New rims/tires rubbing I NEED HELP

-

HOTRODSATHER

Reaction score
I just installed the magnum force racing 2in dropped spindles on my 71 plymouth duster with willwood drilled and slotted 12.19 inch disk brakes, I ordered American racing 16x7 torque thrust II's. They have 4 in backspacing. Im running 225/55/16's and Now there are rubbing against the inside of the upper fender well and the back of the tire iss rubbing against the front of the fenderwell when i turn. Anyone have a similar combo or ideas? I cant post pics till tomorrow or monday. I can buy new rims if I have to but I would prefer to make these ones work as a 700$ hit in the pocket is gonna make it much harder for me to buy a house this summer. Should I do more back spaing or what? I found a tire that will drop my diameter by 1.75 in but I dont think that will be enough, maybe, but for 300 for two of them Im thinking I might as well get new rims. This is only for the front btw.

Have you aligned the front end yet? Some times if the alignment is out it will cause rubbing problems that aren't related to the wheels. Just a thought.

No, I have not aligned the front end yet, Im not to familiar with that yet. Ive never done it before. Thanks for the replys I hope I dont have to buy new rims either but if I do Ill pry do 16x6's with 4 inches of backspacing

Oversized wheels combined with drop spindles doesn't sound logical to me.
Subscribed to learn. Good luck

If you have another pair of wheels and tires that fit, put them on and take it to an alignment shop. Put your new tires and wheels on the car and have them put it on the alignment rack. Once it's aligned, you will be able to see if what you have will work. Just my .02.

Bill S.

Not a bad idea.I dont have a day of till thurs. Ima try to get these ones to fit. I dont wanna do much lower profile tires. Ive accepted at this point Im probly gonna have to spend about 900 bucks on new rims and tires and try to sell these ones, maybe I can get 300 for them. Well see, Im gonna try to upload pics.

Just to be clear, what adjustments can I make exactly, What exactly do the cam bolts adjust and I know what my tie rod can do, can adjuting my torsion bar do anything and if so what? Also does anyone wanna buy me new rims and tires. Im a nice guy Im willing to let you....

The T bar adjustment will control how high the car rides in the front. The cam bolts controls camber. Tie rod ends control the toe. Or have i got that backwards? You can get it close at home but as others have said it would need a fine tune at a shop that has a clue.
Small Block

I don't think this is something an alignment will fix. You took a wide tire and shoved it 2" up inside the fender- True. What exactly is chamber( Cam bolt?) How much adjusmen t do I have in the t bar, Im probly gonna buy new ones anyway. How big will I need to go Iam going to be putting a 383 in here soon, I know I cant align it perfect but I need to get it close enough to drive to the align ment place
9$ blocks away) Im pretty much set that I need new rims and tires I was thinking 17x6 with 4 inches back spacing that would give me an inch inside the fender or maybe go a lot further and do like 16x4 with 2.25 inches back or16x5 3.25 or 3 inches back. I just dont wanna get a rim noone makes a tire for.

Any one have any rim suggestions, The torque thrust II's can go as low as 16x 5.5 but thats only and inch and a half, I think they rquire 3.5 back spacing. I have to have 16's becuase I have the willwood 12.19 inch disk brakes( DRILLED AND SLOTED!) I would kinda like to show them off but I may have to go with the outlaws at this point simply so I can get rims small enough? ANyone have a similar setup with garunteed size combo that works?

if it were me , i would not do anything with the ride height or alignment until you get that big block in there or you may end up doing it twice

Yah, but I need a vehical to drive for a few months while I save some money and get into my own home. Im probly gonna get the bb in there make sure it all fits and then take it all the way down and completely re do it, you know bare steel paint rebuild engine and tranny fiberglass this and that.

So, I folded in the inner fender lip today and cut out on of the fender mounts and that helped a lot, did some searhing and found some smaller tires- 205/50/16 and 195/45/16 Im not sure which on to get im probly gonna get the 195 just to be safe. Anyone know what the mesurements of these tires would be? I need diameter, width and profile height.

