Niehoff tachometer

-

dodgegtdart68

Reaction score
I am looking for ANY & ALL information on this tachometer. How to wire it in ??

IMG_20210306_161232_320.jpg

IMG_20210306_161204_519.jpg

IMG_20210228_211850_036.jpg

IMG_20210228_211818_292.jpg

I don't know but be careful lest you ruin it. There are several possibilities...........

May have a battery hidden inside needs replaced
May need an external sender like the older Suns
(If this is the case try hooking your ohmeter to it and swap lead polarity both ways, look for any meter movement of the tach)
May hook to coil + (and ground)
May be set up to trigger on mag/ alternator pulses on a 2 stroke such as outboard

I'm guessing it has something missing.

I don't know but be careful lest you ruin it. There are several possibilities...........

May have a battery hidden inside needs replaced
May need an external sender like the older Suns
(If this is the case try hooking your ohmeter to it and swap lead polarity both ways, look for any meter movement of the tach)
May hook to coil + (and ground)
May be set up to trigger on mag/ alternator pulses on a 2 stroke such as outboard

It does have a screw so u can turn it 4 / 6 / 8 on it. The black wire is a light and there's only the red wire.

The sender is a brain box similar to the old time tachometers, Sun tachs & others used them in the later 50's up until the three wire tachs came in the market.

So how would it hook up ??? What do u meen a sender ???
Tachs such as the old Sun that need a sender, the "head" just a delicate meter (milliammeter). There is no electronic circuitry in the head. The head has two wires (from the meter) that goes to the sender.

This is possibly the ultimate example of a "tach head" that needs a sender. This is the home-made tach used in the old Mopar "high n mighty". (Actually it might be out of the recreation) It is a meter out of some piece of test equipment, or perhaps even bought new from such as "Allied Radio" in the time. It was hand lettered, and whatever sender/ electronics that drove it were in a box "somewhere" in the car

113_0704_05_z-ram_rod-tachometer.jpg

I haven't seen any Neihoff boxes in 25 years or better. You might post a "Wanted ad" over on HAMB & see if you get any bites there. Those tachs & sender boxes are extremely rare these days.

I believe the home made tach in High & Mighty was made from the face of an old Simpson meter, at least that's what it resembles. If you look at the face of a Simpson 260 meter, you'll see what I'm referring to.

If this turns out to need an external sender, look around the www. There are various people printed various tach circuits and a few selling them. Whatever you build/ get will need a calibration pot of some sort to account for whatever the meter "is" for full scale current

if you have a cheap component tester, they come with a PWM output that may tickle that power wire into some sort of sender emulator. Found this: "...Niehoff gauges were made by Stewart Warner, and sold as the Napa house brand..."
csi-tc1-0.jpg

-
Back