Next Phase of my Mopar Life

-

BrianT

Here we go again...
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
As some of you know, my Dart was stolen from me almost two months ago. It was recovered the next day but was a total loss. I’ve settled with the insurance company and am ready to buy my next ride.

A couple weeks ago I spotted a car on FB that looked pretty sharp and the price was right. The seller didn’t want to mess with messaging so he asked for a phone number. He called me back twenty minutes later and said that he had to take the post down because he was getting blown up on PMs.

I stayed in touch with him for the next couple weeks and he sent me a bunch of pictures and videos. A deal was made to purchase the vehicle. My buddy Shawn and I drove nine hours yesterday to pick it and now we are pulling it home.

It’s a 1970 Duster that’s a previous owner cloned into a 1971 340 car. It has a “warmed over” 318 featuring an Edelbrock RPM intake and carb, and someone put a 340 cam in it. It has factory 3 speed on the floor.

Today was the first day seeing it in person and I have to say that so far I’m very happy. I’ll post more pictures as we travel home. I can’t wait to take it to the local cruise tonight.

IMG_2919.jpeg

IMG_2921.jpeg

IMG_2351.jpeg

IMG_2357.jpeg

Great looking car! And those under-dash A/C ducts look nicer than the usual ones I always see.

Last edited:
Sweet looking Duster! Glad you have been able to get your claim settled, still a shame that your Dart was totaled, but time to make some new memories.

Wow that is a great looking car from those pictures! Usually when looking for a new ride you don't get that lucky finding the perfect car

Sweet ride, and a nice trailer. Who is the manufacture of the trailer?

Thanks everyone for the kind words. This car kinda takes away some of the sting of losing the Dart. I owned that car for 17 years and it will always bring a smile to my face when I remember the times that were had in her.

My first car was a 1971 Duster 318 3spd that I bought from my parents when I turned 16. This car is what I always dreamed that car could be. Bright red, black bucket seats and stripes. Sixteen year old me would be very happy too!

I drove the car home the last 50 miles last night and it has some small projects that I need to correct, but overall it's a very solid car. We put it up on a lift at the seller's shop and it was very clean underneath. I have many future plans for it but I'll probably just drive it this summer and get to know the car before I start tearing into it next winter. Plans include a vinyl top (need to find some trim pieces), a rallye grille (might do that this summer) and a four speed transmission.

Here are some pics from yesterday.

Kv95bgEmmZRWk-VIw9i9GxQ=w1236-h927-s-no?authuser=0.jpg

WxuMFFKLYBvnlm3ZELLCF7A=w1236-h927-s-no?authuser=0.jpg

syGD-uXRa8QrWpC7_UhaRMg=w1236-h927-s-no?authuser=0.jpg

YgxUF9AIXcF88xr-2Vf2B_sg=w695-h927-s-no?authuser=0.jpg

I didn't get anything done to the car this week because of work, but I did start a short list of things that need to be done.

The brake pedal is lower than I'd like. The previous owner told me that he just replaced the wheel cylinders and had to gravity bleed them. That should be an easy fix.

He also gave me a rebuilt power steering pump new in the box. This week I found out why. Power steering leaks from the pump.

And lastly, the shift linkage binds up under a load, and won't shift out of second year. That should be an easy fix also. That trans will be coming out soon enough, but I need to make it driveable for at least this summer.

Well done, Brian. If you're ever near St. Louis I'd be glad to meet you in my '70 340 Swinger.

Well done, Brian. If you're ever near St. Louis I'd be glad to meet you in my '70 340 Swinger.
I will be in the St. Louis area in two weeks picking up an A body rear end. I’m meeting the guy at the Gateway Motorsport Park. Unfortunately, I’ll be in my buddy’s truck on our way to central Illinois.

I took the Duster to a little car show at my favorite pizza joint. First one of the year in a new car. Even got to park next to a nice big block Dart. A bodies rule!

IMG_3008.jpeg

Last edited:
-
Back