New To Helmets

-

805moparkid

Slant and AFX Guy
Reaction score
im looking to buy a helmet cuz the dart is close to breaking into the 13's...

so what helmet rating do i need? i would like to buy a helmet good for 10's or 9's cuz of the AFX...

so what do guys recommend? just want a plain open face helmet i can paint up....

Check out NHRA rules.Hhmmmm,a nasty wedge on the stand,and picking up a 63 Dart.(LOL)Check out Speedway,other circle track places.Usually tons cheaper than Summit ,Jegs.

Check out NHRA rules.Hhmmmm,a nasty wedge on the stand,and picking up a 63 Dart.(LOL)Check out Speedway,other circle track places.Usually tons cheaper than Summit ,Jegs.

the nasty wedge is for the AFX... till i can drop a big hemi in it...

but i will do that!

Lol! Grew up on a Maxie,70 R/T Challenger!I have been pounding on the owner for years.He wants to revive it.I need to get you pics,within 100 yards of my shop of 2 pro steet e bodies,and a low ten sec duster.

Here is something that was pulled from the NHRA rule book.

NHRA Helmet Expiration Dates

Label Expires
Snell 2000 1/1/2012
Snell 2005 1/1/2017
Snell 2010 1/1/2022
SFI 31.1A 1/1/2014
SFI 31.2A 1/1/2014

Label Expires
SFI 41.1A 1/1/2014
SFI 41.2A 1/1/2014
SFI 31.1/2005 1/1/2017
SFI 41.1/2005 1/1/2017
SFI 24.1 (JDRL only) 1/1/2015
SFI 24.1/2005 1/1/2017

Structural modifications to helmet/shield are prohibited. Cutting of helmet or helmet shield prohibited. Helmet must remain as manufactured, except for paint scheme/graphics and permitted nonstructural driver modifications to helmet shield as set forth below.

Taping or similar modifications to the helmet shield made by the driver that reduce the driver’s field of vision, and are deemed safe by driver in the driver’s judgment, are permitted at this time so long as the driver can demonstrate to technical inspectors that the purpose of the modification is to reduce distraction in the driver’s field of vision. By using such a modification to the helmet shield, the driver acknowledges and agrees that the driver deems such modification safe in the driver’s judgment consistent with the driver’s obligations in Section 1, Participant Agreements and

Administrative and Procedural Rules, set forth above, and that the modification does not impair or interfere with the safe operation of the driver’s vehicle. See General Regulations 7:8.

Here is something that was pulled from the NHRA rule book.

NHRA Helmet Expiration Dates

Label Expires
Snell 2000 1/1/2012
Snell 2005 1/1/2017
Snell 2010 1/1/2022
SFI 31.1A 1/1/2014
SFI 31.2A 1/1/2014

Label Expires
SFI 41.1A 1/1/2014
SFI 41.2A 1/1/2014
SFI 31.1/2005 1/1/2017
SFI 41.1/2005 1/1/2017
SFI 24.1 (JDRL only) 1/1/2015
SFI 24.1/2005 1/1/2017

Structural modifications to helmet/shield are prohibited. Cutting of helmet or helmet shield prohibited. Helmet must remain as manufactured, except for paint scheme/graphics and permitted nonstructural driver modifications to helmet shield as set forth below.

Taping or similar modifications to the helmet shield made by the driver that reduce the driver’s field of vision, and are deemed safe by driver in the driver’s judgment, are permitted at this time so long as the driver can demonstrate to technical inspectors that the purpose of the modification is to reduce distraction in the driver’s field of vision. By using such a modification to the helmet shield, the driver acknowledges and agrees that the driver deems such modification safe in the driver’s judgment consistent with the driver’s obligations in Section 1, Participant Agreements and

Administrative and Procedural Rules, set forth above, and that the modification does not impair or interfere with the safe operation of the driver’s vehicle. See General Regulations 7:8.

so i would be better off getting a Snell 2010 so it has a long life...

and Badart answered what would be my next question of when do you need a full facer 9.99...

so i guess next would be what brands are good/bad, what you guys like and dont like
:newb:

If you're looking at 10's or 9's, you need a Snell SA rated helmet. DO NOT buy a Snell M rated helmet. From www.helmetcity.com :
What are the differences between snell SA and snell M standards?
SA Standard was designed for auto racing while M Standard was for motorcycling and other motorsports. There are three major differences between them:
1.SA standard requires flammability test while the M standard does not;
2.SA standard allows narrower visual field than M standard (Some SA helmets may not be street legal);
3.SA standard has rollbar impact test while M standard does not.

I have an Impact helmet and I like it. I bought it at a local place so I could try it on.

I have this one. http://www.helmetcity.com/page/HC/PROD/Impact-Helmets/IMP17500 Yeah, they're expensive!

Looks good. I really like that style of helmet. My guess it that it will have some heavy metal flake on it soon?

My most recent helmet was getting close to expiring (and I got tired of the full face deal)so I just bought the Bell version of that helmet. This is my first real race helmet, as all the others were repurposed motorcycle helmets. It was more money, but its awesome.

Its much lighter and fits better, though I still look like the Great Gazoo wearing it.

I got the SA 2010.

I like the full face and I typically just get a plain white one. My caveat is I have to have enough room to sneak my glasses into them. I tried running without them.. I couldnt see the cones denoting the end of the 1/4...lol. I think I powered about 200' past the stripe.
Get one that fits nice and breathes well. The rest isn't a big deal.

I bought a Simpson helmet the same as the one posted.Safety is #1 with your pumpkin!:DIt came with different size inserts for fitment and yes you need to fit sunglasses on comfortably.Next will be a harness for your car.:burnout:

My most recent helmet was getting close to expiring (and I got tired of the full face deal)so I just bought the Bell version of that helmet. This is my first real race helmet, as all the others were repurposed motorcycle helmets. It was more money, but its awesome.

Its much lighter and fits better, though I still look like the Great Gazoo wearing it.

I got the SA 2010.

lol

I bought a Simpson helmet the same as the one posted.Safety is #1 with your pumpkin!:DIt came with different size inserts for fitment and yes you need to fit sunglasses on comfortably.Next will be a harness for your car.:burnout:

yea i need to figure out so real seats either i go a-100's or just a high back race bucket...

Looks good. I really like that style of helmet. My guess it that it will have some heavy metal flake on it soon?

lol no metal flake but i will just have to mess around...

-
Back