No Dash Lights 69 'Cuda

-

pa karp

Reaction score
I have hi/low beams, tail lights, brake lights and turn signals, but no dash lights in my 69 'Cuda.

All the fuses look good. I did find one wire hanging under the dash, but could not find where it goes.

Any suggestions as to where I should be looking?

Thanks,

Curt Rees:burnout:

You should have 1 fuse that doesn't show power on either end until the headlight switch is pulled at least to park lamp position. That would show power at both ends of that fuse.

Check for power at the fuse block on both sides of the fuse. The dash lights usually have an orange wire and make sure that you have the headlight switch on so there should be power to the dash lights.

I use the orange wire to splice in the lights for the aftermarket gauges. There is also an orange wire going to the radio connection for the light on the factory radio. FYI.

Also check the connector at the headlight harness. Sometimes the terminals get loose and loose the connection. You may have to put it on tighter if it came loose. The wire may be loose in the connector, just put it on the terminal by hand if it is.

Also, check for working tail lights and break lights. If the rear lights are out, the dash lights go out with them.

There is a ground wire for the instrument cluster. You might want to check that it is attached. Maybe that's the wire you found.

You should have 1 fuse that doesn't show power on either end until the headlight switch is pulled at least to park lamp position. That would show power at both ends of that fuse.

There are several things that need to be in place

The tail light circuit fuse has to be good as this is what provides dash light power TO the light switch.

Dash light power goes THROUGH the dimmer control so it must be working and "twisted to the left."

Power THEN goes to the dash light fuse, so it won't have power unless you have the light switch in park or head, and the tail fuse good, and the dimmer control "to the left."

After going through the fuse, all dash lights then feed off this fuse on orange wiring.

The unconnected wire is green in color. I will look this evening and see if I can find were it goes.

I have turn signal lights front and back and in the dash. All exterior lights work, ie headlights, tail lights and brake lights. I replaced the dimmer switch and that functions as well.

My dome light does not work either. If I remember correctly, that comes on when the light switch is turned completely to the left, correct me if I am wrong.

I have not had time yet to check the bulbs in the dash, but I would not think all would be burned out. A connection or bad switch looks like a more plausable problem.

Thanks,

Curt Rees

Curt ,

See if this helps.

Open the PDF and go to the dash wiring page and click the eyeballs on the left to turn off all layers but Components, Connectors, Dash outline, Instrument lamps and wire text.

You will see that the tan wire from the HL switch feeds 12v to the instrument fuse then the output of the fuse feeds all the orange instrument lamp circuits wires.

The pink B2 feed to the switch supplies the 12v from the tail and stoplight fuse. You can see this if you turn the tail stop turn signal layer back on by clicking the eyeball again.

I will replace the fuse tonight and see what happens.

Thanks

Curt:burnout:

Replaced the fuses, no change. I found were the green wire went, no change.

In tracing the green wire, I did find a black ground wire that was not connected. It is coming from the fuse box, but I did not have time over the noon hour to trace were it should be going.

One of the dash lights is hanging down under the dash. My 250 pound frame is having a tough time, along with bad eye sight, of getting into position to see up under the dash as to where things should go.

I will try again tonight.

Start with the things that are easy to get to. Check that you DO have power at the dash light fuse. Once again for this to have power you must:

Have the headlight switch in park, and the park / tail lights must be working

The dimmer switch must be twisted to the left (brighter)

Should be power at both ends of the fuse.

I'm to the point, physically that if I need to get under the dash, I pull at least one front seat

As 67dart273 said, do yourself a favor and pull the front seat...once you get under there you will probably find other things needin' tendin' to. I had Dads front seat in and out about a dozen times!! No lie

Replaced the fuses, no change. I found were the green wire went, no change.

In tracing the green wire, I did find a black ground wire that was not connected. It is coming from the fuse box, but I did not have time over the noon hour to trace were it should be going.

One of the dash lights is hanging down under the dash. My 250 pound frame is having a tough time, along with bad eye sight, of getting into position to see up under the dash as to where things should go.

I will try again tonight.

Those lamps in the instrument cluster don't have wires to hang from.
A lamp hanging under a rally dash can only be a courtesy lamp or reverse indicator lamp.
I wont attempt working from under the dash. I wont take a seat out once. I remove the instrument panel. I take it to the workbench, service all of it at once and go happy moparing for years to come.

i was gonna say "what dash light wires?" lol
My dash lights keep turning on and off, and thats mostly when i hit a bump, so im betting its a loose wire, and today, i found one of my sockets laying on the floor, so time to take the dash out and give it a good going through.

I would try feeling around under the dash for more loose wires and have the switch on in case you wiggle something and get them to come on for a sec. just make sure to check the plug connectors to make sure there not loose.

I won't get to work on the car until this week end. I will post progress.

You have to forgive me, I am and old GM man that has "saw the light" for the 2nd time....

Curt Rees

i was gonna say "what dash light wires?" lol
My dash lights keep turning on and off, and thats mostly when i hit a bump, so im betting its a loose wire, and today, i found one of my sockets laying on the floor, so time to take the dash out and give it a good going through.

I would try feeling around under the dash for more loose wires and have the switch on in case you wiggle something and get them to come on for a sec. just make sure to check the plug connectors to make sure there not loose.

That could be just in the dash lights like loosing chassis ground at the panel but... If the root of the problem goes all the way back to the park lamp fuse, you might have exterior lighting blinking on and off too.
That's fine for turn signals lonely LOL
would be best to start your own thread , state what car your is, etc..
Good luck

'Cuda is going to a local MOPAR guru next week, Goob will figure it out. He is going to check all wiring before I fire her up. Best do it right! Curt Rees

Having the same problem with my 68 barracuda. Dash lights would only work at one specific location in the dimmer setting for a couple seasons and now they did their final blink and now don't work at all. I'm wondering if there is corrosion or a loose wire that finally came all the way loose. when I remove the fuse box and massage the wiring harness behind the switch, the headlights blink. I'm guessing everything could use a once over and re-tightening. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

I would say you are "in the zone"

Make sure the tail / park lights are working, as dash light power comes from that fuse

Most likely is a bad dimmer control, or connections at the tan wire coming off the switch. That tan wire feeds power OUT of the dimmer control TO the dash fuse, through the dash (instrument) fuse and then distributes out to all dimmer controlled lamps on orange wires.

Make sure that it's not a loose connection right there in the fuse panel, as well

Having the same problem with my 68 barracuda. Dash lights would only work at one specific location in the dimmer setting for a couple seasons and now they did their final blink and now don't work at all. I'm wondering if there is corrosion or a loose wire that finally came all the way loose. when I remove the fuse box and massage the wiring harness behind the switch, the headlights blink. I'm guessing everything could use a once over and re-tightening. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

OK The condition you've described isn't normal. I suspect you'll find the harness connector on your headlight switch is melted. That's somewhat typical.
At least you have found removing the one screw from the fuse box get much needed access. Please disconnect the battery cable first.
Pull the headlight switch full on. Reach in on the right side of the switch body and feel for a small round headed metal button. Its the stem release. Push it in and pull the stem the rest of the way out.
The switch has a bezel nut holding it in the dash. There is a small tang that engages with the dash so the switch doesn't turn with the nut. There is a little wiggle room so you can rock the switch from behind while pushing the nut counter clockwise. Once the bezel nut is removed the switch will partially fall out of the dash by the fuse box with its harness connector still attached. Have a close look at switch and connector. You may need to replace both.

-
Back