I have 205/50/16 BF Goodrich g-force super sport tires on 16x7 torq thrust II wheels for the front of my 73 duster. I think they have around 4" of backspacing. I bought the wheels and tires off a guy that had them on his mustang. I measured the width between the widest part of the sidewalls is almost exactly 9" I looked them up and according to the BF Goodrich website these tires are 24.1" in diameter. These tires are shorter than what I would like. When I wear them out I will likely go with a 225/50 tire with a diameter of 24.9".
I have a ways to go before the car will be road ready and I have only eyeballed the alignment, but I can steer lock to lock without any rubbing. My setup is basically stock except for larger torsion bars and a Hellwig swaybar. If I had drop spindles I think they would be awfully close to the fender lip above the tire and might rub on turns.

The drop spindles are most likely your problem. I run 17x8s with 4.5" backspacing on the front with 235/45zr17 tires with no issues whatsoever. Put stock spindles back on it.

It sounds like you spent a crapload of money just guessing what would fit, when for 75 dollars you wouldda KNOWN what would fit.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PHP-01201/

I don't think your solution is cutting mounts out of your car and butchery. You should have done more planning. Not trying to be smart or offensive, I am just being truthful.

I just installed the magnum force racing 2in dropped spindles on my 71 plymouth duster with willwood drilled and slotted 12.19 inch disk brakes, I ordered American racing 16x7 torque thrust II's. They have 4 in backspacing. Im running 225/55/16's and Now there are rubbing against the inside of the upper fender well and the back of the tire iss rubbing against the front of the fenderwell when i turn. Anyone have a similar combo or ideas? I cant post pics till tomorrow or monday. I can buy new rims if I have to but I would prefer to make these ones work as a 700$ hit in the pocket is gonna make it much harder for me to buy a house this summer. Should I do more back spaing or what? I found a tire that will drop my diameter by 1.75 in but I dont think that will be enough, maybe, but for 300 for two of them Im thinking I might as well get new rims. This is only for the front btw.

The issue is the tire is too tall for the backspacing he speced out; 4.0"

15x7 rallyes with 4.25 backspacing and 225/60/15 that are 25.5 diameter tires are very close. You have 4.0" backspacing and 25.75 diameter tires (pretty close to 25.5).

If you ran 4.5 backspacing 16x7 rim that would help a bunch. It will pull the tire in 1/2 inch from what you have now. Does that seem enough?

What is your strut rod situation? Rubber, poly, adjustable? If you have pulled an adjustable strut rod too far foward it will pull the tire closer to the front bottom fender lip edge.

Another thing is, how servere is the rubbing. Just a little bit when at extremes in certain situations. Or like, you have to stop turning the wheel because it sound like you are going to cut a tire. Pics would really help.

@ BLOWN71DUSTER- Thank you very much. @ Strokerscamp- I put a little planning into it but yah I coulda done more- It all started with a broken ball joint and then snowballed fromthere, its kinda hard to explain. But I didnt want to find a new stock A-arm, so I got a tubular one, made to fit the bigger ball joint of a 73, so I figured hey I make good money know Im not my buddy alex here (long explaination) So they had stock heigth and 2in lowered I liked the lowered look and I was excited about getting drilled and slotted sick brakes, so Im like hell yes. Then I needed new rims for the new spindles and to fit the brakes and I order ones that looked kool and eyeballed based upon the old rims. So I think were I really jumped the gun was the rims. now that I think about it It would look kool with stock hieght front end and a slightly jacked up back......maybe Ill order stock hieght spindles. also please dont critisize my spelling I went to public school.

one rim them offer in the style I like is a 16x5.5 with I cant remember the back spacing but I do remember thinking that it would bring the outside of my rim in .50 of an inch also the tires rub when I lock them in either direction on the top, I will post pics tomorrow.

-
Back