new parts from some old man

-

74swingerlover

Reaction score
I just got all these parts from some old guy. He was having a garage sale and I noticed a 71 swinger in his back yard. We got to talking about dart and he gave me all this stuff. He said he had no need for it anymore because he was too old to bother building anything again. He must of been well into his 80's. Just wondering if any of these parts are useable together in a street/strip (mostly street) combo? I have a mid 80's 360 lying around and would like to see some new life into it. These are the numbers I found on the parts:

pistons - 2899479 measured @4.03 and change
connecting rods - 2899496
edelbrock intake - LD340/chry3549884
offenhauser - dual port intake
340 X heads -
crank - 353249
chrome valve covers - not going to use on this engine have M/T's instead
camshaft - speed rpo 1019r?
camshaft - unknown brand, just says 117cl on the front?
timing cover
oil pump
windage tray

I should also note that the guy said most of the partrs were from a 340. He kept them stored really nice, no rust on anything. Did I find a score?

Offenhauser is a good old school race manifold. Dual intake, if you get a double pumper with secondaries it's great for street/strip.

340 x heads -- X and J heads were highly sought back in the day, they're pretty good and even better AFTER some machine work.

This is all I can tell you, id probably put the rest of the stuff in the box. I wouldn't dare use an older cam shaft or crank.

The LD340 intake will sell quick here for around $200,they,re highly sought after intake.Kinda nice of the old man to just give you all that stuff.:yawinkle:

I was thinking of using the LD340 intake, the X-heads and the cam that said 117 on the front (he stored them in oil) tmaybe build up the 360 I have lying around. would this work??

My old mans getting senile. He has no right to be giving my stuff away. Send it back immediately. I will pm you my shipping address. On a serious note nice score.DD

I was thinking of using the LD340 intake, the X-heads and the cam that said 117 on the front (he stored them in oil) tmaybe build up the 360 I have lying around. would this work??
I wouldn,t put a cam with unknown specs in my car.With getting the heads and intake free,maybe buy a cam that fits your application(torque convertor,rear gears and tire size)These are all part of a formula to be matched with your cam for best performance.Good luck.

Your going to use a LD340 and a set of X-heads ?

Thats crazy talk...... 8-[

Here's the only thing I could find on the pistons...

Cyl. Engine Bore

V8 340
5.6 L
4.040(IN)
102.6(MM)

CHRYSLER
ENGINE

Years
Comp. Ratio

1968-71

NOTES:

Flat top with four valve reliefs. Piston may be used in either left or right cylinder bank.

APPROXIMATE HEAD VOLUME=10cc

Comp. Ht. 1.824
Pin Dia..9842 Offset

Part No.
Sizes

Std.

Rings

2-5/64
1-3/16

O.E. Assy. No.

3004516-7

O.E. Casting No.

2899479-80

Head Shape

f4vcham.gif

http://webpages.charter.net/beckracing/slvpg37.htm

That look about right?

You did very good.In my bookssssssss you should do something nice back to the old guy trust me.

Your going to use a LD340 and a set of X-heads ?

Thats crazy talk...... 8-[

Old school performance!!!

Nice score. I would try to sell some of the stuff that you are not going to use and buy a new cam/lifter set and have the X heads gone through.

Yeah I definitley need to give this guy something nice.

I was also thinking of putting the Offenhuaser intake on a '74 318 2 barrel motor I have. I have a Holley 550 lying around. would this pep up the 318 alittle or hurt it? Better off the line? Better top end? Car is a stock swinger with 2.76's

You did really well on these parts. As mentioned gift certificate would be a nice gesture for the fellow.

Offenhauser is a good old school race manifold. Dual intake, if you get a double pumper with secondaries it's great for street/strip.

this is no good old school race manifold!!! edlebrock made a manifold called sp2p. this is the theory here... on the primary side very small port very high velocity lots of part throttle bottom end torque and response then a separate channel for secondary's so you still have the top end power of a good ole dual plain manifold. it has issues though. a lean primary channel and a rich secondary channel. most carbs are set up factory for good economy on the primary and make up for it on the secondary the power valve or enrichment system on the primary is not enough for full richness. it can be tuned and fixed but there goes the idea of good economy that you gain (the hole idea of this manifold)(although a good tuner can get both). with a rich channel and a lean channel the combustion chamber mix is horrible, especially with a chamber with very little squish and quench. end result a big sacrifice on top end power. some people say they like it. i say this... they spent time and had the knowledge or new someone that had the knowledge to work out the problems. or they went from a two barrel and even though there are issues the power was better thus satisfied. or maybe lucky and that even though a great thing don't happen very often, also the separation in the manifold is thick cutting the flow of the port by 25-30%, (fore sure not a power gainer)overall this manifold will probably help in the economy department and you will gain top end power over a two barrel so if that's all your after give it a try

this is no good old school race manifold!!! edlebrock made a manifold called sp2p. this is the theory here on the primary side very small port very high velocity lots of part throttle bottom end torque and response then a separate channel for secondary's so you still have the top end power of a good ole dual plain manifold. it has issues though. a lean primary channel and a rich secondary channel. most carbs are set up factory for good economy on the primary and make up for it on the secondary the power valve or enrichment system on the primary is not enough for full richness. it can be tuned and fixed but there goes the idea of good economy that you gain (the hole idea of this manifold)(although a good tuner can get both). with a rich channel and a lean channel the combustion chamber mix is horrible, especially with a chamber with very little squish and quench. end result a big sacrifice on top end power. some people say they like it. i say this... they spent time and had the knowledge or new someone that had the knowledge to work out the problems. or they went from a two barrel and even though there are issues the power was better thus satisfied. or maybe lucky and that even though a great thing don't happen very often, also the separation in the manifold is thick cutting the flow of the port by 25-30%, (fore sure not a power gainer)overall this manifold will probably help in the economy department and you will gain top end power over a two barrel so if that's all your after give it a try

So what you are saying is the offy dual port is roughly the same as an SP2P?

Oh Nooooo! an "unknown cam!"

Marked "117 CL" - Center Line / Lobe Centers / LSA depending on how old you are.

So put it between centers, grab a dial indicator & a degree wheel and find out what it is.

More than once I had Schneider had me a completely un-marked camshaft with the instruction "try this kid". I home nobody tossed those cams out when they found them in engines...

B.

-
Back