"No Budget" 1966 Valiant 100 straight axle GASSER

-
I know these are not A bodies but my good friend and member here BULL1TT is building a couple cool cars......... He lets me hand him a wrench every once in a while! We call this one Judy....after Judy Lilly of course

Those are two sweet projects!!! I've been researching the crap out of straight axle builds... A couple of things I've learned is never re-arch the springs and don't use long shackles, reading an article last night about when a chute deployes at about 160 a straight axle car wants to hit the guardrail, mine wont be going 160 but that guardrail part is something to think about ;)

I know these are not A bodies but my good friend and member here BULL1TT is building a couple cool cars......... He lets me hand him a wrench every once in a while! We call this one Judy....after Judy Lilly of course

Those are two sweet projects!!! I've been researching the crap out of straight axle builds... A couple of things I've learned is never re-arch the springs and don't use long shackles, reading an article last night about when a chute deployes at about 160 a straight axle car wants to hit the guardrail, mine wont be going 160 but that guardrail part is something to think about ;)

That is scary! I cant wait to see the build come together............ I'm impatient, what can i say! :toothy10:

Heres a cool gasser..........

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7x68ZHe0hM4"]YouTube - 55 Chevy Gasser Shakey Puddin on Pass Time[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rM_bWwQ0asE"]YouTube - gasser dodge dart DARTATTAK VTS 01 1[/ame]

It's a slow car **** day today... I did spend a few minutes on it.. Grabed me a "portable garage floor" out of the dollar store box dumpster yesterday.. Bolts on the rear were givein' my 1/2" Ingersoll a hard time so I whacked those b!t<hes, don't have all day to screw with em'... Rear is out, next is mini-tubbin'....

What size is that rear end Hornet, could it be a sure grip ??

What size is that rear end Hornet, could it be a sure grip ??

Guess it's a 7-1/4"... Havent check it for a sure grip, probably a 2-something crapper, looking on the factory window sticker I don't see any special rear option...

Is this a V8 car ? it could be a sure grip , if so a good selling part to your mascot :-D

Is this a V8 car ? it could be a sure grip , if so a good selling part to your mascot :-D

She was a stripped down slant-6 edition memike....

Hows these on the COOL FACTOR scale???

IMG_0541.jpg

IMG_0518.jpg

DSC_0004_1.jpg

My first hotrods were '55 Chevys. I had 6 of them and I also had 3 '57 Chevys which one of them was a straight axle gasser with the firewall moved back about 8 inches. My car when I was a senior in high school was a Z16 Chevelle (with a 283 3 speed in it, the original drivetrain was gone).

I think that the guy that owns the '55 in the video works where I do. I am going to look him up at work. I would like to see his car in person. If I do I am going to get a lot of pics.

I am building a 500" '63 Dart and may put a straight axle on it. My daily driver is a '63 Dart with a Comp solid lifter 360 in it.

Mike

Now more project ****... Undercoating is like concrete, ground it off with my cut off wheel, $3.50 harbor freight spot weld cutter worked like a charm, sawz-all blade was wrapped as crap, I'm embarrased of the back cut, I'll fix it when I weld them back in, I guess this is the easy part of the mini-tubbin'...

WooHoo minitub!Oh the memories LOL.I went to the metal supermarket and had them cut 3 strips 48x3 inches(1 extra just incase)this made it alot easier to work with and they cut it for free:-DHere,s a pic of mine.Keep up the good work GH.:cheers:

I'm all over its monkey-azz pettyblu ;)

I'm gonna have to settle on bronco hood for the metal, less work takes all the FUN out of it (yeah rite)...

She was a stripped down slant-6 edition memike....

Hows these on the COOL FACTOR scale???

IMG_0541.jpg

IMG_0518.jpg

DSC_0004_1.jpg
this is our baby, no hemi, but she might get a straight axle over winter...
406, 680hp 4speed, pulls the wheels in 1st 2nd and 3rd:happy10:

-
Back