New spring install?

-
had same problem on 71 Duster with SS springs...needed to jack up body and let rear end hang...then pull back on rear shackles to get them to move..then slowly lower weight of car onto springs..pulling back on the shackles...

The hole will be welded this week-end.
When I bought the 72 Swinger. The guy gave me a 1970 B body 8 3/4 and these springs. Could it be that the springs are for a B-body? Are B-body springs shorter than A-body?
A guy at my local parts shop, suggested that I make a couple of spacer blocks and install in back of the shackle bracket.
So, how do I tell if these are SS springs?
Also, is there a left and right?

The hole will be welded this wek-end.
When I bought the 72 Swinger. The guy gave me a 1970 B body 8 3/4 and these springs. Could it be that the springs are for a B-body? Are B-body springs shorter than A-body?
A guy at my local parts shop, suggested that I make a couple of spacer blocks and install in back of the shackle bracket.
So, how do I tell if these are SS springs?
Also, is there a left and right?

70aarcuda is on the right track with his advise if you have enough spring there to get them to flip the right direction.

If not, I wouldn't use a spacer. A spacer is OK if need a little but it looks like you need 4" or 5". That's huge.

Is that pic with the rear suspension loaded or hanging?

The rear is bare. No rear end, shocks, etc. I was going to hang the springs. Then slide the rear end over the springs and tie it down. Then put the shocks on.
I tried loading the spring by putting a floor jack under it and lifting. All it did was push the shackle higher.

Ok here you go:

the superstock MP springs.

002 = right is 51 1/2 roughly from hole to hole
003 = left is 52 1/2 roughly from hole to hole

(within 1/4 inch error)

Yes, there is a left and right handed spring. If they are MP springs the right hand part number is even and the left hand part number is odd.

That one does look like it is a little far forward. The springs will "lengthen (get longer)" when you put weight on them and may end up sitting correctly. Finish putting it together and drop it down on its wheels and see how it sits.

with the rear end hanging...and yes...i had 3rd member and axles and tires on rear...i wrapped a chain around the rear bumper and used the engine hoist to pick up the rear of the car....

i used a big bar...and wedged it in the shackles ..and pulled them down..one side at a time...once i got the angle almost perpendicular ...i slowly let the car down and the weight of the car pushed them back some more.....

Ok, here's an update. As you can see in the first photo (above), the shackles were almost horizontal. I hooked a come-along to the shackles and hooked it to one of the tow rings, on the front of my truck. I had the rear end hanging. Now the shackles are almost perpendicular. But I can't pull them any further because it starts to pull the whole rig.
Also, what would the ride be like with the shackles the way they are?
Any ideas?
Thanks

I don't think the axle is mounted yet. According to his earlier post anyway.

Ok, here's an update. As you can see in the first photo (above), the shackles were almost horizontal. I hooked a come-along to the shackles and hooked it to one of the tow rings, on the front of my truck. I had the rear end hanging. Now the shackles are almost perpendicular. But I can't pull them any further because it starts to pull the whole rig.
Also, what would the ride be like with the shackles the way they are?
Any ideas?
Thanks

You can't tell anything until everything is together and weight is on the suspension.

rearsusp1.jpg

Not sitting on the tires. Axles are in. Just haven't mounted the tires. I have it sitting on jacks, under the spring plates. So it's like it's sitting on the tires. Is it going to make that much of a differance, if I set it down on the tires?
I'm kinda at a loss, here. They are the correct springs. Shackles are correct.

Did you torque everything down? If so loosen the bolts in the springs and shackles, set it down and then tighten.

our 71 Duster with the 002/003 SS spring is in the Acceptable Position..that is as far as I can get them to go back.....

I saw a picture where someone made a spacer that goes between the frame and shackle mount...which in effects moves the angle back....

This Duster is used for bracket racing and generally 60 fts 1.590 to 1.62....so I dont think it is really having an effect on the car hooking.

Well, I finally have the shackles at 30 degrees back. I cut 8 ea. 1/4" plates. Four, each side, as spacers. I ended up using 4 on each. Then I hooked a chain around the spring and hooked a come-along to the front of my truck again. Several cranks and I had them where they should be. Torqued everything down and now it's on to mounting the shocks.
Thanks, everyone for your help.

-
Back