New Quaker State Oil w/ Zinc

-
Last edited:
I just changed the oil in my Duster this morning and used this. It was about $8 a quart at AutoZone. I saw it a couple days later at Walmart a little cheaper, but only 1quart on the shelf.

Resized_20220909_092202_18231479947190.jpeg

Just found this post and looked up quaker state Defy motor oil...$43.00 a quart???

It's been discontinued for a year and a half. The new high mileage stuff, not called Defy, has the lower ZDDP.
It used to be retail priced in big box stores at about $25 for a five quart jug and $7 per quart container. Someone must have some old stock who thinks it's precious.
Oh, and for the last several years it was produced, only the 10W-40 had the high ZDDP. The lighter grades were rated API SN "Resource Conserving" which limited ZDDP content, which was the reason for it in the first place???

Quaker State. One step above Pennzoil. No thanks.

Quaker State? No way !!! Have you ever seen the inside of an engine that ran Quaker State? Not pretty... For me it is Pennzoil 10w-40 with a can of STP which contains ZZDP at every oil change. Been running this combo for yearssss in my current HiPo 340 and never have had no issues.

Last edited:
Quaker State. One step above Pennzoil. No thanks.
I never liked QS but used lots of Pennzoil over the years without issue, I always considered QS the bottom rung of quality in oil.
Though today with the cost and as much as I go thru, I find myself doing something I never thought I would , and that being to buy the "house brand" on oil, usually at farm and fleet.and at that only when on sale and I "stock up " then.
Used to use lots of Pennzoil and Valvoline.
I recently bought 4 cases (6 bottles per) of Valvoline high zinc for break in purposes

What other places test motor oil are there?
There's testing, and then there's testing.

You can get a basic spectrochemical analysis, viscosity test, fuel contamination and maybe TBN test for around $30 from several outfits. Wix, NAPA, Blackstone, Shell...

If you want testing to determine if an oil meets API or ILSAC standards, you'll need a fairly sophisticated lab. That will involve testing for several standards as laid down by the ASTM. That is quite expensive to do, and is how oil companies certify their products to carry approval ratings on the label.

I never liked QS but used lots of Pennzoil over the years without issue, I always considered QS the bottom rung of quality in oil.
Though today with the cost and as much as I go thru, I find myself doing something I never thought I would , and that being to buy the "house brand" on oil, usually at farm and fleet.and at that only when on sale and I "stock up " then.
Used to use lots of Pennzoil and Valvoline.
I recently bought 4 cases (6 bottles per) of Valvoline high zinc for break in purposes
Valvoline is my favorite. It's Ashland oil. Napa oil is Ashland.

Ashland spun off Valvoline five years ago. Saudi Aramco bought Valvoline last month.
Good to know. I hadn't heard that.
I should just drive over to Northland (here in town) They formulate their own lubricants and supply product to John Deere. Every tractor that leaves town is filled with Northland lubricants.

Humans will pick sides. Something goes wrong, we must find someone or something to blame. Truth is (ouch! not the truth!!) I turned my 360 magnum over to 300k (now almost 308k) on QS changed every 5,000 miles. Guess what? Truck still runs as good as the day I bought it. With supply shortages, I have now switched to Valvoline due to availability. We pulled the main caps off of a 2.2 Lancer at 196k miles and they looked like new - QS was used. My brother-in-law runs Havoline. Went back to back to back to almost 300k using that oil with oldmobile and buick 3.8. My neighbor went 246k on a maxi van 318 using pennzoil before the van caught fire and burned up. Truth is, QS, Havoline, Valvoline, Pennzoil, Castrol, Mobil, every one of these are a good oil and will give your engine long life. But we like to pick sides and cheer, boo, and have claims of victory. LOL Now if your engine needs zinc, pay attention.

Humans will pick sides. Something goes wrong, we must find someone or something to blame. Truth is (ouch! not the truth!!) I turned my 360 magnum over to 300k (now almost 308k) on QS changed every 5,000 miles. Guess what? Truck still runs as good as the day I bought it. With supply shortages, I have now switched to Valvoline due to availability. We pulled the main caps off of a 2.2 Lancer at 196k miles and they looked like new - QS was used. My brother-in-law runs Havoline. Went back to back to back to almost 300k using that oil with oldmobile and buick 3.8. My neighbor went 246k on a maxi van 318 using pennzoil before the van caught fire and burned up. Truth is, QS, Havoline, Valvoline, Pennzoil, Castrol, Mobil, every one of these are a good oil and will give your engine long life. But we like to pick sides and cheer, boo, and have claims of victory. LOL Now if your engine needs zinc, pay attention.
That is true. Back at the GM dealer in the Late 70's to the mid 80's, we had a ton of oil consumption issues. We had Pennzoil on tap. We switched to Northland, a local refinery, and within a oil change or two the consumption issues went away. I think Pennz got a bad rep with their paraffin based oils and short trip driving. Wow what a gooey sludge mess under the valve covers and in the valley.

Any oil changes I've done the past 15 years(excluding cuda) I used Quaker State High Mileage. Defy, I think?

There's testing, and then there's testing.

You can get a basic spectrochemical analysis, viscosity test, fuel contamination and maybe TBN test for around $30 from several outfits. Wix, NAPA, Blackstone, Shell...

If you want testing to determine if an oil meets API or ILSAC standards, you'll need a fairly sophisticated lab. That will involve testing for several standards as laid down by the ASTM. That is quite expensive to do, and is how oil companies certify their products to carry approval ratings on the label.

