Next Phase of my Mopar Life

-
I spoke with the guy I bought it from this morning. He’s a decent guy, he just forgot that he pulled parts out of it several years ago. He’s refunding my money and we’ll worry about getting this boat anchor out of my garage later.

It's been a busy summer and I haven't updated this thread for a while. I'm getting the Duster ready to go to the annual Mopar show in town next weekend so I did a little detail work to the engine compartment. The first thing I did was replace the positive battery cable and clean up the battery. I bought a sticker kit off of eBay and glued on some plastic caps.
1695638531625.jpeg

Whomever painted the car in the past bondo'd over the holes where the windshield washer nozzles went so I had to determine where the holes were. I'm sure it's not correct, but at least I have windshield washers now.
1695638687969.jpeg

The last thing I did was install a reproduction fan shroud and Mopar viscous fan kit that I bought from a member here. Hopefully it'll help keep my temps down on hot day and keep me from getting too close to the spinning fan.
1695638821182.jpeg

I have a couple of small things to do under the hood but overall I'm pleased with the look.

So happy to read this post this morning BrianT, its a beautiful car my friend, nice underside as well, happy times be with you as you make this 70 Duster yours, I hate to say it but I forgot all about your car getting stolen, life is good my friend

Just a reminder, I'm using this thread to document MY purchase and everything that I've done to the car.

I've noticed that if I run the car hard through the gears, sometimes the shifter will bind up and not want to come out of second gear. A good solid jerk frees up the shifter and everything goes back to normal until you run it hard again. It has always had a drip from the transmission, so I thought I would start by checking the fluid. Two and a half quarts of gear oil later, it is full. I didn't see anything wrong with the shifter or linkage so I just lubed them good with PB Blaster.

A quick run down the highway confirmed that the transmission is now "fixed" and it shifts like butter. I wish all things were as easy as this to repair.
Going threw this thread and I was hoping this would get ironed out, you are living right :thumbsup:

We've been working on getting the 8 3/4 put together but ran into a problem with the ring gear fitment but have finally got that problem sorted. I ended up going with the Helical Sure Grip unit that Cass sells. It cost me a little bit more, but with all of the other new parts I have for the rear end, I figured what the hell? Later when I add more power (more sooner than later), I'll have a bullet proof rear end that I won't have to worry about.

1698530822919.jpeg

Mopar 8 3/4" (8.75) Helical Gear Sure-Grip ("Sure-Trac")

I know the loss of the Dart hurt, but this car is really nice, Brian. Congrats, man.

The third member is all together. @VOETOM 's brother Joe assembled it and set up the gears for me. It still needs to be painted but EVERYTHING inside is brand new from Dr. Diff and should last the rest of my lifetime.

1701516127352.jpeg

1701516152750.jpeg

1701516169160.jpeg

The next step is getting my perches cut and moved in 1/2" for the offset spring kit. This might be tricky with the housing already being powder coated. We'll blend it in with some gloss black paint and it will be fine. After that, I'll be ready to assemble the rest of the rear end and can start pulling the 8 1/4" out.

The wife needed ONE can of green beans on Thanksgiving morning so I got the Duster out one last time and went on an epic holiday journey. Don't worry, the green beans were found and Thanksgiving was saved!

1701516440904.jpeg

Nice progress Brian. Tom has helped me out several times. It would be great to meet him someday. The car looks great by the way.

So I went on a little road trip Saturday. There's a guy in southern Missouri that rebuilds four speeds out of his home shop. He had an 18 spline four speed that he was saving for his personal vehicle but then sold the car. It has all new bearings, seals and syncro rings. I was able to pick it up along with a new Competition Plus shifter and a nice A body shift lever. The Quick Time bellhousing was bought here on FABO from @Dennis Hilliard
1702895594194.jpeg

The plan for this winter is to get the old 3 speed and 8 1/4" out and replace them with the new parts above. I'll put the break in miles for the clutch on the old 318 and hopefully the drive train will be complete and broken in before my new engine is ready. More on that later!

So I went on a little road trip Saturday. There's a guy in southern Missouri that rebuilds four speeds out of his home shop. He had an 18 spline four speed that he was saving for his personal vehicle but then sold the car. It has all new bearings, seals and syncro rings. I was able to pick it up along with a new Competition Plus shifter and a nice A body shift lever. The Quick Time bellhousing was bought here on FABO from @Dennis Hilliard
View attachment 1716179825
The plan for this winter is to get the old 3 speed and 8 1/4" out and replace them with the new parts above. I'll put the break in miles for the clutch on the old 318 and hopefully the drive train will be complete and broken in before my new engine is ready. More on that later!
Nice car, with that much ceiling height in that garage, I would be putting a lift in it.

