New rear leaf springs, Mopar, Espo, Eaton Detriot, or Hotchkis

-
ir3333 I'm loving that Y2 69. I was thinking about going white with the interior on my swinger. Is that a factory white interior car?

That's a good price, but they are also a 2 1/2" lift spring. I didn't search their site, but if you're looking for an accurate reproduction, I would go with a stock height spring or maybe a +1" spring.

You could always find a spring shop and have your stock springs re-arched and an additional leaf added. There has to be a good spring shop somewhere in the Chicago area?

BTW I used ESPO +1 springs on my Dart and this is how it sits three years later
Hey BrianT, what size tires and wheels are you running on your dart? I just put the Espo +1 on my 71 Dart and it lowered it considerably. Almost to the point the tires are rubbing the fenderwells? I'm running 15" with 60 s in the back and I'm not real happy with the clearance. I think the ones I pulled off were super stock,
IMG_6702.jpg
Hey BrianT, what size tires and wheels are you running on your dart? I just put the Espo +1 on my 71 Dart and it lowered it considerably. Almost to the point the tires are rubbing the fenderwells? I'm running 15" with 60 s in the back and I'm not real happy with the clearance. I think the ones I pulled off were super stock,

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on buying some new rear leaf springs for my 340 swinger. It seams that everyone is using one of these companies on their A Body. Espo seems to be the cheapest. I'm kinda afraid of buying from mopar fiat performance,Hotchkis lowers the car and well Eaton is way more expensive than the rest but they are supposed to build from factory blueprints.
SO 3 questions,
1 Who makes the most accurate reproduction leaf springs for my 69 340 swinger?
2 Are Eaton Detroit springs worth the extra $$ ?
3 Who makes the longest lasting most durable springs?

I may go back to the 2 1/2 super stocks, if I do, I have a brand new set of Espo +1 that are on my 71 Dart.

Attachments

• 2012-07-21_13-20-41_951.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 403
I might run em? Not sure I like the stance. But the ride is great. If I pull them, it will be next week and I'll let you know, I paid $107.00 a side. Have the new shackles, but used the old ones. An inch higher. How does $175.00 plus the ride sound?
P m your info if interested.
Thanks.
Jim

I put Eaton replacement HD springs on my 67 fastback, must have been 1988 or so. Ride height is still good, but I'm thinking the bushings need replacement. Out on the road course the rear seemed a little loose.

I was also thinking of adding another half leaf to the front half (this stiffens them for launch and roll, without affecting the ride). So taking them to a local spring shop seems the ticket. Of course, this is around #17 in my list of things to do.

I put Eaton replacement HD springs on my 67 fastback, must have been 1988 or so. Ride height is still good, but I'm thinking the bushings need replacement. Out on the road course the rear seemed a little loose.

I was also thinking of adding another half leaf to the front half (this stiffens them for launch and roll, without affecting the ride). So taking them to a local spring shop seems the ticket. Of course, this is around #17 in my list of things to do.

That's good info, thanks.

First pic was original stance, how I bought it, this is the new stance.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 409
ir3333 I'm loving that Y2 69. I was thinking about going white with the interior on my swinger. Is that a factory white interior car?
yes,legendary replacement,but not quite white.1969 was actually pearl.
A friend has the correct pearl paint for my hinge covers,windlace etc.

yes,legendary replacement,but not quite white.1969 was actually pearl.
A friend has the correct pearl paint for my hinge covers,windlace etc.

Well it looks great. I think the pearl goes well with Yellow. My 69 came with black bench seat interior originally . The bench was long gone when I bought it. I picked up some 69 cuda buckets that I plan on redoing in the dart gt pattern. Black interior looks great but it's hot as hell in a no a/c car in the summer time.

Hey BrianT, what size tires and wheels are you running on your dart?

They are 15X10 with a 3 1/2" back space, tires a 325/50/15. My car has been mini tubbed and has a narrowed Strange 60 rear end in it.

The best way to find out what tire will fit in your car is to use this method...

How to properly measure for correct wheels

I measured about twenty times before ordering my wheels, but when they arrived they fit like a glove. Good luck!

They are 15X10 with a 3 1/2" back space, tires a 325/50/15. My car has been mini tubbed and has a narrowed Strange 60 rear end in it.

The best way to find out what tire will fit in your car is to use this method...

How to properly measure for correct wheels

I measured about twenty times before ordering my wheels, but when they arrived they fit like a glove. Good luck!
That's some good info. I'm thinking of just going with stock steel wheels to avoid the trouble of tire rub. the 14x7 aluminum slots on my dart hit the wheel well with out the 70's hot rod air shocks aired up. there isn't much room with the stock axle and leaf spring set up. Seems to be hard to find a good set of stock sbp 340 rims though.

Here is what I pulled out of the 71 Dart. Can anyone identify these for me please? They have Chrysler markings on them??
Thanks

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 314
  • photo1.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 300
Actually. 002,003 are mopar superstock 3000 lbs springs for a A body.
But I may be wrong,have been before.

I live about 40 miles from espo stopped one day and talked with them I think he told me they make springs for mancani, Thay also make a hd spring for mopar A bodies which is very nice. I ended up buying a stock pair of a member that took them off the car in 69 they were like new and Im very happy, but I would have given espo the business if I had to buy them, they also stock all bushings, shackles etc. real good prices.

Anyone know what the story is on the super stock springs? They are two completely different springs, arched differently with the same number of leafs, 5. On the car, will one collapse more than the other for an even ride? Or does the driver side sit higher and then come down at launch?? This stupid spring this is killing me.
Ready, fire, aim. That's my new motto!!
Thanks

-
Back