Nine inch clutch sources ?

-

4spdcuda66

Reaction score
I have a 66 Formula S four speed that is going to get a mild performance build, around 300hp, is there a replacement clutch available that will hold up to the hp requirements and fit inside the stock 9" bellhouse?

I have been looking also. No one makes one as far as I know. I've been searching for years. I talked to my local ClutchMasters guy and he said he could juice up my stock clutch with kevlar disk and heavier springs in the pressure plate for more clamping force. I am looking for a 9 1/2" clutch. (different application) Not much bigger but the biggest that will fit. Check out these posts. http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=75597&highlight=clutch
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=71132&highlight=clutch

I don't recall the size but a member of Mopax runs a Bronco II clutch

I'm going through the same thing. There is a 10 inch scalloped clutch and pressure plate that will bolt up to the flywheel. I had HR clutches rebuild mine to about the same level, 300 HP, but have not installed it yet. McLeod makes a very nice 10 inch disc but have'nt installed it either. Right now I have a standard 10 inch clutch and pressure plate and i'ts starting to slip at 6k powershifts, after only 5k highway miles.

You can try Spec clutch at SPECclutches.com
Stage 1 clutch kit pt#0051825 for 65-67 273 A-body
Some of the slant six guys are using them.

You can try Spec clutch at SPECclutches.com
Stage 1 clutch kit pt#0051825 for 65-67 273 A-body
Some of the slant six guys are using them.

I'm there. Thanks for the info. toolman

I just e-mailed them for more information. Mike

Toolman,
Please keep us posted on what you learn - i would like to keep my early bellhousing if i can and use a good clutch... Not much info on the website about the diameter of the clutch and whether it's an OEM replacement...
Patrick

Got an e-mail from Spec.. 10.5" clutch. Most applications don't think early A's ever had a small clutch. As far as I've ever known, the diameter of the disc is the clutch size. I just took my 66 Dart apart. HP273/833 4-speed. The clutch disc was 9" and the bolt circle is 10 1/2" for the pressure plate. The clutch manufacturers need to get their head screwed on straight for this application.
I asked Spec for specifications and measurements but as usual, Most tech people are brain dead and don't have a clue what their talking about. I gave them my application and told them the pressure plate bolt circle. I'll keep you posted. toolman

Done deal! I didn't call them stupid but I set them straight. The only way a
10 1/2" clutch will work on an early A is with a late 60's or newer neutral balanced flywheel and the aluminum bellhousing to go with it. The clutch linkage needs modified also. Check other posts on this subject on this website
for more info.. toolman

I got a 10 inch clutch disc from McLeod, PN 260126. Talked to Red himself. Looked up the part myself. Nice Part!! McLeod also sells a 9 1/4 inch clutch and PP. Having had one of these cars forever, I wanted the most surface area as possible. McLeod does not have a 10 inch Scalloped PP, so I then called HR Clutches near Philly PA. They made a HD 10" Borg and Beck PP but, have not got a chance to install them. If this one does not hold I will give up using my original bellhousing and install 10.95" Scalloped Clutch and Borg and Beck/Long in a 340 bellhousing with the Brewers parts. That I know will hold.

If this one does not hold I will give up using my original bellhousing and install 10.95" Scalloped Clutch and Borg and Beck/Long in a 340 bellhousing with the Brewers parts. That I know will hold.

That’s exactly what I did and you are correct, early A Low first gear + 10.95 inch clutch = awesome launch. The only drawback is the aluminum bell and limited Driver side exhaust routing.

BcudaRear2.JPG

Got an e-mail from Spec.. 10.5" clutch. Most applications don't think early A's ever had a small clutch. As far as I've ever known, the diameter of the disc is the clutch size. I just took my 66 Dart apart. HP273/833 4-speed. The clutch disc was 9" and the bolt circle is 10 1/2" for the pressure plate. The clutch manufacturers need to get their head screwed on straight for this application.
I asked Spec for specifications and measurements but as usual, Most tech people are brain dead and don't have a clue what their talking about. I gave them my application and told them the pressure plate bolt circle. I'll keep you posted. toolman
That's the same story I get too. Must be Ford and Chevy guys.

