"No Budget" 1966 Valiant 100 straight axle GASSER

-
Since no one makes a REAR fiberglass bumper for a '66-Valiant, we'll make our own.. This fiberglass bumper cover is off the front of a late 80's ford truck... I figure with a whole lot of trimming, narrowing, resin and cloth we can make it look almost like a stock '66 bumper...

Looking good greenhornet!! Insanely clever use of a 55 gallon drum. I woulda never thought to use one for a transmission tunnel! Btw, Lovin the weiand tunnel ram in that pic. sweetness dude

Looking good greenhornet!! Insanely clever use of a 55 gallon drum. I woulda never thought to use one for a transmission tunnel! Btw, Lovin the weiand tunnel ram in that pic. sweetness dude

Thanks bro... Everything is going to be easily maintained.. I'm not gonna do battle with bellhousing bolts on this build everytime I need to pull the engine or tranny, when you start dropping some trannys and pullin' engines you'll totally understand my concept on the tranny tunnel... "ACCESS BABY"!!!!

Thanks bro... Everything is going to be easily maintained.. I'm not gonna do battle with bellhousing bolts on this build everytime I need to pull the engine or tranny, when you start dropping some trannys and pullin' engines you'll totally understand my concept on the tranny tunnel... "ACCESS BABY"!!!!
Try replacing the clutch on a Volvo turbo clunker. That was a nightmare. Took 3 hours to get it off

I know what you mean, took me over 5-hours to get the clutch, pressure plate,throw out bearing and flywheel out of a '92 S-10 4WD 4.3 truck, I gained a little access room on the Valiant compaired to factory firewall...

!Bu47-IQCWk~$(KGrHqYOKiwEvP(++plnBMCQhqPEPg~~_12.JPG

3 minutes with a sawz-all and it's already starting to look like a rear bumper, bet y'all thought I was nuts on page 9 didn't ya ??? ;)

It will take "a lot" of work, but it'll look like it came on the Valiant when I'm finished, whats the odds that two '66-Valiant gassers are going to be parked side by side anywhere ???

It cools the fuel before it gets to the carb, cool fuel burns better...

Yeah, and make sure you put a strap on the lid. I learned the hard way, launched it, and it was like I was on ice, because I was. :) I was fortunate not to lose it and damage anything.

Very nice build, just read the whole thread! Can't wait to see its continued progress. The lines on that bumper go perfectly with the car.

Yeah, and make sure you put a strap on the lid. I learned the hard way, launched it, and it was like I was on ice, because I was. :) I was fortunate not to lose it and damage anything.

Very nice build, just read the whole thread! Can't wait to see its continued progress. The lines on that bumper go perfectly with the car.

Thanks HemiEd,
This is a fun build, and it's still on "No Budget", every part I've bought so far is from ebayin' parts that I had no money in.. I got the tunnel ram by ebayin' a pair of '73 disc brake spindles and upper A-arms that I pulled off at the scrap yard for free.. Old parts I've had for years, good trades, ebay, scrap yards and good friends like memike is helping me build this gasser one part at a time ;)

It having no floorboard really slowed me down...

Thanks HemiEd,
This is a fun build, and it's still on "No Budget", every part I've bought so far is from ebayin' parts that I had no money in.. I got the tunnel ram by ebayin' a pair of '73 disc brake spindles and upper A-arms that I pulled off at the scrap yard for free.. Old parts I've had for years, good trades, ebay, scrap yards and good friends like memike is helping me build this gasser one part at a time ;)

It having no floorboard really slowed me down...

I have to laugh at myself, the first few times I saw this thread, I didn't open it. I mistakenly thought it was an "unlimited budget build," so once I opened it, it was much more fun to read.

The way you are doing it is so much more fun. Just like that bumper, people will be copying that move now, but with an unlimited budget, you probably wouldn't have used that bumper.

Almost forgot this score, the official gasser key ring---- I had this custom made and imported from Bangladesh.... Yeah rite, found it in a junk car ;)

hey, if you find another 73+ disc brake setup, let me know! lol, Yeah, that does look alot more spacious then the stock tunnel which looks like a cramped mess. I think that bumper will definately look factory when you are done with it, btw, nice key chain, looks just like the one the dahli llama showed me last year for his 1971 Plymouth Duster R/T

I have to laugh at myself, the first few times I saw this thread, I didn't open it. I mistakenly thought it was an "unlimited budget build," so once I opened it, it was much more fun to read.

The way you are doing it is so much more fun. Just like that bumper, people will be copying that move now, but with an unlimited budget, you probably wouldn't have used that bumper.