Are your giving me used oil test places?
If so, why would you do that in a thread on new oils?
No worries since it was pretty much an empty answer. You can finish it up with where to get used oil tested for if possible. NAPA is the only place I heard of on your list.

Who else tests “NEW OIL?”

Not used oil.

Are your giving me used oil test places?
Yes.

If so, why would you do that in a thread on new oils?
For a couple reasons, the most important because it's something the average Joe can afford. You can send a sample of new oil off to Blackstone or Wix, and the report you get back will give you a basic but thorough list of the oil's contents, limited by the ability of the testing methods. It will tell you how much zinc, phosphorus, magnesium, boron, molybdenum, calcium, etc. With that information, you can get a basic understanding of what is in the oil in terms of anti-wear compounds and detergents. Basic viscosity tests are also often part of the service.

No worries since it was pretty much an empty answer. You can finish it up with where to get used oil tested for if possible. NAPA is the only place I heard of on your list.
Sorry to disappoint you. Google any of the names I gave you and "used oil analysis" and you'll have your answer how to use their services, and I suspect several more.

Who else tests “NEW OIL?”

Not used oil.
For that information you'd want to Google something like "labs that perform ASTM tests which determine SAE, API and ILSAC standards." Those are performance tests that determine grades and ratings which you'll see on oil containers. Expect to see a webpage with contact info. You tell them what you want, and they'll send you a quote.
Those tests can be very expensive. Some involve running engines for many hours, tearing down, and measuring wear. They are not tests used by consumers, as they can cost in the tens of thousands of dollars to be performed by a certified lab. Those tests are so expensive that the cost is a reason, not necessarily the only reason, that some of the smaller blenders don't have API certification on some of their products. Some Amsoil, HPL, Red Line, Driven products are right at the top of the heap in terms of quality but aren't certified. For one thing, their targeted customer doesn't care about certification. But another reason is that the cost of certification has to be recouped in the price of the product, which would make the price of already expensive oils beyond reason.

So, with a few exceptions, new oil testing is really something only done within the industry as a necessity to assure consumers products meet standards required for their vehicles. The PQIA, referred to above, does some nice testing, which is a great benefit to consumers. But they only do a few of the more basic, inexpensive tests, and not the full battery required for certifications.

That is true. Back at the GM dealer in the Late 70's to the mid 80's, we had a ton of oil consumption issues. We had Pennzoil on tap. We switched to Northland, a local refinery, and within a oil change or two the consumption issues went away. I think Pennz got a bad rep with their paraffin based oils and short trip driving. Wow what a gooey sludge mess under the valve covers and in the valley.
I think oils have come a long, long ways since the 70's, though.

Another oil story
Back in the late 80s my dad had a buddy who had a 77 charger Daytona with a 400, that I believe he had bought new
He worked at Sears and often had us (I worked in the shop there at sears at the time) and raved about the Sears spectrum motor oil and was fine with us using that in his car.
Also said (didn't ever really complain about it) that this car would use about 2 quarts between oil changes. Though he lived a mile from work if that.
For some reason we were out of his usual oil, (which was what we put in every oil change we did unless the customer requested something else)
He was quite good about coming in at every 3000 miles. This time we put Valvoline in there, and he was getting the car ready for a trip to Florida.
He came back about 10 days later for another oil change. This time requested Valvoline. Said that all the way down and back the car didn't use a drop of oil with the Valvoline in there. Was a pretty good car, I don't remember him ever really having much problems with it.

That’s what I call an insanely great answer!

Also - LMAO - No you didn’t disappoint on the first answer. I was a slight confused. Apologies if it came off in an I’ll manor.
Yes.

For a couple reasons, the most important because it's something the average Joe can afford. You can send a sample of new oil off to Blackstone or Wix, and the report you get back will give you a basic but thorough list of the oil's contents, limited by the ability of the testing methods. It will tell you how much zinc, phosphorus, magnesium, boron, molybdenum, calcium, etc. With that information, you can get a basic understanding of what is in the oil in terms of anti-wear compounds and detergents. Basic viscosity tests are also often part of the service.

Sorry to disappoint you. Google any of the names I gave you and "used oil analysis" and you'll have your answer how to use their services, and I suspect several more.

For that information you'd want to Google something like "labs that perform ASTM tests which determine SAE, API and ILSAC standards." Those are performance tests that determine grades and ratings which you'll see on oil containers. Expect to see a webpage with contact info. You tell them what you want, and they'll send you a quote.
Those tests can be very expensive. Some involve running engines for many hours, tearing down, and measuring wear. They are not tests used by consumers, as they can cost in the tens of thousands of dollars to be performed by a certified lab. Those tests are so expensive that the cost is a reason, not necessarily the only reason, that some of the smaller blenders don't have API certification on some of their products. Some Amsoil, HPL, Red Line, Driven products are right at the top of the heap in terms of quality but aren't certified. For one thing, their targeted customer doesn't care about certification. But another reason is that the cost of certification has to be recouped in the price of the product, which would make the price of already expensive oils beyond reason.

So, with a few exceptions, new oil testing is really something only done within the industry as a necessity to assure consumers products meet standards required for their vehicles. The PQIA, referred to above, does some nice testing, which is a great benefit to consumers. But they only do a few of the more basic, inexpensive tests, and not the full battery required for certifications.

That’s what I call an insanely great answer!

Also - LMAO - No you didn’t disappoint on the first answer. I was a slight confused. Apologies if it came off in an I’ll manor.
It's all good, my friend.
:thumbsup:

-
Back