Newbie going to pick up a duster tomorrow..well today (its 12:30am lol)

-

eviper21

Reaction score
Been working on cars for a while with my pops..im 20 years old now and this will be my first car older than 1987 that ive ever worked on...i hope i dont have problems tuning the carb lol, i know EFI like the back of my hand so i guess im working backwards here haha. Shoot it took me a while to even pop the hood :sign3:. BUT when it comes down to it i know im gonna have fun with it and learn more and more.

now for the car. its a 73 duster with a blown 225 /6. has a hole bout the size of a base ball there the #6 rod was shot out the side of the motor :eek:ops:
so im looking for a /6 to drop in there at the moment. ( got a 5.2 magnum if anyone wants to trade!) i have to get it running ASAP cuz ill be paying storage fees on it until it can move under its own power lol. The interior needs allot of help and whoever had it before painted it with 30 different types of lime green, yellow green , green green etc. so ill be painting it after a while.

On a good not im getting it for $500 and from what i hear the intake and exhaust manifold are worth that alone? (the intake will be for sale soon)

Now for the good, before it blew up it was fitted with brand new bf goodrich tires, a new brake job, and as previously stated it has the aftermarket intake and exhaust. It also has less than 100,000 miles on it and the undercarriage looks like it. Nothing more than surface rust and no thick layers of oil and grime. pretty awesome. anyways nough reading, heres some pics!

Attachments

• WP_000428.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 297
  • WP_000430.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 292
  • WP_000431.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 295
  • WP_000433.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 301
  • WP_000436.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 266
  • WP_000438.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 288
  • WP_000439.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 284
  • WP_000445.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 289
Good score and welcome to the site! Lots of people here willing to help out a newbie!

Ha Trunk Monkey. Welcome. Looks like a good deal and the good news is that most slants can be had for free. Actually I couldn't give a couple away and just scrapped them. You should get it back on the road in no time.

yea i have a feeling it was owned by a teenager after getting "a pile of crap" from his grama since the inside is pretty destroyed with carls jr bags (empty thank god) and burned cd's haha. its at a shop right now. Shop owner says it was towed there and after he told the owner it needed a new motor he pretty much signed it over to the shop owner. Tags are even good till the end of the month so no back fees or anything

also, i cant get the trunk open. anybody know how to get it open besides a lock smith? key doesnt work..

If it has a fold down rear seat you can get into the trunk that way and open it from the inside

wish it was a space duster. It is a gold duster though. dunno if that matters so cant get into it from the inside

Didn't have to be a "space duster" the fold down seat was just an option. My 74 360 duster has the fold down seat in it

So there's what the duster looks like. Reminds me of the 1973 yellow duster I had..... It will be loads if fun and learning along the way..... You could look into getting adapter mounts for a slant to small block and drop in the 5.2L (318 magnum) was it from a ram or Dakota ?

the 318 was from a jeep actually. i was originally going to drop it into my 99 dakota v6 but i hit a deer and that killed that project. so now i have the duster as my project and the dak as my daily.

thanks btw, i will have fun with her. order of business ... engine / interior / paint. or paint and interior at the same time lol. just really want to get it running asap

Pop the rear seat out and there will be a couple of bolts at the bottom of the rear top seat cushion. (7/16" I think) Remove the bolts and pull up on the seat and it should pop out. Behind the seat is a piece of cardboard, remove it and then you should be able to find someone skinny enough to shimmy in between the seat frame brackets and get back into the trunk. Once you get to the trunk lock, insert a flat bladed screwdriver into the back of the lock assembly (You will see the slot) and turn the screwdriver and the trunk will pop open.While the seat is out look for the build sheet under the seat in the springs of the seat.

Pop the rear seat out and there will be a couple of bolts at the bottom of the rear top seat cushion. (7/16" I think) Remove the bolts and pull up on the seat and it should pop out. Behind the seat is a piece of cardboard, remove it and then you should be able to find someone skinny enough to shimmy in between the seat frame brackets and get back into the trunk. Once you get to the trunk lock, insert a flat bladed screwdriver into the back of the lock assembly (You will see the slot) and turn the screwdriver and the trunk will pop open.While the seat is out look for the build sheet under the seat in the springs of the seat.

Yep I've done it. It works. Don't forget a flashlight.

Welcome to FABO from another SoCal member. You're going to have fun here.
Make sure you post up pics as you progress with your project.

thanks for all the welcomes! yea im pretty stocked about it. actually going to go pick it up right now. as for plans im not to sure yet. im not sure if i want it orange (black hood) with a black interior, or plum crazy purple with a white interior....im to indecisive to even talk about the drive train lol

Welcome to FABO. If you're going to drop another slant in it, why bother selling the intake and headers? You could bolt them up to your new slant for a bit better performance.

not sure how to to check the rear end but i JUST brought it hoe today, im so stoked to see it has disk brakes in the front!!

sweet thanks! ill check it when i see it tomorrow. its at a storage lot.

-
Back