"Nice car"

-
Wow, these stories are sparking memories of past comments.

When I roll into a show or cruize there is usually one or two people that immediately run up to the car before I can even park and start asking me questions.
They are usually Mopar lovers that talk to me for about a half hour or so right off the bat.

Most Women in their 50's make the comment that the car is just "plain sexy".....I usually come back with, "nope, it's just me. LOL". Sometimes it comes from the younger babes-gets my blood pumpin'.

Little kids go ape **** over the car and jump up and down and make comments like "Look Dad, a race car!" ha, ha...gotta love putting smiles on the kids faces.

This one never fails....a group of teenage boys lingering around the car for a while, walk away, come back, look again, walk away, then one of the bravest of them comes over and says "I hate to ask you this, but would you mind please just starting it up so we can hear it.".....yeah, I can do that....then out come the cell phones for a quick video.

Get alot of people snapping cell phone pics at red lights.

Yes, gas station visits can turn into long conversations with total strangers.

I don't have much patience for the drunks because they always want to druel, lean on the car, open doors, open the hood and fondle the paint like a blow up doll.

I never turned down a hot babe that wanted to take pics with the car....touch all you want as long as I get to take a bootie shot.

Every now and then I get the occasional Mopar purist who looks at the car with disdain and makes snide comments then walks off dazed to go take a valium as he feverishly wipes a bug off of his 70 charger with a cotton swap soaked in environmentally friendly denatured alcohol.

I am very wary of toothless people because you never know what to expect and usually it involves them spouting off their opposition to me not doing things with my car that they would do had they owned it.....then after asking me a billion questions they spout off exactly how fast my car will run in the quarter because....they just know these things.. ha, ha.

My favorite of all time, and usually get one at every show....."Dude, I don't care what anyone says...this is the baddest effin car here, man!"....I like that one.
Then I reply...."And for $35-k, it can be in your garage today." ha, ha.

pops-1.jpg

newbuffer2.jpg

"Wow that thing's got a v8! What is it, a 350?" Then I tell them what it is. Then I usually get:

(If it's a Mopar guy) "Cool project!!"

(Anybody else) "Why? You shoulda put a (insert other engine here, usually either a sbc or LS1) in it. Would have been so much better."

The second response bothered me for a little while, but now it's starting to get funny. My buddy, who gets a big kick out of it btw, took a coffee can and put "LS1 Fund" on it so I can display it while I'm at the track, meet, or whatever. That way, when the LS1 nutswingers come by I can just point to the can and say "donations welcome". It's still empty, go figure. :tongue:

Other than that I get "Cool 240sx". ](*,)

I bought my 72 duster in Florida back in Feb. and stashed it at my in-laws till the snow melted up here and my wife and I drove it back to VT in 30 hours.
It was early morning, after a night of driving and we stopped to gas up in Penselvaynia, I go inside to get a coffee and pay and the ~25 year old cashier says to me

"nice car, is that a mustang?" I replied "no, its a plymouth duster"
"oh" he says, "what year?"
"1972" I say, to which he replies "oh, yeah, I thought so" ](*,)disgust

usually it goes like this: What year? Does it have a slant 6? then they add-they run forever.
My daughter gets more thumbs up and waves then me. But the best comment after the usual first 2 questions was simply "enjoy it"

Most of the people where I live don't usually see an American car at all. When they do it's normally not that old, so most people don't even know what car it is, other than that it is an old American. When I am driving I get a lot of thumbs up and kids turning their heads and pointing out to their relatives in their cars. And at gasstations people often say that it must probably consume a lot more then their car...but everything is allowed in a hobby they say....

Attachments

• DSC00029 - kopie2a.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 122
" NICE CAR, DO THE #S MATCH"

so sick of hearing it.

brain washed

Yes, the #'s are matching, except for one thing. When I bought the car the front seats weren't usable anymore at all, so I replaced them with 1985 Volvo seats as they fold away to the side, just as the original seats. I also gave the seats away to a guy who was restoring a Challenger. Dumb, dumb...I should have kept the seats to put them back in the car at one point.....The car is a 318 with console shift autotrans. I really have become mad about the car over the years..I own it now for about 6 years and my love for it keeps on growing....I even got married in it last summer (see picture)....I have a good excuse for never selling it now, lol...

Attachments

• 1214244491_5_tZ7__1.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 90
I get the "nice car" comments quite often, but the funniest thing I encountered was being at a Sunday car show, and two older ladies walking together stopped to look at the car, and began pointing to the back seat and giggling to eachother. I was close by enough to hear them mention how they remember when so-so had a car like this and how they (continuing to point to the back seat). I thought it was one of the best comments yet about the old car.:toothy7:

Attachments

• DSC03167.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 105
-
Back