I found Advance auto shows a 9 1/4 clutch part # MU1676-1 borg+beck for 133.99 assembly. The pic of it looks to be the correct 3 finger replacement.

I have a 66 Formula S four speed that is going to get a mild performance build, around 300hp, is there a replacement clutch available that will hold up to the hp requirements and fit inside the stock 9" bellhouse?

I just bought a 9.5" clutch kit from Brewer's Performance in Ohio. It fits the stock 9" bellhousing and they supply special bolts to make this happen. It pulls real good in my 65 barracuda with a mildly built 318.
Brewer's is in many of the popular mopar magazines and easy to find online.
Tell Wayne that P.Daniel Clark sent you. He should remember me.
Good luck. They also sell any hardware you might need for your clutch and shifter. I have an extra lower bellhousing cover for sale if you need one. They are kind of hard to find. If yours is lost or missing for some reason, let me know.

FuryDan,
Is the Brewer's clutch kit a stock replacement or a little more aggressive? Interested in learning more about this! Thanks for the update... Patrick

FuryDan,
Is the Brewer's clutch kit a stock replacement or a little more aggressive? Interested in learning more about this! Thanks for the update... Patrick

I don't have much info on it..All I told them is that I had the stock 9" clutch and needed to replace it. Wayne at Brewer's told me about their clutch. It all went together perfectly except for 1 bolt that I broke. It took a bit to get another bolt to replace it. It is a special small shoulder bolt to allow for the bigger clutch disc. The clutch kit comes with a new pressure plate and throw-out bearing and looks just like the original only slightly bigger. It uses the stock clutch fork.
Dan

I just bought a 9.5" clutch kit from Brewer's Performance in Ohio. It fits the stock 9" bellhousing and they supply special bolts to make this happen. It pulls real good in my 65 barracuda with a mildly built 318.
Brewer's is in many of the popular mopar magazines and easy to find online.
Tell Wayne that P.Daniel Clark sent you. He should remember me.
Good luck. They also sell any hardware you might need for your clutch and shifter. I have an extra lower bellhousing cover for sale if you need one. They are kind of hard to find. If yours is lost or missing for some reason, let me know.
Thanks for the info. I have the housing cover, thanks for the offer.8)

I don't have much info on it..All I told them is that I had the stock 9" clutch and needed to replace it. Wayne at Brewer's told me about their clutch. It all went together perfectly except for 1 bolt that I broke. It took a bit to get another bolt to replace it. It is a special small shoulder bolt to allow for the bigger clutch disc. The clutch kit comes with a new pressure plate and throw-out bearing and looks just like the original only slightly bigger. It uses the stock clutch fork.
Dan
That sounds good, let us all know how it performs. Thanks.8)

Thanks for the info Danno' That's as close to a performance clutch as I've seen.
What did that set you back$$$$ Toolmanmike

I have been looking also. No one makes one as far as I know. I've been searching for years. I talked to my local ClutchMasters guy and he said he could juice up my stock clutch with kevlar disk and heavier springs in the pressure plate for more clamping force. I am looking for a 9 1/2" clutch. (different application) Not much bigger but the biggest that will fit. Check out these posts. http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=75597&highlight=clutch
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=71132&highlight=clutch

basically that's what I did......

You can find guys that reline them as well. I have a guy that relines all my brake shoes and pads that are obsolete.

For street use, the slant 6 Van 10 1/4" clutch assembly works just fine. You have to use allen head bolts for clearence but other than that it's a straight bolt-in. I have a local clutch rebuilder make mine a bit stronger than stock by installing heavier springs into the pressure plate. If you're going to flog the thing on the track, you'll have to bit the bullet and get a race only unit.

Thanks, Mark

-
Back