new to the forum, SO STOKED

-

oldcancer

Reaction score
Hey guys, i'm Tim, i'm new to the forum, and i'm 19, i just bought my first car....which as it happens to be, is a 1970 Plymouth Duster with the NUMBERS MATCHING 340 4-speed, it also happens to be a Rapid Transit car, and as most or all of you know, it had to run under 14 seconds before the dealership was even allowed to give the buyer his keys....this particular one ran a 13.89 at 99mph

on a side note, the man i bought it from had bought this car when he was 19 as well............it broke the old man's heart to sell it, but i get the feeling he wouldn't have let it go to just anyone under the sun, otherwise he would have made MASSIVE money on the car, but he was trusting enough to let it go to me for 5 grand.....he also said that i have to give him a ride in it when i get it running.....to which i replied "hell i'll let you drive her"

which means i've got a pretty epic build ahead of me.....as it stands now, in it's partially restored state, it's got about 1000 dollars worth of fiberglass in the front end (lightweight fenders and hood, as he planned to race the car)

the majority, if not all of the crucial body/subframe pieces are in AMAZING condition, for a 40 year old car.....and to top it all off, i don't even have to hunt for a bell crank:evil4: (from what i hear, it can take YEARS to find a usable one?) hell the car even came with the original hurst shifter, although it has a T handle instead of the ball, as the seller lost it like 10 years back or somethin.......

as for color, it's a factory Hemi Orange car, all it needs is a little body work and love......

i'll stop for now though, i'm still in shock about my find here....

MORE TO COME AS THE PROJECT ROLLS IN ;)

Welcome aboard Tim! Your excitement and enthusiasm are obvious, and it's easy to see why with a score like that. :-D Congrats! Post some pics when you get the chance, and make yourself at home in the meantime. You're going to be spending lots of time here.

Hey Tim did you buy this car in west edmonton? Sure sounds familiar D

welcome aboard, sounds like a great find!
that bell crank must be real rare, i've never even heard of it.:-D
post some pics!!

welcome buddy! i'm excited for you!!! sounds like an awesome car to own....340....4 speed...what more could you ask for?!!!

Thats funny Tim, was just browsing and read your story about your purchase. Paul Did the body on my car 20 years ago and that Duster was sitting right behind the house where Im guessing you guys pulled it from. Actually thought about those fenders not long ago I knew they were there and could problably be bought if the money was right. The sharktooth Grille on my car was going on his if when he redid his car which he oviously never did so he sold it to me just before my car was painted in 1992. Small world Good buy as far as im concerned D

ok, sorry for the double post here, but i figured out the pictures situation, and here are some of the pictures i have of the car....enjoy =]

these are also thumbnail images, so click them to see the bigger picture ;)

Nice score.. has some real nice potential. Awesome color as well. Is that one of those DC spoilers on the back?

Oh yeah, welcome aboard.

Grant

Welcome to the site..the rapid transit system had nothing to do with running sub 14 second 1/4 mile times,the name was just a selling gimmick for mopar,do you think they actually ran them down the 1/4 to see how fast they were before delivering them, i personally have owned 2 '70 340 dusters and in stock form they don't run anywhere near 13.80's...the sport fury g.t. was also part of the system do you think that "land boat" could run in the 13's??..nice catch on the duster though the '70 is my favorite year..Hemi-orange my favorite color too..

Welcome to the forum, Tim, from one young gun to another, its a very good learning experience here, and you'll love it

Nice score.. has some real nice potential. Awesome color as well. Is that one of those DC spoilers on the back?

Oh yeah, welcome aboard.

Grant

if i remember correctly, the guy i bought it from told me that the spoiler, fenders, trunk lid, and hood are all DC (direct connection?) parts

-
Back