new lazy lifter....

-
I have owned a 65 HP 273 and no banana grooves. My 66 HP doesn't have them either. Or the 3 that I parted out. Just sayin!

That's strange because all mine did, that's how I got all the shafts I got.

I read post #2. I've read all of the posts. #2 says nothing about banana grooves. I have 273 valve train on my 340 off of my 67 273 and it does not have banana grooves.

Not all 273s with adjustable rockers had the banana groves from the factory.

Non racers may not know this but.

One of the reasons for adjustable rockers on a hydraulic cam is to adjust for a zero lash to beat lifter pump up.

I didn't see anybody say they wouldn't work. There was a little tiff over mechanical vs. hydraulic lifters. Was the T/A valve train what inspired the "banana grooves"?
I wouldn’t think so since the first set of banana groove shafts showed up in 65 in 273’s.

Jake

One of the reasons for adjustable rockers on a hydraulic cam is to adjust for a zero lash to beat lifter pump up.
Ya, no racer here. Does make sense. Custom push rods could do the same I suppose. I wonder if the ratio is more consistent between the two. My take was less flex in the rocker.

Yup, but if you do that, you best not have those cheap arse lifters with the stupid wire retainer. They best be heavy duty snap rings.

Why in the hell would I want to listen to noisy lifters in a very mild engine? And have to adjust them every 8 miles. Solid lifters have their place... and that’s not in my weekend cruisers. To each their own but that’s dumb and going backwards to do that. I don’t want the hassle of solids for a basically stock 360. No thanks.

You don't adjust them every 8 miles. Hydraulic lifters are so junk, I won't use them. No reason to.

You can either get a set of solids, lash them correctly and live with a small amount of noise I doubt you'll hear with the hood closed (you can't hear my lifters as they last at .014/.016 hot) or you get what you have. Clacky, clunky hydraulic lifters.

It's not 1980 any more where solid cams lash at .032 and they never should have lashed there anyway.

Back to the lazy lifter. We never had those problems before. Can't those Chinese make stuff right? I wonder if it's tolerances or leaving out steps like deburring or cleaning.

Back to the lazy lifter. We never had those problems before. Can't those Chinese make stuff right? I wonder if it's tolerances or leaving out steps like deburring or cleaning.

No, you're dead right. It all came about about the same time the gubmint mandated the zinc out of the oils. That's about the time everybody started outsourcing everything.

No, you're dead right. It all came about about the same time the gubmint mandated the zinc out of the oils. That's about the time everybody started outsourcing everything.
The OP claims the Johnson lifters are made in the USA. No consolation there.

The OP claims the Johnson lifters are made in the USA. No consolation there.

I cannot remember where, but I read somewhere recently that they were no longer made here. Course that mightta been BS too. It wouldn't surprise me though.

I cannot remember where, but I read somewhere recently that they were no longer made here. Course that mightta been BS too. It wouldn't surprise me though.
I just visited their site. If they aint they are sure blowing smoke. Like I said, no consolation there.

I built a mild 360 hydraulic cam 273 adjustable rockers. I used Johnson US made lifters. Since new (600 miles) I get a pretty good tap tap tap. It will almost go completely silent after 3-4 minutes. I have tried all preload settings. It's just a lazy lifter. I pulled the lifter and took it apart. Seemed clean and normal. It's not wiping the cam.... knock on wood. I have a new lifter I am going to throw in and break in. Has anybody else just had a lifter than wouldn't pump correctly? Thanks.
Yep. Pioneer lifter... would randomly tick sometimes too.. pulled it apart n cleaned it, same...just less often.

Well you just proved what an idiot you are enjoy your car I will enjoy mine...
So let me get this straight.... I asked a question about hydraulic lifters in a Mopar friendly forum. Another member replies in a way that isn’t constructive or intelligent at all. I reply back the reason I went with a particular style of lifter. The other member calls me an idiot. You are a complete asshole and a disgrace to the community. You do not know me or what I have ever accomplished or built in my life. And to straight up call me an idiot when you can’t even answer a simple question? I think I may know who the idiot is here. So much for FABO being a fun place. I always recalled this place being a fun and knowledgeable crew. Oh well.

This day and age any country can build quality automobile parts. Lifters are not exactly high precision items. Quality control can be a problem. It's up to the outsourcing company to protect there name by making sure they have a good product.

So let me get this straight.... I asked a question about hydraulic lifters in a Mopar friendly forum. Another member replies in a way that isn’t constructive or intelligent at all. I reply back the reason I went with a particular style of lifter. The other member calls me an idiot. You are a complete asshole and a disgrace to the community. You do not know me or what I have ever accomplished or built in my life. And to straight up call me an idiot when you can’t even answer a simple question? I think I may know who the idiot is here. So much for FABO being a fun place. I always recalled this place being a fun and knowledgeable crew. Oh well.
It's a big community. Some people are misunderstood. Or assholes

Last edited:
You don't adjust them every 8 miles. Hydraulic lifters are so junk, I won't use them. No reason to.

You can either get a set of solids, lash them correctly and live with a small amount of noise I doubt you'll hear with the hood closed (you can't hear my lifters as they last at .014/.016 hot) or you get what you have. Clacky, clunky hydraulic lifters.

It's not 1980 any more where solid cams lash at .032 and they never should have lashed there anyway.

so you can’t answer my original question either. Or throw some relevant information. I don’t want to use solid lifters. It’s simple. I had no idea the members of FABO are so sensitive to hyd vs solids. Good grief.

They are US made lifters. You clearly read the replies and not the original post.

-
Back