NHRA no longer aknowledge Chrysler

-

mikedevore

Reaction score
NHRA no longer aknowledges Chrysler's design of the Top Fuel & Funny car engines.
They used to include Chrysler in its description of the two classes.
This was done at the request of toyota, gm, & ford.
It seems that the manfactures, that didn't design the basis for the worlds most powerful engines, doesn't want to admit that thier stuff is powered by a Chyrsler style engine.
This way, they can recieve greater marketing value from wins with thier bodies or decals on a car.
The new force F/C ford engine is basically a HEMI with different main bearing sizes & boss name on the valve covers.
If it was such an advantage, it would be used in Top Fuel.
Is it me, or is NHRA & NASCAR willing to sell their soles to the highest bidder?
So much for rewritten history.
Hey daddy, remember when that toyota solara won the championship?
Give me an F#*king break!

In today's world, tradition and the continuation of such is replaced by money. Everything is about a buck anymore.

Ive not been around as long as many but watched some stuff on the head of NASCAR in the late 60's/early 70's who was an ex-GM employee. Basically everything Mopar that was causing them to win was written to be banned.

the trouble is they have all gotten so political.It makes me sick...its bad enough they let the foreign cars in NOW there letting rag heads sponsor them.hell there even in dirt track racing..DAM I think Ill go fly a kite but hell you probably can't get one of those made in the USA.anymore..........Artie

Seems like a good time to post this. It's from a Hot Rod mag back in the early 80's.

Attachments

• DCAD (Large).JPG
    124.2 KB · Views: 655
Balls don't exist anymore, chrysler probably couldn't give two **its about whether or not their name is being un-represented in either sport anymore. THIS is the main problem with our country and many others anymore is that no one will stand up for what they believe in anymore at risk of losing a few bucks off the bottom line....

rant over

I do love that ad though...

I love the ad and now we ALL know how all the other car makers keep up on race day !!!!!!!!

In my opinion, NHRA became irrelevant when they reduced the races from 1320 ft to 1000 ft. I don't bother watching anymore. Then again, racing in a straight line doesn't thrill me anymore, at least not from a spectator standpoint.

Most racing you now see on TV is pointless anyway. At least most of the stuff in the US. The only US series worth watching is the Continental Tires SPorts Car Challenge. It's still competitive and they race hard. I used to like Rolex Grand Am, but one team almost always wins and they can do no wrong in the eyes of the officials, so not much point wasting time on it.

The best racing on TV is Australian V8 Supercars.

In my opinion, NHRA became irrelevant when they reduced the races from 1320 ft to 1000 ft. I don't bother watching anymore. Then again, racing in a straight line doesn't thrill me anymore, at least not from a spectator standpoint.

Most racing you now see on TV is pointless anyway. At least most of the stuff in the US. The only US series worth watching is the Continental Tires SPorts Car Challenge. It's still competitive and they race hard. I used to like Rolex Grand Am, but one team almost always wins and they can do no wrong in the eyes of the officials, so not much point wasting time on it.

The best racing on TV is Australian V8 Supercars.

The V8 Super Cars is the way Nascar should go. Some great racing there.

Ive not been around as long as many but watched some stuff on the head of NASCAR in the late 60's/early 70's who was an ex-GM employee. Basically everything Mopar that was causing them to win was written to be banned.

Go back and look at how "favorable" NHRA was to the Hemi in Pro Stock when they used to factor based on wt/ci... factored out of being competitive because GM/ford cried like a bunch of bitches. Gliddens arrow got the same treatment, IIRC

At least now the nhra idiots in charge can't factor AJ out of contention with a change in ci or weight since they went to the max ci, min wt format.

Nascrap is a GM show, not a gm/ford show. Fords got the short end in most every decision from that group. When Kenseth won the championship they were PISSED at the nascrap HQ's. Go back and look at the history of penalty handed down up to about 2000. Ford teams got hammered, while the same basic infraction for GM and specifically hendrick teams got a slap on the wrist. Ask Mark Martin and Greg Biffle if you want about championships stolen from them... Even Earnhardt said the issue with Marks car at Martinsville was not the reason he won, it didn't matter one bit to the result. Those that are in the ring, so to speak, know better than to speak honestly about what they really think. Nascrap is one of the most dishonest and corrupt racing organizations around.

