New Toy!!

-

xlexl

Reaction score
First off let me say how much I LOVE idiots, and love idiots who use craigslist even more!!:toothy10: :toothy7:

Picked her off of Craigslist the other day for 500 bucks, idiot thought it was the front diff that was shot...in actuality it was the H-Block on the front driveline...still figuring out how to get it into town to have it rebuilt...thinking of strapping the driveline to my back and riding it in what do ya think? lol

and yes its in even better shape than the pictures make it look :)
1994 GC Limited...
Have been looking for a standard Cherokee for a while, wanted the 4.0 instead of the v8 but seriously couldn't pass this deal up. Only thing that could throw a wrench in things is if the viscous coupling in the T-case is shot. because the moron put a mismatched spare tire on the back with Quadra Trac...i'm hoping not, but wont know until the driveline is rebuilt.

photo.jpg

photo2.jpg

What's the H-block? I know a fair amount about 4wd but don't recognize that term.

I didn't either, apparently its the piece on the front driveline that has 2 u-joints stacked next to each other where the driveline attaches to T-case.

I didn't either, apparently its the piece on the front driveline that has 2 u-joints stacked next to each other where the driveline attaches to T-case.

Learn something new everyday.

Sounds like a constant velocity joint on a driveshaft. They look kind of like an H but I've never heard them called an H-block. If that's the problem it should be pretty cheap to fix.

If the viscous coupling is bad that can get expensive to replace but I think you can still drive them even when they're bad. I know you can when they go bad in the AMC Eagles I have & the couplings in them are the same as the ones used in earlier Jeeps. I've actulally swapped an NP229 Grand Wagoneer case into my Eagle so it has a low range.

I think you stole that Jeep for $500. Core charge on a transfer case is $300.

Sounds like a constant velocity joint on a driveshaft. They look kind of like an H but I've never heard them called an H-block. If that's the problem it should be pretty cheap to fix.

If the viscous coupling is bad that can get expensive to replace but I think you can still drive them even when they're bad. I know you can when they go bad in the AMC Eagles I have & the couplings in them are the same as the ones used in earlier Jeeps. I've actulally swapped an NP229 Grand Wagoneer case into my Eagle so it has a low range.

I think you stole that Jeep for $500. Core charge on a transfer case is $300.

Yea the business local that can rebuild it mentioned something about constant velocity joint, called it a CV joint and threw me for a loop and had to mention it as a constant velocity joint....than referred to it as an H-block. Anyway said that 25 bucks for labor but couldn't quote me for parts...
I've priced the VC at a couple hundred bucks installation doesn't seem to be too difficult either, I think your correct about the ability to keep driving on it even if the VC is seized, apparently just chews up the front tires real bad.

Local 4x4 shop told me that I should rip out the 229 and go with a 231...not quite certain why though.

Umm, that JEEP is a V8? WOW! Sweet if so! Even if it is not LMAO! In a big way at the theft!

The constant velocity joint on my 2 wheel extended cab pick-up went a few months ago, and every one said I could get it rebuilt- turns out it could not be rebuilt at all, they only sell the rear shaft with the cvj.
So, basically, it was either buy a used rear shaft and joint from a junkyard, and then have to get the entire thing balanced, or buy a new rear shaft and joint, and then have to get the entire thing balanced.
Either way it was around $800-$1,000, and that didn't solve the problem because the cvj could not be serviced, can't grease it.
I ended up locating an after market company that sells the front and rear shaft together with the cvj, or a regular joint with a shim kit for about $500.
I went with the regular joint.

Hope you do not have similar issues.

The constant velocity joint on my 2 wheel extended cab pick-up went a few months ago, and every one said I could get it rebuilt- turns out it could not be rebuilt at all, they only sell the rear shaft with the cvj.
So, basically, it was either buy a used rear shaft and joint from a junkyard, and then have to get the entire thing balanced, or buy a new rear shaft and joint, and then have to get the entire thing balanced.
Either way it was around $800-$1,000, and that didn't solve the problem because the cvj could not be serviced, can't grease it.
I ended up locating an after market company that sells the front and rear shaft together with the cvj, or a regular joint with a shim kit for about $500.
I went with the regular joint.

Hope you do not have similar issues.

Wow so do I...the company I called today honed right in on my problem and said they could do it if I brought the entire drive shaft in...i'll be really upset if I get in there and they tell me im SOL....

Umm, that JEEP is a V8? WOW! Sweet if so! Even if it is not LMAO! In a big way at the theft!

good deal !

Thank's everyone, super proud of this deal. Had to put the poor Fish: 1. outside (i'm sure she'll make me pay for it later somehow) and 2. on the back burner for a while.

Officially a civilian now and finding a job is sure turning into a royal pain in my patoot. Really shouldn't have spent the money right now but considering that I sold Bio Hazard(seriously couldn't take driving it anymore, and working on it drove me to drinking excessively) I figured to hell with it i needed a driver anyway, I needed a reliable one and honestly as much as I love Jeeps the GC doesn't fall under that category, but atleast parts are plentiful and cheap-ish.

