• 100_0827.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 234
  • 100_0830.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 229
  • 100_0835.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 240
  • 440.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 243
Hello from one newbie to another! I just picked up my 65 last month, it took me 18 years to get my father in-law to hand it over! He had it sitting in his garage since 1980 and never touched it...I towed it 1,300 miles home last month and I got her to fire up a couple of weekends ago!

Sweet! This one is gonna take some time but that's OK - could be a long winter here in Michigan!!!!

Nice looking car!

Welcome. Good looking project you have there. You will get lots of support from some great people here. Keep us posted on your progress!

WOW nice ride. what do you mean front fenders and door skins they don't look that bad. but it might be the angle of the pic

Drivers side skin is a mess. Appears it got peeled on that side once - has a new quarter panel on the back and someone put a skin on the door. I was given the origina skin and has lots of holes drilled in it where they pulled the dent out and then bondo'ed over them!!!! Passenger side fender may be salavageable - has some mud in it but will see what it looks like when I get the paint off it!

Making progress! Pulled the 440 from the truck frame today. It's officially on Craigslist, so if you are looking for a short box truck frame with Dana 60's and disc brakes all around and 6" of spring lift, check it out! Going to order motor mounts from Schumacher this week so I can trial fit it before I tear the car apart! Hopefully I can talk my cuz out of his BB 4 speed bellhousing!!!!

Welcome from Royal Oak (for now). Do the Michiganders on this site get together at events like the Red Barn one in July? Moved back from CA to MI a few months ago.

Finally, I have found time to start working on the Duster! Have been disassembling it slowly and finding it is pretty much rock solid!!! A couple pinholes in the passenger side floor and the same in the spare tire well. Taking lots of pictures and labeling everything as I take it apart.

The PO painted everything black so that is why everything looks so "clean". Thought I would share what I got!

Attachments

• 100_1171.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 169
  • 100_1166.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 185
  • 100_1165.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 193
  • 100_1164.JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 171
  • 100_1163.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 168
  • 100_1162.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 161
Did some more digging this weekend. The motor is actually a 1972 340 with 1970 X heads on it. Transmission is an A833, manufactured on 4/1/1968, so it's kind of pieced together!

Nice! I like the slots, gives it an old school look! Looks like you have a good, complete car to build on (340, 4-spd, etc) I'll be watching! Any idea for a color? My dad, when he was 16, had a 72 Duster, it was reddish orange, with slots, etc. It looked really cool! (until he parked it on its roof)

Thanks for the comments! I'm torn right now - I may keep the slots, maybe not. I have a complete set of ralleyes for it too. Been thinking about going large bolt pattern? Any thoughts on that?

It has been a while but here are some new pics. Short of the rear end and leaf springs, the Duster is pretty much a bare shell! K frame and front suspension are completely removed. Time to roll the sleeves up and get to work! I'm having fun!!!!! The wife thinks I am insane for the amount of time I am spending on this project and still remain in a good mood! She has no idea!!!!!

Attachments

• DSCN2924.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 105
  • DSCN2923.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 106
  • 4.13.13 004.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 120
  • DSCN2929.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 100
Making some progress! What is the factory color? Lately I'm really liking the non high impact colors, like the greens, golds, etc. And, slots look cool with those colors!

It was originally alpine white..........................................kind of want an out of the ordinary color!

I will. Baby was just born so Duster is on a holding pattern for right now. Soon little car, soon!

-
Back