New Member from Cen Cal

-

1965 Dart GT

Reaction score
Hello all. My wife and I just purchased a 65 Dart GT 225/904 from a local wrecker for $650 and we're looking forward to beginning a complete resto-mod. This is our 5th Mopar, I've had:

65 A100 Sportsman van 2bbl 318LA, 727, B&M shifter, dual exhaust...wish I never sold it...

62 Dart wagon 2bbl 318poly, pushbutton auto...never got it running, sold as project, impossible to find rear body parts...

2001 Ram Sport 2wd 5.2Magnum, 46RE, K&N cai, tint, stereo...sold a while ago...I prefer older Mopars.

92 Ramcharger 4x4 5.2Magnum, 46RH, Hughes plenum plate, ported minikeg intake, MP double roller timing set, Flowmaster exhaust, electric rad fan, Skyjacker add-a-leafs, Skyjacker dual inline stabilizer, aftermarket tach, locked CAD, Superwinch manual hubs, 15x10 Enkei alloys, 33x12.5 BFG A/T's, 2wd tow receiver (req's skid plate mods). Future plans include engine rebuild and maybe Skyjacker 4" lift springs.
IMG_2108-1.jpg

My current project is an 85 Subaru BRAT (my 6th Subaru). Originally a carb'ed 1.8 on demand dual range 4wd 4 speed car. This project is being done in phases with several mods including OBDII MPFI EJ22 from 97 Legacy, AWD 5 Speed with locking center diff from yet to be found donor, LSD rear from 95 SVX, front running gear/discs from 93 Impreza, rear running gear/discs from yet to found donor, homemade front and rear x-members, Flowmaster exhaust, dual Wilwood adjustable proportioning valves, 93 Impreza aluminum rad, USDM WRX alloys, Optima red top, and down the road a MAP sensor convertion then cowl induction.
IMG_1673.jpg

IMG_1749.jpg

The Dart:

IMG_2563.jpg

IMG_2564.jpg

IMG_2562.jpg

IMG_2565.jpg

IMG_2582.jpg

It is complete and mostly original (pioneer deck, 66 engine...). Has cowl cancer from hell, rear pass 1/4 cancer, both doors are junk, int is thrashed.

Pretty rough but it was only $650 and come to find out there was a pair of straight, rust free doors in the trunk. Wrecker was pissed when we pointed that out (after paying of course).

Its a low trim car and had the trunk trim deleted by a PO. I love it and plan on going with minimal ext trim. My wife wants to go dark racing green but int and engine bay will be black.

I'm still learing about resto & mod options but general plans include full unibody resto with extensive rustproofing and some stiffening, an MPFI Magnum/46RH retrofit, disc brakes, rear end upgrade, newer bucket seats, HID headlights, CD deck/amp/subs, maybe A/C. I'm researching retrofitting HVAC from another newer car.

I know those mods aren't what old school Mopar purists want to see but I think most anyone will be able to appreciate this car when its done.

Great looking Ramcharger! The Dart looks pretty solid too! Hold on to those dogdish hub caps, they are worth their weight in gold!

Thanks for all the replies.

I do enjoy working on cars and now my wife has finally found one that interests her enough to learn too.

The dogdish hubcaps are actually a matched set of 4 for a Plymouth and are in great shape, just faded paint. I've been planning on selling them, what's a fair price?

The dogdish hubcaps are actually a matched set of 4 for a Plymouth and are in great shape, just faded paint. I've been planning on selling them, what's a fair price?
Clean 'em up a bit and you'll fetch at least $100 or more! I paid twice that for mine which are nearly mint!

Welcome from a little north of you and a 65 Dart owner too.

Great find, especially the doors in the trunk. Cowl rust is a nightmare to deal with, judging from photos of repairs in FABO posts. One guy in Europe has done some amazing repairs. You probably need a MIG or TIG welder. I have the cheap no-gas wire-fed welder from Harbor Freight, but it spits too much for sheetmetal, other than floors and other out-of-sight repair.

Welcome onboard from another 65 Dart fan in Sweden. Great project you have. Keep the pictures coming and good luck.

Thanks again for all the words of welcome. This forum already seems more pleasant than some of the others I've been on, of course the bad *** Mopars help too.

70DartMike, does your 66 have a good upper cowl piece and would you be willing to remove/ship it? I'm assuming they are the same or close enough. Other than that I'm looking for 65 trim like the grill/headlight outline, DODGE letters for the trunk, an int door handle, and eventually a floor shift console. Dollar proirity goes to sheetmetal for now but if I can get a good deal on the others I'll snatch them up.

BillGrissom, I have a MIG machine. Like you said, flux core makes lots of spatter and beads that look like sPit. Much too ugly for visible sheetmetal repairs. Also, it has much more tendency to cause heat damage/warpage, burn through causing holes, and cleaning FCAW slag is a PITA. Now if I could get my hands on a plasma cutter and a soda blaster I'd be set.

My cowl rust is so bad I'm planning on trying to find a replacement upper and fab a complete lower. I have no experience with sheetmetal fab at all so this will be a learning process and I'll be taking my time to get it right. I have yet to tear it down enough to see how much more needs to be done.

MORE PICS:

IMG_2593.jpg

IMG_2591.jpg

IMG_2592.jpg

IMG_2590.jpg

IMG_2589.jpg

IMG_2588.jpg

Welcome to FABO 1965 Dart GT,your car sure brings back some memories of when I bought my 66 dart from Alabama.I too had lots of crap in the cowl area,I used a shop vac many times,blowing air and flushing with water to get it clean.I have a blue 65 floor console shifter if interested,when you get to your interior.Good luck with your project.
View attachment Parts to sell 077.jpg

View attachment Parts to sell 080.jpg

Welcome to FABO 1965 Dart GT!

You will enjoy this site - There are lots of great people and information

Enjoy the site!

Ma Snart

My 67 Cuda for your viewing pleasure - more pictures in my gallery

Attachments

• DSC00632.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 124
Welcome to the greatest car site in the world. :cheers:

-