This is a 100% "scrapper build"... I'll work on that bumper on rainy days.. I need to figure out exactly where the center line of the straight axle will be so I can move the front fender wheel well openings forward, I hate that chop out the front of the wheel well look, I want to keep the factory lines and look.. I can move the front wheels forward atleast 8"....

I know what you mean, took me over 5-hours to get the clutch, pressure plate,throw out bearing and flywheel out of a '92 S-10 4WD 4.3 truck, I gained a little access room on the Valiant compaired to factory firewall...

!Bu47-IQCWk~$(KGrHqYOKiwEvP(++plnBMCQhqPEPg~~_12.JPG
:cheers: That will work :cheers: good job Hornet :happy10:
are you going to take the middle out of the bumper or rework the ends 8)

I use to love digging around and in old car's at junk yard's =P~
ain't no telling what you will find :happy10:

:cheers: That will work :cheers: good job Hornet :happy10:
are you going to take the middle out of the bumper or rework the ends 8)

I use to love digging around and in old car's at junk yard's =P~
ain't no telling what you will find :happy10:

Thanks memike (a.k.a. Official gasser mascot) ;)

I'm gonna work off the center of the bumper, chop both ends off, bring them in, then work the ends to match the quarter panel factory bumper lines, I sat the stock Valiant bumper inside the fiberglass one, It'll work out great, I'll try and get a pic....

Keep in mind that this stock Valiant bumper has a big dent bow in it right around the tag area (it's warped)...

hey, if you find another 73+ disc brake setup, let me know! lol, Yeah, that does look alot more spacious then the stock tunnel which looks like a cramped mess. I think that bumper will definately look factory when you are done with it, btw, nice key chain, looks just like the one the dahli llama showed me last year for his 1971 Plymouth Duster R/T

I offered the spindles and A-arms on here for TRADE, no one must have had any parts that I need, wasn't any intrest----ebayed... As for the dahli llama--------- uh------- never heared of him, plus I have 4 different alibi's for when his got gone.....

Gotta B&M shifter and new cable, my cousin hooked me up with this.. I think it was guilt for hauling off my A-100 bucket seats.... I should have a few ole' school aluminum shifter handles in my parts building for it...

Even if I had any money to throw at it, I'd still build it the way I'm building it... I'll never be in over my head with it, It's not a show car or 100-point restoration and it doesnt have a deadline... I'm building it to enjoy it...

Yo DarTT----------------- Call off the HIT on the neighbors paper box---- ABORT MISSION !!!!!!------- unless you already have one..... I found some metal in my parts building to make a scoop out of...

Yo DarTT----------------- Call off the HIT on the neighbors paper box---- ABORT MISSION !!!!!!------- unless you already have one..... I found some metal in my parts building to make a scoop out of...
Sounds better as I left it at my dads and my stepmom trashed it:thebirdm:

Btw, I get to freshen up an engine tomorrow down at the local shop!! Too bad its a chevy :bootysha:

Sounds better as I left it at my dads and my stepmom trashed it8)

Btw, I get to freshen up an engine tomorrow down at the local shop!! Too bad its a chevy 8)

That will be good pratice for ya... Small block chevys and small block mopars are a lot alike, ya distributor is in the back and a B!tch to get to and ya gotta drop your oil pan to get to the oil pump--- ahhhhhhhhh-------------------- gotta love these BIG BLOCKS!!!! :love7:

This is a 100% "scrapper build"... I'll work on that bumper on rainy days.. I need to figure out exactly where the center line of the straight axle will be so I can move the front fender wheel well openings forward, I hate that chop out the front of the wheel well look, I want to keep the factory lines and look.. I can move the front wheels forward atleast 8"....

I agree, that will be key to making it look it's best.

That will be good pratice for ya... Small block chevys and small block mopars are a lot alike, ya distributor is in the back and a B!tch to get to and ya gotta drop your oil pan to get to the oil pump--- ahhhhhhhhh-------------------- gotta love these BIG BLOCKS!!!! :love7:

Coolness!!! :cheers:

Sorry, just not very fond that she got a wild hair to trash alot of stuff

Coolness!!! :cheers:

Sorry, just not very fond that she got a wild hair to trash alot of stuff

I'd be p!$$ed to... My 1st wife was the worlds worse for that.. Did you let her know that you risked life an limb and a police record for that paper box???? That one would be hard to explain if the cops pulled up--- uh---- yeah officer-- uh---- ;) ... That wouldnt be as bad as my nephew though, he got busted on private property fishing in a pond, that was beside a RIVER ---- whats wrong with that picture????

-
Back