Nice cam for my 273?

-

Rockerdude

Rock n' Roll and A-bodies
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm freshening up a 273, want to switch to hydraulic lifters, and want a little lope, but want to stay with the stock converter. What cam should I run? Heads are stock. The motor was a 2 barrel, so its got the flat tops, stock commando 4 barrel intake, and 600 cfm Carter 4 barrel . Has stock manifolds with duals.

Thanks

I would go with the 268.

Damn! For a basically stock 273? Stock converter and everything?

I ran the XE256 in a 318 with magnum heads in my dart before I transplanted the motor in my 74 W100. Good choice over stock. Not much lope though, but I was happy with it. I think that I have a link to a video somewhere. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCjc1rPRiCw"]‪Dart before teardown‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

The Isky E4 has been recommended by many for the 273.
All I know is what I've read/learned from the wise guys here, Those cams like Comp Thumper take away from low end . You already have a bit of low end issue in that single plane intake. The cast iron dual plane from a 318 would be a improvement. It will work well with the stock exhaust manifolds too. If you step up to the Edelbrock performer intake, exhaust manifolds still aren't really an issue but ... if you ever did upgrade the exhaust you will already have the intake. Just points to ponder.

Damn! For a basically stock 273? Stock converter and everything?

Comp plainly advertises it as the largest cam for a stock converter. You said you wanted some lope.

The 256 in Badart's video sounds good. It is in a 318 and has headers too. A stock low compression 273 cant handle much cam so I wouldn't go much bigger than that, although the 268 that StrokerScamp suggested would have a pretty nasty sound in a 273. I'd like to hear that one. I have a Isky E-4 in my hp-273 and it works good but it is a solid lifter cam. A little more lope would be cool though. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v555B5_uBJ4"]‪HP273- Isky E4- Accurate LTD exhaust‬‏ - YouTube[/ame][ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKlIiP43cVo&feature=related"]‪67 Dart‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

Here's a vid from MVRCorp and his 273.

Have you done a compression check on your 273? If so, please let me know what you have. I only have around 110 on mine and I think whoever rebuilt my 273 HiPo put in
60 over standard pistons and a cam that is too big for the small motor. I advanced my
cam by one tooth to get the compression up a hair but still the motor won't ping no
matter how high I advance the timing. Don't know what size cam it has in it, didn't see
any marking on the cam when I advanced the timing by a tooth. From what I've read
I guess a lot of people put in too big a cam in this small engine.

I did a compression test before I rebuilt it and got around 150 psi. I hope you're not advancing your cam a tooth. It should be done with offset keys and not more than a few degrees.

I did a compression test before I rebuilt it and got around 150 psi. I hope you're not advancing your cam a tooth. It should be done with offset keys and not more than a few degrees.

I agree. I was just wondering how many degrees a tooth would be. You can bend valves like that too.

I agree. I was just wondering how many degrees a tooth would be. You can bend valves like that too.

That scares me! LOL I think its like 12 deg. or something like that.

wow, you got 150 psi with standard pistons. I would think I should get that also if they
put 60 over standard pistons in my 273 when they rebuilt it. Do you get that after you
rebuilt it also - since you can't buy 273 head gaskets anymore and have to use 318 ones which are bigger. One the cam advance - I read somewhere that if you have to advance a cam more than 8 degrees, the cam is too big. Sooo, I counted the teeth on my cam gear, divided by 360 and got each tooth was a shy under 8 degrees. Moved it up a tooth, a timing light confirmed I my 8 degrees, moved the dist to get timing back to what it was. Car runs a little better, compression a little higher than what it was, but still
can't get car to ping on regular gas no matter how high advance the timing. Tried a
couple of distributers also. Didn't want to get off your subject but think my 273 has
too big a cam in it and I didn't want you to do that also. Can't figure out what cam
mine has in it since I can't find any stampings on it.

The compression test was with factory HP pistons. My +.030 Hp pistons from Egge got me 9.7 compression with a bit of head milling and a thin head gasket.
I haven't done a compression test since the rebuild. The HP pistons should get you around 150+ and the flat tops should get around 120. Cam timing won't change your compression much.

what about the isky 264 mega cam? My dad had one in his 273 and it had a nice lope to it, ran pretty strong for a small motor.

you could run 455 lift with 228 duration with the 600 cfm carb. i got that in my interceptor and runs very well. purple cam is the way to go even though i got a crane in mine.

Think I decided on the Purple shaft. What springs should I run with that guy?

you could run 455 lift with 228 duration with the 600 cfm carb. i got that in my interceptor and runs very well. purple cam is the way to go even though i got a crane in mine.

I was just on Flatlander's website and opened the Crane catalog. They have a butt-load of good looking hydraulic cams, and a few nice hydraulic rollers. Crane is back in business!

-
Back