Nikkis 66 dart 270 daily driver.

-
get a bigger cam and I like to use 600 grit. I think it's what mike told me to use.

So I got the cam and lifters. I ended up getting a little bigger than stock...

RV 254 S Mechanical grind.

Specs................INT. EXH.

Duration DEG.......254/ 254

Valve lift.............435/ .435

Valve lash............012/ .012 (yeah I don't think so. I will go with the stock .010/.020)

I don't want to spend any more money on this but I'm thinking about throwing the block in the trunk of the dart and taking it to the machine shop and having them throw in a new set of cam bearings. The stock ones aren't bad but I don't want to wipe out the new cam. The pistons are still in the block and I am not taking them out!

I'm still waiting for the gasket kit and bearings to get here.

I brought the crank in to my machinist today and he is going to clean it up so the standard bearings I got from rockauto wont work so now I have to see if they will exchange them. I should be getting the block back tomorrow with new cam bearings installed.

I did just buy another slant for 300 bucks from the owner of the machine shop/parts store (one of the few left that isn't owned by O'Reilly and is run by real car guys all older than 25 years old!). It was going to be his back up motor for his truck but he sold the truck. It is a low miles truck motor with a rebuilt hyd. head. I think I will swap the pan and pick up for car ones, bolt on the stock 66 1bbl for now and drop it in the car as is, black motor, red intake who cares it will run!

Then when we get the stock 66 motor all rebuilt and detailed with the new cam and 2bbl we will swap the motors and the truck motor will be the back up in case one of the cars dies.

that car is clean! nice find. and nikki working on it is a nice thing to see. i love it when the girls wrench on the cars hehe. good find on the car and the girl.

I got the crank back and it is now 10/10 so I have to reorder the bearings. The new cam bearings are in the block, and all the other parts are sitting there waiting. The stock 66 motor will get the rebuild along with the cam, the offy intake, 390 and headers and will go in the 48. The current motor in the 48 will be the back up motor that will just sit in the back of the garage and wait for something to go kaboom. The motor that I bought from the owner of the machine shop is going in the 66 (with any luck tomorrow). I sanded it all down, primered it, painted it Chrysler red then clear coated it. I was going to take pics but the battery in my camera died but it looks just as shiny and detailed as the motor in the 48. I am going to leave the 1bbl on it for now until I get a gas pedal and cable from a 66 V8 car then I will throw on one of the 2bbls.

The only problem I came across (brain farted on my part) is the flex plate I have is the stock one from the 66 with the 904 and the motor is a late model hydraulic head out of a truck with a 4 speed so the crank is 2 1/4" and the hole in the flex plate is 2" :angry7: I will solve that problem tomorrow with the die grinder. It may not be the right way to do it but seeing as how I don't have a lathe (yet) I can open the hole up 1/4", it will work and all the bolt holes will still line up just fine.

I want to get this car on the road tomorrow!

Sweet! Ill bet Nikki is stoked to have her car up and running again. are you gonna totally tear down the '66 motor?

I already tore it down, the only thing that I didn't take out were the pistons and rods. It had great compression, didn't smoke and there are no scratches in the cylinder walls. Other than that everything else will be new.

IT'S DONE!!!

The motor was in this afternoon, and after several "**** I knew I forgot something" runs to the parts store we fired her up and she runs great! I have to back off the timing because she is pinging under a load but other than having to put the hood back on and washing all the pine tree sap off her tomorrow after work everything is done.
I also got rid of the 13" wheels and put on the 14" wheels and tires (thanks Redscampi! ). I will drive her back and forth to work for a few days and then hand over the keys to Nikki!

I will get pics as soon as I get off my *** and buy a new battery for my camera.

You should go get those batteries, at the same place they have bacon and beer...... just a thought.

Got in, started right up, kicked down was soon as she was warm, and drove to work just fine. I still have to drop the timing down to around 8* (it's at 12* right now). Looks like Nikki will get to start driving her to work tomorrow...or the next day :snakeman:

Good Deal! Can't wait to see it moving. Hey, Ross found an engine wiring harness from a later A body that has that plug connector on the Scamp's firewall that I was asking about. He's bringing it to Sunbust next week.

Great job again :cheers: Thank you for this tread :cheers::cheers::cheers:
Do you like the cam you used?

Ta Da!!!

1986 truck motor with a rebuilt head, stock 66 1bbl and a new oil pump...

100_5147.jpg

100_5148.jpg

100_5149.jpg

100_5150.jpg

100_5151.jpg

I forgot :read2: Is that a 170? You sure got things going mam =P~
Nice job on every thing I seen in this thread :-D Thank you for sharing you knowledge and skills :cheers: Know let's see Nikki in the driver's seat :cheers:

Good work JR, I really like the hub caps too, not many people use those, they look cool with the white walls! Not to change subjects but how is the repair on the Dart comming along?

"I have been doing the HEI swaps in mopars for years (the first one was based off of Goldduster318's website a long time ago) and they are 1000% better than anything Mopar ever put out. Face it Ma Mopar could make some kick *** motors but when it came to electronics 3 retarded monkeys and a blind wombat could do a better job!

-GM one wire alternator and the madelectrical bypass. Done it before and it worked better than any mopar alternator ever could."

Yah, well if GM is so damned good at electronics, how come Mother Mopar beat them to market time after time after time? If the marketplace waited for GM to innovate anything we would still be running engines with magneto ignitions and splash oiling.​

Not saying that they are the greatest but IMO HEI ignition is way better that mopar electronic for daily driving. I have done many swaps and there is a night and day difference. Just because someone is the first to market doesn't make them better!

And if I had one for a slant six I would run a magneto on the street in a daily driver with no problem! Give Joe Hunt mags a call and talk to them for a while about it. http://www.huntmagnetos.com/

-
Back