New Race Car /old Drag Strip Owner

-
I'm Very Old School ! Started Racing In 1958 At Twin Cities Speed Way, Arm Drop. Don Garlets And Tommie Ivo Would Show Up 1 Or 2 Times A Year. Opened Up My Own Drag Strip In 1967 Tenora Dragways Comstock Wisc. That Yr. I Won The Nhra Pts Meet At Minn. Dragways In My 67 442. In Its Class. Also Raced A 56 Chev Mod. Prod. And A Aa/ F Funny Car. Then Retired For 25 Yrs. Now I'm Back. I Need As Much Advice As Possible With This Dart, Never Raced Chrysler Before I Would Like To Go 6.4 In 1/8 Mi. Or Better With Car Without Nos. Can Anybody Help I'll Take Some Pics Next Week And Post Them. Car Is Yellow With Rumble Bee Stripe On Rear A Aluim. Spoiler On Rear With Shut. Under It. Thanks Gary

Just tryin' to clear my foggy memory. Was your 67 442 maroon by any chance?

still wondering why someone would remove the front shocks in a race car???????????????? or is it just the cool kid thing to do

Old Stock class "trick" used yeeeeears ago to "snap" the front-end up for weight transfer. You'd usually see GM guys do it, although I guess 'most anybody could try it.
Before drag shocks, guys used to drain fluid out of the shocks for the same reason, or on GM carsa replace the serrated A-arm washers with regular ones in an attempt to get the front-end to lift faster. Don't know how successful all that stuff was, but back then we'd try just about anything...

I'm no seasoned drag racer but i'm at your service if I can help let me know....you too mike

No Track Is Closed , It Was Used For A Landing Strip For A Short While And Then Turn Into A Street To Go To Lake Homes. What A Shame. Should Of Never Sold It. The Other Track Is In Lacross Wi.

There's no strip in Lacrosse. Everybody here either goes to Rock Falls, Byron, or Cedar Rapids. Usually Rock Falls...

:thumblef:
Just tryin' to clear my foggy memory. Was your 67 442 maroon by any chance?
yes it was . my wife drove the car in powder puff classes also. car ran on nhra national record 12.40's, I'm trying to find the car and buy it back. Note on shock removal on T/bar cars. car will not bounce with shocks removed. in the late 1960's most ss class cars removed them to get frt end up faster. I put shocks back in for 4 runs, and it went slower and didn't handle any better. so they have been removed again.

Next time you go to Lakeland,inbox me and let me know cuz I'll meet you up there.
I'm going to try to race next sat. 6/18 at Sunshine drag strip test and tune 9 am to 3pm and then in the bracket race at 6pm. my friend Bill Simons is going to bring his 69 dart also, he is running a 408 small blk stroker with a glide. my 360 bore with 904 trans is a little faster. are cars are both yellow with black stirpe on rear.I will let you know next time I go to Lakeland. Thanks Gary:toothy2:

I built and operate a Drive in Theater here in Chetek Wisconsin just south east of Comstock. Tenora Dragstrip is a bit of a legend around here. Talked about but no one seems to have a picture or a bumper sticker or any other thing from there. Do by any chance have a picture or 2 you could post from there or a scan of a bumper sticker, I have looked a long time and found nothing. It would awesome on the Drive In theater lobby. I am restoring a car and would like to have something in the window. Thanks, Paul

Paul I will try to find some old pic's, go online to Google earth and zoom in on the north end of Staples LAKE, About 5 miles west of Comstock and you will see the old dragstrip Thank You Gary email add flboatman1@yahoo.com

Yeah, thats Minnesota Dragways, it was like around Anoka area. Back in the day when it closed, I think Yamaha bought the track for testing or something like that.
Yep......it's still a Yamaha R&D center.
Twin Cities in Blaine was my first taste. Later known as Northstar. They had the 1/2 mile dirt oval too.
Grove Creek in Litchfield is the local 1/8th and Rock Falls is a very nice facility , but longer tow for me.
To the O.P. , it's hard to advise not knowing what is in there now......but cast iron heads and no front shocks would be two areas I got curious about real quick.
The shocks , because it really should have them
And the heads , because W-2's are cast iron......they might be good heads.
1 7/8 primaries on the headers are promising........the previous owner did that right , but everything else is just a guess.

-
Back