New to Nitrous

-

bdusted440

Reaction score
Hey I bought a nos big shot two stage kit. Ive got the solinoids mounted and plumed to the plate. On the fuel side what psi and flowrate do I need? as ive never run nos im in for a big learning curve.In my day we just ran bigger badder motors when we wanted to go faster. Any help would be great

I'm not a nitrous guy, but to give you a bump.....

I can see you needing to maintain 6/6.5lbs of fuel pressure thruout, especially if you decide to run the "big" jets? I'd think a 3/8th's line from the tank forward and a good electric pump will at least keep you in the "safe" zone?

Like I said, this is just a thread bump. Good luck with it. Just keep it in a safe range.....Slow is better then "Kaboom! :)

I assume you've looked over instructions like this?...[ame]http://www.jegs.com/InstallationInstructions/700/741/741-02102.pdf[/ame]

It depends on the system and plate. You should ask the manufacturer for a starting point as in some cases 6+ will flood it bad. I used to run mine lower - 4-4.5psi. But they were smaller, and single stage. You will need to set that with both kits flowing - so take the plate and stick it over a bucket while you do it. It's also a good time to wet flow the NO2 fuel system to make sure you have the volume for it. I'm assuming you already have a dedicated pump/regulator for it. The instructions OmR posted says a tenth of a gallon per hour at 5 psi. I'd want to see twice that with the car sitting static, maybe more depending on how long the fuel lines are feeding the nitrous and where the regulator is.

YOu wil see that the jet sizes change depending on the pressure you run. My system came with the pressure setting and jet sizes to run

Hi, ran a Big Shot plate system back in 1990. on a 10.1 440-6 bottom end. Ran a seperate 1/2" line and blue race pump for N20 fuel alone (important), 5psi, as low as 4psi on 125hp jets. with 98 octane fuel (4 star UK pump at the time), timing 38 total, NGK B7S's, hit it off the line with 175hp jets, ran good no problems, never tipped a plug, 175 jets gave 8/10ths on my set up. They say retard ignition but its all relevant to your CR and fuel you use and the amount of N20 you put in.

Attachments

• 69CUDA.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 317
5psi for the fuel, 900psi for the bottle. Start small and retard your timing accordingly. What's your ring gap?...and do you have forged pistons, ARP rod bolts, etc??

When I ran the bottle on my old 360 combo, for a 180 shot I ran 27° timing, 5psi fuel pressure, NGK -9 plugs, all MSD ignition, + 110 race gas (only when I was spraying it, for detonation prevention). This took my car from 13.8's in the 1/4 mile to 11.1 @ 122mph in Denver Colorado.

Wow!!!...13.8 to 11.1.......... best I could manage on my old stock 340 '71 Cuda + a .590 solid cam running a 250 shot cheater system with 110/110 jets was from 12.4 n/a to 11.01, again with a similar set up as before......pic was from 1987, I must've been doing something wrong, thats awesome!!, never seen anybody gain that much without using foggers.

Attachments

• 71CUDA LAUNCH.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 299
I use to spray a 100 shot (47/53jets) on my small block Demon and it would pick up 7 1/2 tenths in the 1/8 when it hooked. 7teens to 6.40's.

Wow!!!...13.8 to 11.1.......... best I could manage on my old stock 340 '71 Cuda + a .590 solid cam running a 250 shot cheater system with 110/110 jets was from 12.4 n/a to 11.01, again with a similar set up as before......pic was from 1987, I must've been doing something wrong, thats awesome!!, never seen anybody gain that much without using foggers.

The larger than normal gain is partially due to running at high altitude (the track is 5800' above sea level), but I also built the engine specifically for nitrous use.

5.5psi flowing through a .073 jet. Do it at the track before you make your 1st pass. Bottle pressure @ 950-975 purge it down but don't go below 900. 950 typically works best and good for solenoids. Make sure you have colder plugs pull enough timing. Personally start with single stage 150hp and learn on that. And at that level you don't need a lot of extra fuel a fuel log with 2 regulators and done. And should drop approx. 1 sec pending car.
Good luck

Im starting with 53 jets n2o and fuel to start.one stage.im putting in a dedicated fuel cell and pump for just nitrous,I have a **** ton to learn.lolthe 5.9 magnum is all forged and balanced.I had it built for nitrous.9.5to1 cr.:burnout:I still have to pick a cam and heads to use as im gonna stop driving it on the street now that I have a 72 duster.

The first motor that I had in my Demon was a reringed 77 360 with stock compression and pistons a .474 lift mopar cam. I never sprayed less than 150 shot (73/82) and sprayed 175 (82/92) a few times. It had a carter mechanical fuel pump with 3/8 fuel line going to carb and nos. with a T. It picked up almost a second in the 1/8.

As others have stated, start with a single stage, and get that right, before even attempting the second stage.

PS: You have heard the saying "all throttle, no bottle". My 66 Cuda is "all bottle no throttle". Runs mid 17's on motor, and low 13's on spray, with a low of 12.90. Totally stock short block.

Check the jetting suggestions. If the fuel jet is bigger than the juice jet, it's really fat. There are some old instruction and revised ones. Monte Smith redid most of the jet packages IIRC.

Check the holley site for a new set of instructions.

I usually start with a fuel jet about 8-10 sizes smaller than the juice jet. Ask Monte Smith about that over at the bullet or slo... I mean moparts.

Honestly.... search Google results from yellow bullet. Big shot tuning is a beaten dead horse with loads of info

-
Back