News from Stellantis Historical-IBM cards

-

Dana67Dart

The parts you don't add don't cause you no trouble
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Got a note from Danielle at Stellantis Historical Services...

They are moving to new digs and will not be researching or sending out IBM cards till the first quarter of 2024.

If you have a request in already it will be honored then.

That’s not too far off. Do you remember which years are not available because of the fire?

Up to and including 1967 you can send in proof of ownership and they send you a terrible copy of a copy of the microfiche IBM build card used to create the Buildsheet and fendertag.
They used to include a letter that 'decodes' most of the items, including Region and Dealer, not sure if that still applies.

No decipher any more other than they tell you what dealership it came from. Reminds me she owes me one for my '64 from over a year ago.

There is all the info you need in this post.

Chrysler Historical new contact info.

As for what I do they have:

"We have build records from 1930 – 1967 for passenger cars and 1930 – 1954 for Trucks. Anything before or after these years was never transferred to the archives and do not exist within the company. For some reason, the story of the fire within the Chrysler Archives is actually an “urban legend”. There was no fire that destroyed files within the archives. The build records that are missing were simply never passed along to the archives. We have searched for years to find them within the company and they appear to not exist
"

I did the search for my 67 Coronet and my 38 Plymouth. Nice information. I was surprised that the 38 Plymouth was bought from the local Speigel store, or the mail order catalog, I'm not sure which.

Is there a new address yet for the Stellantis Historical Services. I can wait but I would like to get in the stack. Thanks

Is there a new address yet for the Stellantis Historical Services. I can wait but I would like to get in the stack. Thanks
It's all via email.

See the link in post 6 for all the info.

We had confirmation documentation with orig build sheet, fendertag etc. The lacklustre documentation for what we paid...meh. JMO.
I have 2 build sheets, fender tag, and window sticker.

The IBM card confirms some of the same info.

If you have nothing it is better than nothing.

The lacklustre documentation for what we paid...meh
Free is not cheap enough?

At one time years ago there was a fee. And I think you got a real IBM card or paper copy

Now you get a PDF and the name of the dealership it was delivered to.

See my prev post lol. As I said I'm pretty sure we paid something. Maybe we were spoiled when we bought car with all the documentation we got.
Free is not cheap enough?

At one time years ago there was a fee. And I think you got a real IBM card or paper copy

Now you get a PDF and the name of the dealership it was delivered to.

I paid $40 10 years ago when they mailed hard copies of the IBM card and a letter decoding it. Pretty cool to have. I'm not a purist (since I swapped in a 5.9, 1974 A904, and an.8.75)...but it's still cool to have.

IMG_20150623_193313.jpg

IMG_20150623_193339.jpg

So it wasnt free lol? Like someone here obviously thought when insinuating I was cheap and ungrateful?
So translate that $40=50-ish...so nah I wasnt too impressed.
Keep lying to yourself about valve covers too lol.

I was told it would be $45 when I ordered mine back in 2008-ish, they never cashed the check and when I called back she said we do not charge anymore.

The buildcard is more accurate than the buildsheet or fender tag, and can hold more data than the fender tag and buildsheet, although the buidlsheet has more codes specific to the buildsheet.

For example, the buildcard has the shipping order number as well as the shipped date, where the fender tag only has the (scheduled) production date, aka the shipping order number.

Shipping Order Number = Scheduled Production Date and is the date the car was scheduled to be built.

Buildcard has the actual Shipped Date as well, which could be before or after the Scheduled Production Date.

This was helpful to me as in 1967 the VIN was not stamped on the engine, my SPD was Wednesday 5/31, however the SD was Friday 5/26, so the car was actually done and shipped out on Friday 5/26. Who cares? Well, since the engine has an assembly stamp of 5/23, it just puts it closer to, and more importantly before, the SD, so close that I can confidently state, including other date coded parts, it has it's original engine.

I saw my buildsheet about exactly once in somewhat of one piece before it simply melted into (think toilet tissue)

Found this while smurfin, the build record request form. Dont worry it's safe I took an antibiotic before uploading :thankyou:

Attachments

• Stellantis Build Record Only Form .xls - Stellantis-Build-Record-Only-Form-.pdf
    69 KB · Views: 53
Interesting thread! My dad worked for Chrysler Corporation, from 1963 until late 1985 when he became terminally ill, and too sick to work anymore. His entire career, was producing the IBM TAB build cards for cars. They used the big reel to reel IBM computers, to generate those cards.
His last assignment was third shift
Supervisor, for this department. My brother and I got to go on a walk through tour with my dad, in the fall of 1984, when Chrysler had a "Family Day" for it's employees.

He showed us around the plant...
(O.D.M.T.C.) off of Outer Drive, near 8 mile Rd. Visited his department, and his office. I still have a stash somewhere, of blank cards, he would bring home, for scratch paper and stuff. This was his job, and how he supported his wife and 3 boys... I miss him a lot.
The photo is a O.D.M.T.C. plant work shirt, I bought at an all Mopar swap meet, years ago. Strangely enough, I found it, at the Chrysler Centerline parts depot, (10-1/2 mile & Van Dyke)..Mopar car show, and swap meet, not too far from where I grew up.

IMG_20230814_182422252.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back