Nice stock throttle cable bracket that works with aftermarket manifolds

-

moparmat2000

Reaction score
Picked up a throttle cable bracket off an early 1980s ram van with a 360 in the boneyard. This one had the remnants of a thermo quad on it. This bracket sets the cable height nicely on a taller performer RPM. I dont get any binding or sticking when I push the mocked up pedal at WOT. I dont care about the trans kickdown part on the bracket, and plan on cutting it off and rounding the edges since my car is going to be a 4 speed. I may cut and raise it up a little more then reweld it. Heres pix.

20200811_080811.jpg

20200811_080804.jpg

20200810_183941.jpg

Nope, the local yard I frequent is free to get into. This yard is 10 acres of cars and trucks. The owner lets me drive up and down the rows in my truck pulling whatever parts I need. I normally leave the tailgate down and have all my tools in old heavy duty galley trays on a piece of plywood I put in the back of my truck on the tailgate, along with my 2&1/2 ton floor jack. I use junk steel rims to support cars that I jack up, and use my tailgate like a workbench with plywood on it.

See the green scamp in the backround behind the front of my truck? The sheetmetal transition pan and inner wheel houses from it ended up welded into my sons 69 notchback. A fellow fabo buddy and I purchased the whole *** end of this car. They cut it at the A pillars and behind the torsion bar crossmember. He got all the rust free exterior sheetmetal when we got it back to the shop, I got the rest.

20160709_093443.jpg

20160227_125300.jpg

Last edited:
Nice! Wish I could have had access like that when I yanked out my A500 and ford 8.8 rear.

Yep. That woulda been great. It's all got its pros and cons though for both. I have hit the pick n pulls in north Dallas though. Pay $1 to get in, sign a waiver, grab a wheelbarrow with double outrigger wheels so its tip resistant. The nice thing with those is the prices are set in stone on their website, the lot is smooth crushed gravel, and every vehicle is is set up on 4 old welded together steel rims for stands. So yeah the pick n pulls are nice in all that regard.

My local price here on an 8.8 exploder rear I gotta pull is $225 cash money. Watch out for rattlesnakes, wasps, scorpions etc. Deal with mud, dirt, have to jack and shore it up yourself before pulling the parts

In Dallas pick n pulls its $165, plus extra $30 if I am not returning a core, plus a $3 environmental fee, and 8.25% state sales tax I also have to drive almost 3 hours to get there, and then back. So add in the fuel costs, and breakfast and lunch to the total. So $214 for the axle plus fuel and food and waste a whole day since theres 6 hours of drive time. So yeah theres pros and cons to both.

For the 42RH we are using, I just bought a complete but worn out 1992 dodge dakota V6 pickup truck off craigslist about an hour away for $400. Got it home and stripped out everything I could sell off it including the rust free cab floor pans. Engine was complete junk so I separated the aluminum from the steel on the engine to scrap seperately. I turned the *** end of the truck into a useable utility trailer, and loaded it with scrap metal and the V6 from it's self. Future plans include eventually a quickie body n paint job. Painting the rims dark gray, adding chrome acorn lug nuts and stainless beauty rings, 50 cal ammo box bolted to the frame for ratchet strap storage, and forward bed running lights.

By the time I was done selling dakota parts and scrapping the rest I had a transmission, huge box of body bolts n clip nuts, mini starter, driveshaft yoke, and utility trailer. By selling and scrapping what was left I got my $400 back that I spent making all that free.

20191021_185800.jpg

20191026_130004.jpg

20191026_182439.jpg

20191026_195647.jpg

20191027_184414.jpg

20191105_063809.jpg

20200104_094619.jpg

Last edited:
Was a club cab V6, I was originally looking for a standard cab long bed V6 so I could have a longer trailer. But price was right, it had the trans I needed, and it wasnt too far away to go and get.

Last edited:
Add a hydraulic lift dump system and it would be perfect!

Last foray into my local yard this past friday, I let my guard down and got wasp stung. Little bastards hurt. My left hand swelled up like a sausage, and ran it's own fever for 3 days lol. This happened at 9am. I took vacation time to junkyard hunt and so I was not going to leave until I got most of what I needed on my list. I finally went home at 2pm, iced it down and took dome benadryl. Its finally back to normal today. First pic is my swollen hand lol

20200807_140020.jpg

20200807_140028.jpg

Last edited:
The other good thing with my local yard compared to pick n pulls is that the pick n pulls are high turn salvage yards since they are in or near big cities. They get so many vehicles daily, that they flatten em every 2-3 weeks. If you see what you want, you better get it right then. Next week it may be gone. This may be why the inexpensive pricing. They make money on sheer volume in sales. My local yard has old stuff thats been there 15-20 years or more. Even the trucks and vans take up residence some times 5-8 years. The owner doesnt crush out the old vintage stuff. He just moves it around and replants it when he clears out rows of cars for the flattener.

Last edited:
Nope, the local yard I frequent is free to get into. This yard is 10 acres of cars and trucks. The owner lets me drive up and down the rows in my truck pulling whatever parts I need. I normally leave the tailgate down and have all my tools in old heavy duty galley trays on a piece of plywood I put in the back of my truck on the tailgate, along with my 2&1/2 ton floor jack. I use junk steel rims to support cars that I jack up, and use my tailgate like a workbench with plywood on it.

See the green scamp in the backround behind the front of my truck? The sheetmetal transition pan and inner wheel houses from it ended up welded into my sons 69 notchback. A fellow fabo buddy and I purchased the whole *** end of this car. They cut it at the A pillars and behind the torsion bar crossmember. He got all the rust free exterior sheetmetal when we got it back to the shop, I got the rest.

