New TTI Shorties - Woo Hoo!!!

-

superdart

Shade Tree Tinker Gnome.....
Reaction score
Long story short: I got a set of brand X long tube headers when I bought my car as a rolling chassis. Short on money, I used them, and amazingly, they cleared everything, even the factory power steering (damn!). Over time, I removed the P/S, factory starter, and got the headers ceramic coated while I had the front suspension torn out of the car. Unfortunately, the one thing they DIDN'T have was good ground clearance. several bad hits, and now they are leaking and rubbing the steering components in all the wrong places.

This is what they looked like from the local ceramic coating shop..11 years ago.

headers.jpg

Out with the old, and in with the new. My car isn't any kind of crazy power house (just a massaged 360) so I opted for driveability over absolute power.

20160224_181859_zps2uzowxro.jpg

Those flanges look beefy.

When you put these in, kindly take some shots along the way and of course finished. You can just add 'em to this thread

When you put these in, kindly take some shots along the way and of course finished. You can just add 'em to this thread

x2!!! :thumbup:

Would love to see what the clearance looks like with these installed.

Somebody may have already asked the question .... but has anybody done a comparison on the hp/tq number diffs between long and short tube headers...

I was close to ordering a set for one of my Dusters. Haven't experienced them myself, but I hear you can install these from the top with no issues. Please let us know your experience.

Abodyjoe, did you need to be told it's the flow???? Looks?????? I'm sure not.....

I think you made a great choice! Long tubes are a pain in the neck, and when you use bigger pipe the bend where the pipe meats manifold does not work well. Only a tiny hp loss over long tubes and flow has to be better than manifolds because you don't have that crazy bend on the drivers side. TTI quality-Nice

Wish someone did a similar test with a SBM just to get a little better idea. Obviously it would be exact because every setup is different.

There is a dyno various manifolds and short headers on a mild 360 kicking around somewhere from what I remember the difference between manifolds wasn't that huge and the headers only had a little advantage like something less than 10 hp over best manifolds.

So what's the advantage of these shortie things over a 340 manifold. Doubt it's price.

IIRC, they work in a 67-76 A-body with fast ratio steering arms. But not 100% I'm remembering that correctly. Anyone offer some help with that?

IIRC, they work in a 67-76 A-body with fast ratio steering arms. But not 100% I'm remembering that correctly. Anyone offer some help with that?

Not according to TTI. From the TTI website...

Steering Linkage:
OEM with torsion bars or Rack & Pinion without torsion bars
Headers will not clear the uniSteer Performance Rack & Pinions.
66-76 A-body applications: Headers will not clear Firm Feel fast ratio pitman & idler arm.

I put these on my '69 GTS . I would suggest attaching the adapter pipes to the headers before putting them in the car.
Also, if you have an automatic, there is really no way to use the stock kickdown linkage. You can either modify it or get a Lokar cable,which is what I did.
Other than the above, just follow the instructions and you won't have any trouble at all installing them.

I put these on my '69 GTS . I would suggest attaching the adapter pipes to the headers before putting them in the car.
Also, if you have an automatic, there is really no way to use the stock kickdown linkage. You can either modify it or get a Lokar cable,which is what I did.
Other than the above, just follow the instructions and you won't have any trouble at all installing them.

pics.. we need pics.. :)

-
Back