New Springs

-

mopardude62

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Due to a noticeable lean to the right, I'm going to be ordering new rear leaf springs for my 1967 Barracuda.

View attachment Listing to Right.jpg

I have approximately 13/16" lean to the right when compared to the left side. I measured from the top of the arch on the unibody down to the top of the axle housing.

View attachment Left & Right Axle Compare.jpg

You can also see the difference between the top of the tires and the wheel opening on each side.

View attachment Left & Right Tire Compare.jpg

Where is the best place to get new leaf springs? I'd like stay away from springs made of Chinese steel, but I will probably have no choice. What places do you guys recommend for replacement springs.

Not sure why you wouldn't want steel from some of the newest, most technologically sophisticated steel mills in the world, but to each his own.

No matter which springs you decide on, do yourself a favor and use fresh bushing and lube them and your new rear shock's bushings with some synthetic disc brake grease. The rear suspension will work with much less stiction. Be sure to use fresh u-bolts and nuts too, and re-torque them a few times too.

Not sure why you wouldn't want steel from some of the newest, most technologically sophisticated steel mills in the world, but to each his own.

Huh? What?

Just got mine through PST. They are just supplier, not sure who makes them but came from (JJS ?) for my 72 Demon. My front hanger is for 1/2" bolt, new springs have 5/8" eye, will have to drill out front hanger and get new bolts. Other than that all appears well except shackle mount eye was rusted out. Will have to rebuild that. Seems like I always find something else to fix when I try to fix another.

espo have always been good for me.. i'm now running eaton springs made here in the USA. like them so far..

I got mine from general spring look them up (www.generalspring.com) got mine for my demon with a 2 1/2 inch lift and love the stance and ride !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they have the brackets u bolts bushings !!!!!!!

i had ss springs,went to 2" over espo and the ride is not as harsh.2 years old and no sag

I currently have ss springs. I really like them, but sometimes I do wonder, what if I had gotten the espo's... lol both are really good springs but the espo's sound to be more daily

...why not get one pinched to match the other?
A good spring shop can do this in a few minutes with your springs assembled but off the car of course
..don't let them tell you they have to dis-assemble them.

I got mine from general spring look them up (www.generalspring.com) got mine for my demon with a 2 1/2 inch lift and love the stance and ride !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they have the brackets u bolts bushings !!!!!!!

Same ones I got. Love mine too. The car's old springs were sagging real bad so instead of 2 1/2" of lift I got more like 4"!

Attachments

• 151011_003.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 209
  • 151011_001.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 181
Before you rush out, you might want to check your T-bar preloads.If your front is crooked so will be your rear. And vice versa.
The very first thing I do is; air up the front tires and inspect the LCA bushings.If the bushings are bad, they will have to be replaced first.Then I empty out the trunk and backseat.
Then, assuming the bushing pins are well-centered, to check that the front is level, I will need to ensure that the front suspension is relaxed. I do this by just rolling the car back and forth,two or three feet,on a flat level concrete floor. Next I jack up the back of the car with a floorjack,centered under the diff. But between the jack and the diff, I put a wooden block, to sit level, and on top of that I set a steel bar parallel to, and on,the vehicle centerline. I then continue jacking, until the vehicle shows air under both rear wheels. The vehicle is now sitting on three points and the front can be checked for levelness.
Next I jounce the front up and down to relax the shocks, and make sure neither side is sticking. I then open the hood and put a level across the rad core support.If it is level, the back is done;time for springs. But more than likely it is not. So then I start cranking the T-bars around to make it so.I alternate between sides, and relax the shocks after each adjustment, with a fresh jounce.
Once the front is level, I remove the floorjack, and reinspect the rear for levelness.

I tell you this because 13/16 is an awful lot of sag. Your springs may be done, but you might as well check and correct the front.It may be that by correcting the front, the rear sag is reduced to a tolerable level.Or perhaps not.

Not knowing how long you've owned the car, I'd say ^^^^ first cause I don't
think any of My rides, even 50yr. old have had one side drop that far.

-
Back