New tool from Summit to prime Gen III oil pump

-

RockinRobin

Reaction score
Doesn't work with a Melling oil pump unless you modify it, which I did.
Goes over the front of the crank and drives the oil pump with a drill.
https://youtube.com/shorts/rPVHMgKdyO4
https://youtube.com/shorts/RqdfHWKCmLI
Finally Gen 3 users have an easy way to prime the oiling system that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Under $60 as I recall, and it tipped me off to a bad oil pump straight out of the box that I was able to replace before buttoning up the motor.

I use a home depot $9 pump sprayer with the nozzle cut off and an 1/8"npt barbed fitting in the end of the hose. Take out the oil sending unit ,screw in the hose , put oil in tank and pump it up, you'll hear the air coming out of the rockers (new builds) and/or hear oil return to the pan. you can remove the unused plug above/below the sender and either do the top or bottom end. I do both, reinstall the sender and plug.and .....done. It can also be used on all mopars.

I use a home depot $9 pump sprayer with the nozzle cut off and an 1/8"npt barbed fitting in the end of the hose. Take out the oil sending unit ,screw in the hose , put oil in tank and pump it up, you'll hear the air coming out of the rockers (new builds) and/or hear oil return to the pan. you can remove the unused plug above/below the sender and either do the top or bottom end. I do both, reinstall the sender and plug.and .....done. It can also be used on all mopars.
How do you check the oil pump to make sure it's good? In my case this tool saved me a lot of labor, because the brand new Melling oil pump was bad and I had to get a different one. It's was nice to know that before put the motor in the car and started it up! Darndest thing I've ever seen. Oil leaking out between the body and back plate of the pump. I don't know what has happened to quality in the country the last couple of years.

Kudos to Summit Racing! I bought the oil pump from them a year ago and just tried it this week due to waiting on other parts for the build.
Their policy is no returns or exchanges after 6 months, but I call customer service and they are going to let me return it!

-
Back