis also. X-ray revealed a tiny fracture in a wrist bone that has probably been there for years. Gave me contact info for orthopedic surgeon. The swelling and redness of skin was seen as infection. I got a IV bag full of antibiotics and a 'script' for more antibiotics. Scripts for pain meds also ( the only blessing in my story ) and back home by 9:AM Wed. Middle of Wed. night I found I had broken my right wrist/hand also. LMAO
Once again I have lost faith and hope in those azzclowns.

edit; in looking back I'm reminded of a Michael J. Fox movie titled Doc Hollywood.
I'm sure my family doc would have taken one look and said "Gout! Plain and simple".

ya, I've had gout attacks for longer than I care to remember. get it in my toes, ankles, elbows and knees. allipurinall does nothing for me, so just sufferd with it. sometimes last 3-4 weeks at a time. neighbor gave me a couple of indicint (spelling?) pills, and within a couple of days I'm pain free. now, when I get a twinge I take a pill in the morning and am usually alright by night fall. I only have to take a couple pills a month to keep me gout free. sure feels nice. lol. dave.

Wow, I never knew that gout was so painless or in Gary the boss' case caused bad breath. Although he was the boss right?? How he got to be boss might be the same cause of the bad breath...

I have diabetes as well and see back surgery in my future....now gout?? FML!!:banghead:

Taking a cherry extract pill helped me a lot. I get them from Swanson.com relatively cheap

I'm 35 now and have been dealing with gout since I was 27! I had just gotten done with a bad bout of blood clots in legs and lungs. I had no clue what it was and thought it was blood clots again. Went to the blood doc and they checked me out. They said I broke my foot so I went back to doc for that. They checked my uric acid levels and was high. Then they told gout! Now with diet I have been 3 years without a bout. I was missing a week of work about every month until meds!

Taking a cherry extract pill helped me a lot. I get them from Swanson.com relatively cheap

This !! Yep it works and I have dun it and need to get back on it :blob:

After looking at all the remedies available online I choose www.gout-relief.com
I went with their Gout-Cleanse combo. Colon Cleanse isn't what it's name suggests ( Colon Blow or Colon Rinse ). In fact it is counteracting the side effects of pain meds and omeprazole ( commonly known as Prilosec ) that I've been taking for years due to bleeding stomach ulcers. I wish I was taking this one years ago. Anyway, back to the Gout ...
Other than a small amount of pain in the knuckle where left foot meets big toe, I'm golden.
Little change in my diet. Mid morning coffee was changed to water. Iced tea with my super was changed to water. Giving up beer wasn't an issue since I didn't drink beer often.
What you need to know if considering these medicines ;
Huge nasty tasting pills much like any other vitamin or dietary supplement.
90 of each is not a 90 day supply. You'll take a combined total of 24 per day for the first 3 days.
Combined total of 8 per day going forward.

Hope the foot pain gets better :prayer: same here, I go threw 40 bottled waters a week now
I was wondering if you have discoloration on that foot RedFish ?
Stay on your path and glad this have gotten a bit better :color:

Hope the foot pain gets better :prayer: same here, I go threw 40 bottled waters a week now
I was wondering if you have discoloration on that foot RedFish ?
Stay on your path and glad this have gotten a bit better :color:

No noticeable discoloration in foot or toe.
Be careful with the water intake. If it washes all the electrolytes out of your system, that leads to the ER too. They called it water toxic, electrolyte shock. I felt as if I was dying from nothing. One of those strange periods in my past I'd like to forget.

When I worked at the local Toyota dealer in the service department, I worked next to a guy and we became good friends. Through getting to know each other we shared several common interests. Politics, cars, beer......he was actually a home brewer.......and a damn good one. Then about two years after we met, all of a sudden he got gout. His doctor told him no more beer. So he got out of the home brewing. Sold all his stuff. He said that is some of the worst pain he's ever had and drinkin beer set it on fire.

Update... Almost a year since first attack. Currently 4:AM up all night, typing with 1 finger. Those over the counter / online meds just weren't sufficient so about a month ago I decided to go to the doctor. " Hi, long time no see. Lets get me lined up with a surgeon and get this hernia repaired, and please help me with gout " So... surgery scheduled for Friday Nov. 13th. My prescription for gout is called Colchicine. Tiny little purple pill. Since gout attacks my hands and hurts so bad I cant wipe my butt, why of course the number one side effect of the medicine is diarrhea.
I know now that I'll never be able to put my 67 B'cuda vert project together. It will be a for sale add here and Craigslist in the near future.

I hate to see people have to get out of the hobby due to health problems.

Sorry to hear about this.

Man, I am sorry.
I have suffered from Gout since my early 30's, I am 48 now.
My right big toe is permanently swelled up, I have to buy extra wide shoes.
I have learned to control mine with diet, salads, limited intake of red meat and shell fish.
The only prescription that works for me is Incomethacin, little green miracle pill.
Downside of the little green pill is it makes me seriously ill in the stomach.
So I only take the pill when I am in serious pain.
I feel for everybody that has to go thru this, a co-worker has gout and kidney stones, he said he would take a kidney stone any day over the gout.

I feel for everybody that has to go thru this, a co-worker has gout and kidney stones, he said he would take a kidney stone any day over the gout.

That puts the pain in perspective! Damn!

-
Back