Progress was made this week. I ran the 8 3/4 housing out to my friend Monte's shop. He is a retired mechanic who still works on cars and does metal work. He is going to move the perches in for me. It should be ready by next week some time. Here is a shot of him and his hot rod BBQ that he built.
1703976729017.jpeg

With the holidays winding down I was able to get out in the garage today and get some work done. I pulled the 8 1/4 and stripped the springs and the brakes from it. I'll be reusing them on the 8 3/4. I found out that the car has 6 leaf springs and the part number 3400081 means they originally on a 340 car. My car started out as a 318 but it's cool to know that someone added the HD springs somewhere along it's journey.
1703977981424.jpeg

The next few weeks will be spent cleaning and painting the parts that I'm gonna reuse. I'll take them to work and throw them in our Barracuda parts washer. That thing strips the grease and oil off and leaves the whole part bare metal. The brakes look good. You can tell they were redone recently and the drums look like new. I'm thinking of taking the leaf springs to our local spring shop and having them re-arched. I can save on shipping and help keep a local business open. KC Springworks has been in business since 1912. They did a pair back in 80's for me and came out great!

Awesome car and thank you for sharing your progress. Good luck with the rearend and 4spd swap!

A little more progress was made over the weekend. My buddy Gary came over and we finished removing the three speed trans along with the clutch and bell housing. Now that everything is out, I'll spend some time cleaning up the under side.

I talked to the guy at the local spring shop and he steered me away from re-arching the factory 340 springs. While it would have been cool to have them redone, he stated TWICE that he couldn't guarantee that the spring would hold the re-arch. I went with my original plan and called Laura at ESPO. My new six leaf +1 springs should be here in about 4-6 weeks.

1704802802118.jpeg

A little more progress was made over the weekend. My buddy Gary came over and we finished removing the three speed trans along with the clutch and bell housing. Now that everything is out, I'll spend some time cleaning up the under side.

I talked to the guy at the local spring shop and he steered me away from re-arching the factory 340 springs. While it would have been cool to have them redone, he stated TWICE that he couldn't guarantee that the spring would hold the re-arch. I went with my original plan and called Laura at ESPO. My new six leaf +1 springs should be here in about 4-6 weeks.

View attachment 1716189738
While it was more cost effective at one time to have springs re-arched, they were almost guaranteed to sag again. New ones are a better choice, especially when you are planning to keep the car long term.

Yeah, I just thought they were cool because they had the factory part number on them. This project will probably be my last and I don't want to pull these springs again.

1704816039658.png

you could probably pay a bit more and have the part numbers stamped on the new springs before they're tempered. best of both worlds for a little extra coin, worth asking if numbers are your thing.
neil

The perches have been moved in. Time for a little paint and then reassembly can begin.

1705276233108.jpeg

I had a few friends swing by yesterday and we got a little work done on the Duster. I started the morning off by installing all new studs in the rear end housing as well as new axle seals. The third member went in next without a hitch, but when we went to install the new axles I remembered that they had 3" studs in them. I've ordered 2" screw in studs but they won't be here for three days, so I couldn't install the axles.

1710675393848.jpeg

I had previously glass beaded the backing plates and painted them. I installed all new hardware on the brakes and cleaned up the drums a bit. New parking brake cables came from InlineTube as did the new brake lines.

1710675752325.jpeg

The ESPO six leaf +1" leafs were next along with the Dr. Diff offset spring hanger kit. Everything was snugged up but will be torqued down when the weight of the vehicle is back on the suspension.

1710676287601.jpeg

1710676310521.jpeg

We lifted the rear end on a floor jack and walked it around and into place. The only snag we hit was that now one of the tail pipes is up against one of the offset springs, but that should be an easy fix.

1710676529598.jpeg

I'm going with the Calvert 9 way adjustable rear shocks. They should be here with the axle studs later this week.

1710676710714.jpeg

I've got a few things I can do while I wait on parts. The brake lines need be hooked up and bled, and the parking brake cables can be hooked up and adjusted. After that, I'll start working on putting the QuickTime bellhousing on and checking it for run out. As soon as I can get the transmission in, I can measure and get my driveshaft built. Maybe I'll be back on the road for the start of car show season next month!

Note to self. Calvert shocks are set at 4 per their tech line.

Last edited:
The rear end is back in the car and it's sitting on it's wheels and tires for the first time in four months!

1711229562311.jpeg

Today we installed the rear brake hose, bled and adjusted the brakes, and installed the park cables. New shocks and Dr. Diff axles went in without a hitch. Hopefully, we can move on to installing the QuickTime bellhousing soon. We're going to mock it up and check it for run out.

1711229779612.jpeg

I'll have to wait until the car has been driven a bit to see how much the springs are going to settle. If they don't come down enough, I have an adjustment hole in the front spring hanger that will lower it one inch.

-
Back