View attachment 1715576550

View attachment 1715576551

Rattlesnakes??? No thanks...

I'll pay mancini's price to not get bit by a rattlesnake...

Oh, it's not so bad. In 25 years of junkyarding out here, only dealt with 1 rattlesnake, one spider bite from a hobo spider that blew up and turned purple, and 1 wasp sting. Didnt get bitten by the snake. Normally they feel the vibrations of vehicles approaching and they slither off. They dont like people, and prefer to avoid us actually.

I take my sidearm, a trenching shovel, and wear my leather boots just in case anyways. This one time is the only time I ever saw one. My buddy runs goats in his wrecking yard. They keep everything mowed down, and the constant racket of them walking around keeps the snakes away. In the winter time it's about 25° to 30° out, so everything out there is dormant.

Last edited:
Well I got my 4 barrel van throttle bracket, and an aluminum right angle oil filter adaptor off a 318 M body long block that was laying on its side in the back part of the yard. I needed this for sons car. We will be using 68-71 340 exhaust manny's and need this. Also got a couple kick down cables off late model dodge trucks for my sons 42RH, and a bunch of other misc goodies, and odds n ends I needed including a decent pair of 14x5 SBP steelies as roll around rims for project cars. Just gotta de mount the junk tires, sandblast and primer the rim beads, and get some ok roller tires mounted

I enquired about the 4bbl intake manifolds on the dodge ram vans. He told me $25 each if I pull em. I was considering one for sonny's car if I dont have the scratch for a weiand stealth for it. All 9/16 bolts, and a screw driver to pop it off. Something for me to concider

Last edited:
Last foray into my local yard this past friday, I let my guard down and got wasp stung. Little bastards hurt. My left hand swelled up like a sausage, and ran it's own fever for 3 days lol. This happened at 9am. I took vacation time to junkyard hunt and so I was not going to leave. I finally went home at 2pm, iced it down and took dome benadryl. Its finally back to normal today. First pic is my swollen hand lol

View attachment 1715576610

View attachment 1715576611
That’s dedication.

Last thing I got at this first yard was that M body 90° angle oil filter adaptor off the 318 laying on its side. I was a little loopy from the wasp sting and the heat. I remember me rolling up in my truck to this 318 piled next to other junk engines and saying out loud to myself "well looky there a 90° filter adaptor. Should I get it? Dont mind if I do. Thank you Mr 318. I appreciate ya" Then i hit a second local yard that I dont normally go to because ya have to walk it. They dont allow vehicles in. That one i was from 1pm to about 2pm.

I freeze my water bottles the night before and drink it as it thaws. Drank about a gallon. It was 106° that day. Never pissed out a drop either. The sun sucked the moisture out of me all day as I was working.

Pic below is what I found in the second yard. It's insane what people will throw away. Car was solid, and full of rat poop.

20200807_135054.jpg

20200807_135110.jpg

Picked up a throttle cable bracket off an early 1980s ram van with a 360 in the boneyard. This one had the remnants of a thermo quad on it. This bracket sets the cable height nicely on a taller performer RPM. I dont get any binding or sticking when I push the mocked up pedal at WOT. I dont care about the trans kickdown part on the bracket, and plan on cutting it off and rounding the edges since my car is going to be a 4 speed. I may cut and raise it up a little more then reweld it. Heres pix.

View attachment 1715576323

View attachment 1715576325

View attachment 1715576326
This bracket came factory on 1973 340s Then 74 up 360 4bbls and then on the later 318 4bbls. Kim

oldkimmer would the kickdown linkage rod with this bracket off the donor dodge van work on an A body? With 10 acres of cars and trucks, I am sure I can find another one of these for my sons car. His will be an automatic. Just wondering if I'd be better off using a rod type linkage on his 42RH instead of adapting the cable linkage.

With the 106° blazing heat, and wasp sting swelling up my hand, either that was dedication or stupidity lol. I got home, and was completely out of it. Normally I go in the spring, fall, or winter.

Ya gotta stop taking those gateway drugs like Benadryl, lol

The gateway drug for me is the irresistible pull of potential rusty gold from the junkyard. I caught that bug a long time ago when I was 16 and needed parts for a heater control on my 68 charger. My pops and I went to the local N.J. pick n pull yard, and I thought I was in heaven. Now whenever I pass a wrecking yard when on a road trip, I get this really bad urge to check it out. When I am with the wife i say nothing. She already knows and points em out to me LoL. i make mental notes to go back by myself at a later date.

The gateway drug for me is the irresistible pull of potential rusty gold from the junkyard. I caught that bug a long time ago when I was 16 and needed parts for a heater control on my 68 charger. My pops and I went to the local N.J. pick n pull yard, and I thought I was in heaven. Now whenever I pass a wrecking yard when on a road trip, I get this really bad urge to check it out. When I am with the wife i say nothing. She already knows and points em out to me LoL. i make mental notes to go back by myself at a later date.

Yeah, used to be same around here, but not anymore, which sucks. I used to spend many hours going through a couple of good local junkyards, not "auto-recyclers", but they're gone around here. Sad.

oldkimmer heres the one I got off a van with a Rochester Q jet carb. Its lower in height than the other one I am using with my performer RPM. I was wondering if I could use the kickdown rod and linkages off this van on my sons 69 A body with a 42RH trans instead of a cable setup.

I was also thinking of going back and getting its 4bbl intake manifold as well. Wondering how well this would work with an adaptor for an eddy 600 squarebore carb on a 318.

20200812_065621.jpg

-
Back