Only good thing about fuel racing in nhra anymore are courtney's titties.. :D

NHRA isn't even a sport anymore; It closer resembles a wet t-shirt contest: it doesn't matter who wins, everyone's got nice t**s

It's a 2 edged sword though guys. Not just TF & FC. NHRA changed their rules in Pro Stock to accomodate Mopar when they allowed 4 door cars to run since there were no competetive Mopar bodies that were 2 doors. And anybody remeber the motors in the Dale Eicke & Allen Johnson P/S Avengers of the mid 90s? They were just re-tooled GM blocks & heads & given a MP part #. They even ran the same block as GM. Mopar was a MAJOR sponsor of NHRA at the time & got away with a lot. (Wayne County...)
The fuel engines in Pro competition for the last 25+ years share very very little with the 426 Hemi that started it all. All are aftermarket designs & evolved components.

But I do agree it has become (& has been for a long time) all about $$ with the sanctioning bodies today. They have sold their souls to the devil & have forgotten & forsaken their heritage. It sucks!

And yes the Force women are the best thing to look at on the strip anymore! (.)(.) At least in the pro catagories...

All the reasons why I ended my NHRA membership and stopped racing.NHRA acknowledging Chrysler a long time ago.I witched it happen from the start.I don't back anything NHRA or go to NHRA events.When I go test and tuning it will be at a Ihra track. Mark

The TF And FC engines are not Mopar engines..BUT, the heads ARE the BASIC Mopar desisn and THAT was the point ! No body is saying they are 'Dodge" motors, what they are saying is that they ARE Mopars design,..and they ARE ! IF there was something better out there , they would be running them. NOTHING flows like a HEMI ! I talked to Herb McCandles at lenght one day at tri-State in Cinncy. a few years ago and he said the cry-babies (GM, Phord ) camps, were So loud that NHRA factored and re-factorerd (three times in one season) Mopars to the point they were uncompetitive . This is in Prostock in 1974..that is why he got out of racing. He said the Mopars had to be heavier and with smaller engines . He said " AND we were still winning" , What a statement against GM , Phord ! The last thing he said was that "the NHRA was going to have the Mopars pull a sled with bricks stacked on it so they could adjust the amount of bricks to suit the different tracks to keep Mopar from winning" ! We know he was joking..but the image of that is hilarious !! How embarrasing to GM and Phord to have to win that way ! Just about like the situation today with Harley Davidson and NHRA. HD's are 2600 CC and Suzuki's 1500 ?? The HD's are overhead cams and four vales..just like the Suzuki's !

Modern day Pro-Stock cars should be called Funny car. Doors openings painted on ain't stock.
There was some 4-door Pro-Stock Ford Mavericks ran in the mid to late seventys. And yes, they had four real doors.
I didn't care for the short-cut GM/Mopar engines either. That was a bad time to be a Mopar guy.
Then there was the alledged NOS on the Wayne County Cars.
Kinda funny, that no one got real concerned with the Summit cars that belched fire from the hood scoop & exhaust after it was shut off.
I do see them qualifing closer to mid pack, instead of #1 & #2 now. No bottle I guess.
You know where all this mix & match stuff started, when any body style of GM product was allowed to run a small or big block chevy in it.
Do you think Buick, Pontiac, or Oldsmobile would have been winners with there on engines in them. I don't think so.
NHRA & NASCAR bowed down to GM to allow this to happen.

