New Springs

-

93toyota

Reaction score
Ordered new leafs from summit today and expecting to get them next week. They are drag launch ss rated from 3000-3200lbs is what the techie told me. They were 3412002 and 3412003 and cost 241.40 to the door. Ill post some picks before and after so yall can get an idea.

I run them on my car. Get ready for the rear to raise up 2 or 3"

They are good springs, got them on both my cars.When installing, don't get the sides mixed up, 002 and 003. I don't recall off the top of my head which one goes on what side, but the Mopar performance chassis book will tell you. Maybe some one on the site can chime in. Also I would use the M/P long shocks w/ them, either for Auto or stick shift.
They are a little stiff but not that bad IMO. Like Adam said they will give you car a little rake (60's style).
Have fun Dave C.

Heres how my car sits with them.

IM000584.gif

This is actually 1" lower then they sat with the stock front hangers.

i would run the longer shocks with a longer rear shackles. if you don't, i have seen the stock shocks top out & lift the left rear tire off the ground when the car is launched. alot of it will depend on how hard your car leaves.

Id spend the $60 for the long shocks. If not, if the car hooks when the body rises off the suspension you may top out the shock and loose traction.

I lowered my Duster 2" by flipping the front hangars and still needed longer shocks. Pressed the bushings out of some Dakota shocks and modified them to fit.

well I don't plan on doing much racing for at least a year. I just want some rake and some suspension. Right now my leafs are frowning just to give you an idea. I wll post some before and afters

All right here it is, if you plan on putting on new leafs, GET NEW U-BOLTS WHETHER OR NOT YOU THINK YOU WILL BREAK THEM. I spent 3 hrs on them with a breaker bar, a racthet and wrenches. I got the u-bolt nuts 1/2" from coming off and they stopped. Then could'nt tighten them to go to the auto shop. So I drove to it the next day with the springs dangleing ( reaaaalllly slow) and began to tackle. I used an impact gun rated to 650 ft lbs and Zep. No worky. Torch, no worky. So I got a 3/4" breaker bar and a 6ft cheater bar or 1" pipe and tighten them enough to clean the threads. Then..snap. S#!t. Broke one u-bolt. Oh well I still got one. Finished the other and dropped it down. Wow! I probably gained 6". My stock leaves were so bad that if I stood on them they flatened. Drove to napa and bought a bolt that is 8" long....it will work. Have'nt ran it yet but I know its faster and stiffer. Well here are the pics...

100_0317.JPG

100_0320.JPG

100_0319.JPG

100_0321.JPG

100_0318.JPG

100_0322.JPG

If they're on the wrong side the car can/could/will launch crooked or off track, depending on your power and drivetrain combination. :salut:

hell yes! I am gonna put some meats back there so I need all the room I can get, besides they are adjustable. Why do you ask?

you dont think thats a bit much ? You can only fit a 28" tire before it hits the front of the quarter.

I was able to fit 29x9 slick on my dart until I flipped my front hangers. That moved my axle ahead abit so now they
hit the the quarter,

does anybody make a front hanger that will lower the car
without moving the axle forward?

93toyota, I agree with ProStreetDuster about those long rear shackles. I'd go back to the stock type / length and take some of the height off the rear end and some of the pressure off that rear spring eye. As for the longer shocks, I have to put them on my Valiant this time around. When I removed the old 7 1/4" rear end last fall, both of my rear shocks had the outer sheilds buckled pretty badly, and after checking closely, it was apparent that I'd been over extending the shocks on launch and they had been beating themselves to death when the tortional stress of launch unloaded. This was with a 360 running about 360 - 380 flywheel horsepower, 2.96 rear gear, and a pinion snubber. The other reason to get your rear lowered, no pun intended, is for weight transfer on launch, which with your current rear height, isn't going to give you much traction. You should be able to put on quite a smoke show though. :thumblef:

I run the stock shackle in the rear, and still fit 29.5 x 11.5 15 in the wheel well, had to do some fine tuning on the spring clamps and outer lip, but nothing big! I use F-150 shocks and I think that they have worked the best! With this set up the car went 992 @ 148 frist time out!

-
Back