WA is not a state to ride in year around and i was sick of not being able to go anywhere with out being soaking wet and cold as hell. Have ran around in the Fish a couple times but the 5mpg 440 kills me and honestly have a lot more work to do before she should be driven around anyway.

I'm really hoping this works out as well as I'm hoping it well, can't really afford it to fall apart on me right now. But hell I guess if push comes to shove it would be easy as hell to get my 500 back out of it...

Ok update, since I can't afford to do anything on the Barracuda right now your stuck with Jeep updates lol.

Finally tracked down exactly what the front ds is, double cardan joint, and from everything iv'e read it's about a $60 fix...haha which means to get this thing on the road minus what tires are going to cost i SHOULD be under 600 bucks :D

makes me want to call the previous owner and rub it in his face LOL

Ok update, since I can't afford to do anything on the Barracuda right now your stuck with Jeep updates lol.

That is the first true LOL I've had in awhile sitting behind this desk.
Looking foward to this.

Finally tracked down exactly what the front ds is, double cardan joint, and from everything iv'e read it's about a $60 fix...haha which means to get this thing on the road minus what tires are going to cost i SHOULD be under 600 bucks :D

OH! MAN! The theft is not yet complete, it continues with ultra cheap fixes! Can ya show me a picture of this thing so I know what your talking about. I don't know JEEPs or 4X4 stuff. Though I just got my first truck and it is a 4X4. Dodge Dakota quadcab V6.

makes me want to call the previous owner and rub it in his face LOL
Naaaaaaaaa, call up and complain about the serious expense it took to fix in hopes his freind/family/next door neihbor has another one just like it for sale cheap as heck.

Then, ask him for any parts he has layin around. ;)

Any interior shots?

By popular demand more pix! :)

Just dropped in rebuilt drive shaft, set me back much more than anticipated...than again, from what the shop said it was much worse than anticipated as well....still into it under 750 bones.

So hell other than a much needed alignment, trashed exhaust manifold gasket, tires on its last leg, and a check engine light i need to diagnose when I sober up. shes road worthy

P3020665.jpg

P3020664.jpg

P3020663.jpg

P3020662.jpg

P3020661.jpg

P3020660.jpg

i always like the jeep crand cherokee's
last year i bought a 98 limited 5.9

guy said it knocked from the moment he bought it to his hoese. i bought it for 1,200.00

after pulling the rest of my hair out, i decided to just let it idle in my yard, filled the tak with super, and added 2 bottles ofg octane booster.

MAN, LET ME TELL YOU, THAT JEEP WAS OVER 4,500 LBS, YET THAT THING HAD A SET OF BALLZZ ON IT. i did not know there was such a following on them, and i sold it on ebay for almost 7 grand.
i now wish i did not sell it, as we used the money and now bought a 99, which is the new body style, and it had the 4.0 6 cyl. in it, and man, i need to put another engine in the trunk, just to get up the mountains here when i am pulling the car trailer.lmao, and now needing trans work..............

I thought about flipping this one just because I could nearly quaduple my money on it...really dont want to now that i've been driving it, really like it. This 318 is pretty gutless but its not exactly running very well either, i'll reserve judment for when I finish the maintenence on it.

On that note I saved the 2 worst friggn jobs on this jeep, exhaust manifold gaskets, and cap and rotor.....seriously I dont think they could have burried the cap any worse if they had tried....
and the friggn a/c is making the pass side manifold a ***** to pull out....I think i'll like the jeep a lot more tomarrow when im done lol

got my 94gc 4.0l for free. water pump went and over heated. got a junk yard engine and had the head rebuilt, put tires on it. had 68,000 on it 2 years ago now has 105,000 and is in basicaly mint condition. I will be putting in new springs and shocks in it soon. tows a 21.5' bayliner back and forth with no issues. my wife wants new but no payments right now is awesome. I told her I have no need to impress by making a $400 a month if not more on something new. just makes us strapped from doing other stuff like burning fuel in the boat and having fun

Rocking deal! BTW, you suck, lol! I can't believe how clean that interior is.

Welcome to the world of Jeep, it's addictive. As a matter of fact, I'm running outside right now to partake in my Jeep addiction (I'm installing new tie rod ends, trackbar and tie rod from a GC). These things are very modular and are kind of like legos. Let me introduce you to a company called Quadratec, everything under the sun for your Jeep. My friends call it "Quadracrack", lol!

http://www.quadratec.com/

Thanks everyone! complete tune up complete, next up trans flush.
Have to do all the tie-rods and front end stuff next. New headliner while i'm checking why the hell my moon roof is leaking.

Runs and drives great now.
Quadratec...hmmm looks like i know what im looking up now! :)

This is me throwing a temper tantrum lol....
I have done a SLEW of work on it since last post.
Now im stuck on a problem that showed up yesterday, effin dome lights wont go off, ive checked all the ajar switches and nothing, its obd1 so i havent seen any reference to a BCM and I have no idea what else to check lol. Grand Cherokee forum isnt helping...anyway thought id share my frustrations lol

-
Back