new to forum and have a question

-

mrsmothers

Reaction score
I bought a 65 cuda runs great has a 318 and a 4 speed . Only problem is it doesn't shift I drove it down the street went through all four gear pulled in the drive was put it in reverse and it hung in first. Well I got that free and now I don't have third and fourth. The first and second shift rod try to move when the third and fourth rod move. The trans is out of an f body. I have read on the fourms and that's how I got it in suck now I need to know how to adjust the shifter would like a little more play in it and it to shift correctly its a Hurst style shifter made by summit.

There is a locating hole on the bottom side of the shifter mech that you put a 1/4 drill (or something like that) and then adjust your rods to match.
As soon as I started reading your post I could tell that it was probably a linkage misalignment issue.

Might need to pull that shifter and clean it up then apply some light lube to it also, so the 3-4 rods don't drag when the 1-2 rod moves.

Could also be your shifter is dry spay the piss out of it with some white grease been there done that

Here is a picture of it let me know if anything is off . Got third and fourth back and the shift gate is so close its almost impossible to drive .

Attachments

• 20150527_173955.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 243
1st. flip the reverse lever over. It goes under not over like you have it
2nd What is the cotter pin doing in the shift lever. get the correct clips

Yes, reverse rod is flipped.
The front lever is one I have never seen before. That looks odd to me.

And, the levers have to be tight on the flats of the studs, before the nuts go on, or they will work loose, and drive you CRAZY. I usually red-loc-tite them, and let it set up.Then center the gate, like TB says, using a .250 ROD.( could be the shank end of a drill bit,as TB also mentioned). I use the pin from a Polaris ATV clutch. It is the exact right fit, and can be used with the trans installed
If you are trying to shift it on the bench, the brass rings will tend to lock onto their cones.When they do that,the clutch teeth may not be alligned. Then it will be very hard to engage that gear and also to engage a different gear. During bench-testing, the inputshaft should always be turning during the shift attempt.The speed of the input rotation is not important.It can even be rocked back and forth,. an inch or two. If the output shaft rotates with the input shaft, with the tranny in neutral, then a brass ring is locked on. To free it, one of the shafts needs to be anchored, and the other, forcibly rotated, or shocked.
Good luck

You do realize that this is a 4 speed overdrive tranny?
I suggest you get a factory service manual and it will show you how to properly set it up and adjust it. Look at one for a '76 aspen.
The shift rods don't look to be factory and might bind against one another causing a problem.
And yes, the reverse shift rod goes under the crossmember while the 1-2 and 3-4 go through it.
The levers bolted to the side case are on correctly for a 4 speed overdrive tranny, but i can't see the reverse lever in the picture.
It needs to face up like the rear one does.
Basically, to adjust the rods properly, you need to remove the rods from the shifter ends.
Then you manually put the 1-2 and 3-4 levers on the tranny in the neutral position.
(Make sure it's not in reverse)
Move the levers on the shifter so they all line up, there is a hole that goes through the levers at the bottom of the shifter, you can slip a 1/4'' drill bit or something similar through the hole to keep it aligned. I use a right angle allen wrench because it's easier to get in and out.
Adjust the swivel ends of the shift rods so they just fit into the holes where they belong.
Install the factory clips and it should shift all gears pretty good unless you have some binding.
Lubricating everything that moves helps a lot too.
Make sure the tranny fluid is full and in good shape, if not, change it. It takes roughly 7 pints or 3 1/2 quarts.
I hope this helps.
Tom.

if that doesn't help, its pretty common for the shifter box to need cleaning/ rebuild. Brewers probably has the parts to rebuild the shifter box.

BE forewarned, if you decide to tear down that shifter assembly; take lots of pics before, and during the process. There are not a lot of parts in there, but if you do the math, theres dozens of ways to put it back together, (about 648 ways,if my math is right)and only one right way. If you depend on your memory, it better be photographic, cause you could be there for hours,and hours,and.......
I know how it all fits,now; but I just toss it in the parts washer tank overnight, then blow it out the next day.Ive not seen any that needed parts. But then I havent seen many, either.

I may have the wrong lever the reverse lever is to short to put under the crossmember.maby I am doing it wrong.

Attachments

• 20150602_102913.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 119
here.

Attachments

• shifter.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 123
  • 4sp.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 104
-
Back