New to mechanics - advice welcome

-

Frank Bullitt

Reaction score
Hey hey, car fans, I've put some money aside, 6000.00, to buy a car from 1967. More particularly, my list of choices are GTO, Caprice, GTX or Cuda. Shopping around I've come to find my best choice would be the Caprice, they seem to be in the best and affordable condition between the four and I like the amount of trunk space, I can use that much for the band.

So, in terms of going out a viewing these cars, I've watched some youtube clips on what to look for and how to observe these cars. If you have any good advice on how to spend this budget, well, on one of these cars I would be happy to hear it.

:prayer: :burnout:

If you want a '67 model in a large car, find a Plymouth Fury sedan with a 318, it is a lot better car than a full size Chevy. Take your time looking.

LOL. You're askin the wrong crowd for advice on buying a GM

GTO and GTX will normally cost you more simply for collectability compared to a Caprice. You can "fix" that by scaling your choice down from a GTO to a Lemans, or a GTX to a Belvedere hard top.

Parts are likely to be more available and cheaper for a Chev, but frankly, I thought the design of the 67 Chevs were a complete dog. On the other hand I always thought the 67 GTO was pretty nice, design wise, along with any of the 67 Mopars. But if you are gonna go GM you might consider Chevelle, which is pretty much the same platform, comparably, as a GTO/ Lemans. So there you have it --personal preferences immediately surface.

But just about any of these cars are "what you make of them" as well as "what you start with." If you start with a rust bucket and bondo it together, that's what you'll have.

Do note that your on a "A" body "MoPar" board chock full of (for the most part) rabid or mentally disturbed MoPar owners!

With that said, the MoPar A body has the most common and easy to get parts even over the GM offerings. They offer a great bang for the buck, light weight for easy motion no matter the engine which equals either an easier time getting mileage or a low E.T.

This is the major response you get here.

As far as tools, I'd start with a few books on the car itself!

I assume 1967 holds a special place in your heart. If your not wedded to it, you may want to expand your search a little?

C'mon FABO.... seems like a strange post, no?

I DO have to wonder why a 'Stang isn't on the list!!!

xky73q.jpg

Bullitt_poster.jpg

If you're considering a full-size (and I don't where THAT 4th choice entered in the selection...or even why there IS only 4 choices..) go get a '67 Chrysler 300, Newport or New Yorker! Good lord, you'll have a shot at making a killing on "bang-for-the-buck"!

My spidey sense is tingling on this thread tooo......sort of "Cowboy-ish".

Jus go an hook up wit a hoopdie forum, yo. put some dubs on all dat.

Thanks for giving your feedback, this will help my learnin' curve. I ain't interested in destroyin' a car RustyRatRod ;]

I picked the the 67's because I like the design of the cars from that year.

I know any car I get into is going to become my religion for awhile since I don't expect the work I do for it to come easy. That said, I have been leaning toward the Chevy Caprice the more I read about these cars.

No matter what you decide on Frank, Mopar or otherwise, have fun with it! That's what these older cars are all about.:thumleft:

-
Back