New Scamp Owner

-

timfromme

Reaction score
Hi, people. I just purchased an unmolested 1973 Plymouth Scamp with 38,660 miles on it. I don't know if I should keep it original or modify it. I do want to mod it so bad though. I am glad that I found this forum cause I have so many questions about mopars.

PLimg_Fullsize.jpg

That's a beauty. And with only 38,000 miles? obviously garage kept.
What type to mods are you thinking about?
My vote is to either 1.) keep it original - you just don't get to see many in their original state very often, or 2.) limit any mods to those which can be reversed so as to put it back original. You may or may not keep the car, and the next owner may pay out the big bucks for a true original.
Just my 2 cents, and I usually get change back...
C

Welcome to the board from another Scamp owner!:thumbup:
Stock is boring i vote for modifying it!:burnout:

That's a beauty. And with only 38,000 miles? obviously garage kept.
What type to mods are you thinking about?
My vote is to either 1.) keep it original - you just don't get to see many in their original state very often, or 2.) limit any mods to those which can be reversed so as to put it back original. You may or may not keep the car, and the next owner may pay out the big bucks for a true original.
Just my 2 cents, and I usually get change back...
C

I agree. Unmolested cars are getting more rare everday, it's only original once.

Nice car, enjoy it!

Welcome. Very nice car. I'd love to have that one. What did you pay for it ?
What goodies does it have ?

If it's truely original and a "survivor", I'd leave it alone. If there is something that has been changed like the engine, or trans, or if it has had a paint job on even part of it, I'd modify the heck out of it. I love Scamps that are built.

The only things that has been replaced is the headlights (switched to halogen, I still have the sealed beams), second battery, second set of tires, second fan belt, second wiper blades. The interior is mint. I do not need to repair or replace anything. Everything works including the optioned $60.15 AM radio. I have the window sticker, owners manual, and all the rest of the paperwork. I have the broadcast sheet which I found on top of the glove box. She has the original paint, vinyl roof, 225 ci slant-six, and torqueflite. Still have the original spare tire. Window sticker states the cost was $3209.40 I paid $4500 for her. Paint colors are honey gold, gold interior, gold top. My problem is that I have this 440 right here next to me................

It'll cost an arm and a leg to put the 440 in that car. It doesn't have enough suspension, brakes, or even enough space for a big block. It can be done...
but please don't.

Hi neighbor. timfromme= Tim from ME. I know where Brunswick is. I used to live up in Aroostook county Maine near the border. I now live in Old Town just above Bangor.

I found the Scamp in Millinocket, ME. I love this car. I am itching to mod it.
Thanks to all who welcomed me to this site.

I used to own a twin the your car but mine had a bigblock in it. It was a super cool sleeper. It's nice that it is all original but getting rid of the slant six isn't going to hurt you. I would think more people would be willing to pay more money for it with a v-8 rather than a slant six. Would be a cool looking car & would be super sweet to open the hood & see a 440 that looks like it is stock under the hood.

I originally had an 84 Monte Carlo SS project car then I found this Scamp. Bought the Scamp immediately and sold the Monte Carlo on ebay the following week. I'm still selling off chevy stuff on ebay and in the local ads. I had to have this car. I'm sorry, I just dropped off the 440 block and the 383 closed chamber heads I had at the machine shop today. The slant six for only having that many miles had developed an exhaust leak coming from the front of the engine in the three weeks that I owned her. Its making a knocking noise and you can see slight exhaust smoke around the exhaust manifold next to the water inlet. Cylinder 1? No noise from the rest of the engine area. Checked for cracks around the manifold but don't see any. She makes enough power though. It kinda looks like exhaust coming out between the head and block? Head and manifold? Bad gasket? Engine fan blows the exhaust away from the front area. I hope its not a rod! I can make a video with sound but where do I post that. Not loosing coolant or oil. Just makes a constant tock tock tock tock noise from the front. I would like to save the slant six. Dose'nt make the noise if I let off the gas going down hill, just when I give it gas.

Yep!! My vote would be small upgrades and leave as is.
Glad you found this great site and hope you enjoy all the great tec's and folks here. Nice Plymouth:thumbrig:

Nice car, I just recently purchased a '73 scamp myself attempting at the whole restore boom. I have done a lot of repairs myself already, I can't figure out why I have to slam the gear shift up multiple times to get it to start if you or antone knows what my problem is I would appreciate a little help.

