New to the A body scene, school me!

-

Torkmnstr

Reaction score
Hey all I just picked up a 68 dart 270 with a 273. It is a clean runner and I am the second owner as it was in his family since 71! Motor and tranny have been rebuilt, upolhstry done, and much more. I will get some pics up when I pick her up on thurs. Well I am looking for the good and bad with these guys and what can be done with the 273 if any thing. Basically I need too know all about me! Thanks guys.

Welcome to FABO and World of Mopar! Not really up on the 273 per se, other than the fact that I want your adjustable rockers...LOL...I know the Commando was a killer motor back in the day. Should be plenty of guys with experience here to chime in.
In the mean time, welcome to the club and enjoy!

Hello from Minnesota! I swapped my /6 for a 360, which I'm swapping for a 440, so I'm no help on the 273. Sounds like you should of be able to enjoy your car right away, instead of having to build it before you play with it. Have fun!

Hello from sunny SoCal!!

Nice to see another member from California, but too bad you're all the way up north. Last time I we in your part of town I visited the Winchester House. That was pretty cool!!

Anyway... you have a pretty nice car. I'd swap out the 273 for a 360, but that's just me. I look forward to pictures when you have the chance.

Welcome aboard!

You are cubically challanged with that engine. What would you like to do with the car/engine?

Welcome to FABO and World of Mopar! Not really up on the 273 per se, other than the fact that I want your adjustable rockers...LOL...I know the Commando was a killer motor back in the day. Should be plenty of guys with experience here to chime in.
In the mean time, welcome to the club and enjoy!

what? i want you adjustable rockers?? what the hell did i miss?

Welcome aboard!

You are cubically challanged with that engine. What would you like to do with the car/engine?

I am thinking more along the lines of a pro touring feel. I want her to run like she's on rails, have you guys heard anything good about the hotchkis tvs system? As for motor I would eventually want to move up to a 340. As for now and funds allow probably bolt on stuff like manifold, mad excetra.

Do your suspension setup first. Then acquire the motor you want to use, take a real hard look at the late 80s/early 90s LA 360 Roller Block, pretty much the top dog of production LA blocks. That roller cam setup is a big advantage over standard flat tappet blocks.
Personally I'd just keep the 273 running (maybe swap on a 4 bbl intake and carb and that's it) because you want to swap out to a bigger motor later anyway. More money to build the bigger motor is always a plus.

I am thinking more along the lines of a pro touring feel. I want her to run like she's on rails, have you guys heard anything good about the hotchkis tvs system? As for motor I would eventually want to move up to a 340. As for now and funds allow probably bolt on stuff like manifold, mad excetra.

For the money you would put in a 340, plus the fact that these are getting harder to find , you would be better off buying a 360 and putting in a stroker kit to make it a 408 or 410 depending on the bore.

360s are externally balanced. As in the flywheel on a stick shift 360 is strategically drilled and lightened for balance, or the torque converter has a balance weight added to it.

You can get a stroker kit thats internally balanced , or get a stock 360 crank balanced at a machine shop, then you can use a neutral balance flywheel or torque converter without an external weight.

Oh that and electronic ignition conversion using a mopar dizzy , and a GM 4 pin module, and the 73 up A body or FMJ body disc brake conversion with 79 chrysler cordoba big discs and calipers.

Start with a good intake and carb.. I would say a nice performer rpm air gap or a good dual plane aluminum intake and good carb would be a good start

Start with a good intake and carb.. I would say a nice performer rpm air gap or a good dual plane aluminum intake and good carb would be a good start

X2! that's exactly what I did to my girlfriend 66 Barracuda with a 273. next I'd like to put a little stronger can in it. as it is the thing will shoot one tire fire as long as you hold the pedal down!

New to the scene and needing schooled, the first thing you'll need to do with a 68 270 is cram a big block in it. once you've done that your in the club.

If want it to handle well then do the suspension a chassis work first. You will be suprised how fun it is to drive an old car that can corner, even with a little 273. If I was in your position I would get the car handling the way you want it to. Drive it while I build a nice 400 hp 360. Throw a four speed in there with a 8 3/4 or 9 inch then be done with it. Maybe go with a 8 1/4 rear just because you can get rear disc for those easy.

Hey all I just picked up a 68 dart 270 with a 273. It is a clean runner and I am the second owner as it was in his family since 71! Motor and tranny have been rebuilt, upolhstry done, and much more. I will get some pics up when I pick her up on thurs. Well I am looking for the good and bad with these guys and what can be done with the 273 if any thing. Basically I need too know all about me! Thanks guys.
Stuff a big block in it. TransGo a 727 with a 3500 stall converter, and swap in a 8-3/4 in rear with 4:11s. Don't worry about stopping or turning. Throw away the rear view mirror. Uncork the exhaust. Set of drag radials. Then terrorize the silicon valley.:D

Below is the way I'd go. Skip the 340 and still make the same HP at a lower rpm with more torque to boot. Though I don't think I'd stick with the 273 over the long run.
The roller 360/904 combo is an excellent one. 400HP from a roller 360 is easy and very streetable. An 8-1/4 rear is more than capable of handling this power level. It will also save you a lot over a 8-3/4.

I do not know what Hotch has for your car but the do make very good stuff.

Do your suspension setup first. Then acquire the motor you want to use, take a real hard look at the late 80s/early 90s LA 360 Roller Block, pretty much the top dog of production LA blocks. That roller cam setup is a big advantage over standard flat tappet blocks.
Personally I'd just keep the 273 running (maybe swap on a 4 bbl intake and carb and that's it) because you want to swap out to a bigger motor later anyway. More money to build the bigger motor is always a plus.

Thanks for all the input guys. As for the straight line running with big block power I have that covered with my 69 roadrunner. This car I am looking for that canyon carving feel! Hey so what would be a good carb upgrade to run on these 273's, what did they come with stock? Here are some shots of the bird

For daily driver mild performance, a 500 cfm AVS styled Edel. carb would be good.
The next size up AVS styled Edel. Would provide plenty of carb for upgrades.
If you like the Holley better, a 390/650 in order as above.

Intake wise, OEM 4bbl., Edel. Performer, LD4B or an Weiand Action Plus.

273's are sweet little engines. By 1968 the 273 did not have many of the really good parts though. No adjustable rockers, probably a cast crank and open chamber heads. Still they are a high winding very efficient motor. Stock Commando 273 had a single plane intake with a 500 cfm AFB and solid cam, they original stuff is great if you can find them. I'd start with a Performer intake and a 500 or 600 AVS or ThermoQuad. Next Dual exhaust and maybe a cam and valve spring change. As for the suspension all you need to do is get it up to spec, add at least .87 in diameter torsion bars, heavy duty rear springs, a front sway bar, and of course really good tires.

first thing I would do would be to ditch the 2.76 rear gear. a 318 block will bolt right under all the 273 stuff and give you ~20% more motor with no balance or mounting issues. Front and rear sway bar, 1.040 torsion bars and some Bilstein shocks. Keep it light.

-
Back