The TF And FC engines are not Mopar engines..BUT, the heads ARE the BASIC Mopar desisn and THAT was the point ! No body is saying they are 'Dodge" motors, what they are saying is that they ARE Mopars design,..and they ARE ! IF there was something better out there , they would be running them. NOTHING flows like a HEMI ! I talked to Herb McCandles at lenght one day at tri-State in Cinncy. a few years ago and he said the cry-babies (GM, Phord ) camps, were So loud that NHRA factored and re-factorerd (three times in one season) Mopars to the point they were uncompetitive . This is in Prostock in 1974..that is why he got out of racing. He said the Mopars had to be heavier and with smaller engines . He said " AND we were still winning" , What a statement against GM , Phord ! The last thing he said was that "the NHRA was going to have the Mopars pull a sled with bricks stacked on it so they could adjust the amount of bricks to suit the different tracks to keep Mopar from winning" ! We know he was joking..but the image of that is hilarious !! How embarrasing to GM and Phord to have to win that way ! Just about like the situation today with Harley Davidson and NHRA. HD's are 2600 CC and Suzuki's 1500 ?? The HD's are overhead cams and four vales..just like the Suzuki's !
Back in the day they were closer to a Chrysler Hemi, but you also had guys running the Keith Balck Chevy engines too. The Hemi engines used in the modern fuel car era have evolved way beyond what Chrysler produced & with no help from Chrysler. I'm talking about the purpose built blocks & heads designed solely for Nitro racing. These were designed & improved on by guys like Brad Anderson & Allan Johnson among others, with dual plug heads, stronger webbing in the blocks diferent bore spacing etc. So really there isn't much of Chrysler's design left in it anyway. It's a product of evolution. The hemispherical combustion chamber's main advantage in Nitro racing is it's ability to support the extreme amounts of cylinder pressures generated by Nitromethane. A wedge simply wouldn't hold up. The power generated by the different teams is more reliant on the fuel systems & the tuner's abiltiy to match it with the load of the clutch during a run than anything. You can trace it's roots to the Chrysler Hemi, but for them to say they are running Chrysler engines in them would be a stretch anymore. I don't think giving any credit to any of the automakers now would be fair. I just think it grew beyond that.

Lonewolf..when you said "trace their roots to Chrysler design" ,..well that was what we are saying . It is a refined Hemi design,..NOT a wedge design .

Fuel classes have been HEMI based just about all my life... I don't care if it's an aftermarket piece (starting way back with the Donovan 417), it's still based on a Chrysler HEMI...
And don't start me on Harley Davidson...There is not one single H-D part on that thing (it's a bike pretending to be H-D based)... Whereas the 4cylinder based engines I believe still have to use a stock head casting, WTF?

Fuel classes have been HEMI based just about all my life... I don't care if it's an aftermarket piece (starting way back with the Donovan 417), it's still based on a Chrysler HEMI...
And don't start me on Harley Davidson...There is not one single H-D part on that thing (it's a bike pretending to be H-D based)... Whereas the 4cylinder based engines I believe still have to use a stock head casting, WTF?

You got that right. All i can say is it's still a HEMI under the F#$%ing
Toycar body.
This is getting ridiculous. Dodge getting out of Nascar( pronounce that)
Wuscar. Now this! We just cant get any respect.
All forms of racing SHOULD go back to a real STOCK body.
This country is just going to S%#T!:violent1:

NH RA Pro stock did some funny things to mopar.The reason they used GM engines is the same reason you are saying a hemi isn't a hemi.And is to slap the face of all mopers.If you had a winner in pro stock the first thing they would say is it had a Chevy engine in it.The hem is mopar no matter how you look at it.It comes from a hemispherical combustion chamber head design.They all use and it is mopar.Call what you want but the fact is it is CHRYSLER. Top fuel no matter what body it has on it the distributor comes out at an angle pointing to the passenger side of the car.That is mopar to me.Look at this website, http://www.sonnysracingengines.com/ is this a Chevy engine? 1 Chevy never made a hemi but if you discredit Chrysler then anybody can claim they have a hemi.Mark
Modern day Pro-Stock cars should be called Funny car. Doors openings painted on ain't stock.
There was some 4-door Pro-Stock Ford Mavericks ran in the mid to late seventys. And yes, they had four real doors.
I didn't care for the short-cut GM/Mopar engines either. That was a bad time to be a Mopar guy.
Then there was the alledged NOS on the Wayne County Cars.
Kinda funny, that no one got real concerned with the Summit cars that belched fire from the hood scoop & exhaust after it was shut off.
I do see them qualifing closer to mid pack, instead of #1 & #2 now. No bottle I guess.
You know where all this mix & match stuff started, when any body style of GM product was allowed to run a small or big block chevy in it.
Do you think Buick, Pontiac, or Oldsmobile would have been winners with there on engines in them. I don't think so.
NHRA & NASCAR bowed down to GM to allow this to happen.

-
Back