Cedrick

:wave:
I originally had an 84 Monte Carlo SS project car then I found this Scamp. Bought the Scamp immediately and sold the Monte Carlo on ebay the following week. I'm still selling off chevy stuff on ebay and in the local ads. I had to have this car. I'm sorry, I just dropped off the 440 block and the 383 closed chamber heads I had at the machine shop today. The slant six for only having that many miles had developed an exhaust leak coming from the front of the engine in the three weeks that I owned her. Its making a knocking noise and you can see slight exhaust smoke around the exhaust manifold next to the water inlet. Cylinder 1? No noise from the rest of the engine area. Checked for cracks around the manifold but don't see any. She makes enough power though. It kinda looks like exhaust coming out between the head and block? Head and manifold? Bad gasket? Engine fan blows the exhaust away from the front area. I hope its not a rod! I can make a video with sound but where do I post that. Not loosing coolant or oil. Just makes a constant tock tock tock tock noise from the front. I would like to save the slant six. Dose'nt make the noise if I let off the gas going down hill, just when I give it gas.
Welcome Tim! I'm kinda the same way on the left coast - original owner of a '83 15th Anniversary Hurst Olds but never lost my urge to have another A-body Mopar. Finally made the decision when I had the opportunity to pick up an unfinished project '69 Dart w/380-horse 360 crate motor at a good price. Gonna put the H/O up for sale on eBay soon to help finance the Dart build. Again, welcome to this great site.

Thats a nice car! and welcome. I know the 225 is not the sexiest in the world, but you have a clean original car. IMO a 440 would be cool to have, but that car never to my knoledge came with one. I would go with a small block, its allot easier of a swap. But then again you would be changing it from original anyway. Oh well, Thats a tough one.

Im changing mine out but it was NOTHING near as clean as yours.

Your tick might be a lifter, mine has the same.

Congrats on the new car! I have a '71 Scamp that just came back from paint and body work. IMHO, go for any mods you want. This is YOUR car and you should make any changes that make YOU happy. Besides, these were never more than grocery getters. They never came with anything bigger than a 318and they never were muscle cars, ie. will never really grow in value. A ton of these were produced, so a 225 /6 Scamp is a perfect sleeper base car to build on.

Congrats on the new car! I have a '71 Scamp that just came back from paint and body work. IMHO, go for any mods you want. This is YOUR car and you should make any changes that make YOU happy. Besides, these were never more than grocery getters. They never came with anything bigger than a 318and they never were muscle cars, ie. will never really grow in value. A ton of these were produced, so a 225 /6 Scamp is a perfect sleeper base car to build on.

I agree GoFish!
Got any pics. of your Scamp?

Hi people, thanks for your many inputs. Not many old cars are left around here and I do get many looks with her. I had people stop by my car in the grocery parking lot, get out of their car and look at mine. I thought about keeping the slant six and adding a 4bbl set up and headers. The vinyl roof is discolored in a couple places and would like to replace it with a black one. I also want to replace the big hub caps, refinish the steel wheels, and put baby moons on her. There is a small dent on the front fender that happened when the car was new. The lady that owned it never had it repaired. The paint wasn't harmed so she left it. I feel the car sits kinda low in the rear and would like to raise it up a bit. I had people at work tease me that she would make a great low-rider. Do I need different shackles, shocks, leafs, all three?

Hey, anybody know where and what kind of rear end I can put in my Scamp if I decide to go with the 440? Do I have to find an older mopar with a 8 3/4 rear or can I use something easier to find and a lot cheaper like a Ram pick-up or Jeep rear end. I don't have a problem shortening the rears since I do weld. I have many questions. Tim

Nice car, I just recently purchased a '73 scamp myself attempting at the whole restore boom. I have done a lot of repairs myself already, I can't figure out why I have to slam the gear shift up multiple times to get it to start if you or antone knows what my problem is I would appreciate a little help.

Cedrick

cgrantnavet
There is a switch so that the car cannot be started in gear. I do not remember the correct name for it. Got it now. It is the neutral safety switch. Here is an article on it and where it is found etc
http://www.1aauto.com/1A/NeutralSafetySwitch/Dodge

-
Back