No Dash Vin

-

4spd340Swinger

Reaction score
Wanting to get some opinions on this. I found a 1969 Dart with a LM23P fender tag. The tag also matches the core support and the left rear 1/4 panel. However, the dash is missing and the owner is selling as a parts car. No title. He does have a dash that is an LM23P but it does not match that he said was in the car. It is actually in pretty decent shape. Is there anyway to get a new VIN tag? I am in Ohio and the car is in KY. Thanks!!!

I would imagine that is a state by state case, need to find out what Ohio Dept of Motor Vehicle has to say.
Hope it works out for you.
Joe

In this state that would be a lengthy uphill battle, even assuming the car isn't stolen or some other complication, like "a loan company has paper" So you had better get this CHEAP because it is going to cost you a lot of time and money, with no guaranteed outcome

If you have the fender tag, and the matching broadcast sheet. Theres places that can make you a vin tag.

Personally, I would pass on any car where the original VIN tag was missing but that’s just me. I have even passed on cars that were missing the fender tags.

I think KY will give you a new title...might ask the seller

I bought a 52 Pontiac in TN and we went to the courthouse and got a new title.

Many states have bonded titles...my F350 has one. I believe my three year waiting period is almost up so I can get a regular title

Here in Mich... at the Secretary of State, all they ask for is the VIN on the
dash, make and model, and maybe a bill of sale and they put the information
in there computer, and you wait one hour, and they tell you if its good or stolen.
Of course, you maybe in some hot water if comes back stolen. Never had an
issue throughout the years..and they do no require a police officer to visit.
It's just the state wants/needs the money, that's probably why we have
permanent trailer plates here in the state. There are tons of all kinds of
trailers here, because of all the Great Lakes.

Every state has an application available for a state issued VIN.

That is the only legal way, because counterfeit VIN tag possession can lead to confiscation of the car and jail time.

Regardless the collector value is diminished. Unless you can document this a potential buyer may well shy away

It is a state to state deal. There are ways to do it in most if not all states, but the actual process and what is required is different depending on where you are.

With the fender tag and matching body numbers you would likely be able to title the car here in California without too much trouble, but they'd almost undoubtedly issue you a new state assigned VIN that would then be riveted to the car. What they do in Ohio, I don't know. And as Del said it would likely hurt resale a little, but that depends on the car. A concourse restoration would be hurt a lot by that, a driver quality car not as much as long as you get a title of some kind.

You can go through a title service for the title. The missing vin plate would be a deal breaker for me. At minimum you would want to run the vin number before buying. Its possible someone swapped the vin plate and used the title to register another vehicle.

Pretty much every state you will first need a title in your name before you can get the state to do an inspection and issue a state VIN plate...

In Michigan if you don't have a title to a car purchased for under $2500. You can have a licensed auto sales man appraise it. If that appraisal says it's under $2500 you can fill out a form at the Secretary of State and apply for the title. If they don't find a recent registered owner, or prior title they will issue a title with your bill of sale and appraisal. You would have to locate a VIN# somewhere else to fill out the forms.

If you paid more than, or the appraisal is more than $2500... you're screwed. They assume you stole the car and are running a scam. Wait for the State Police to come arrest you.

The process to get a replacement TITLE may differ from state to state but there is NO legal way to get a replacement VIN tag, that is a federal crime.

As said you can get a state issued VIN tag, it will look different and have a different number.

There are companies out there making replacement VIN tags, your call.

Alan

Any replacement vin will probably have "salvage" attached to it forever. Yes these laws vary widely state to state so its up to you to research the laws in your state.

Any replacement vin will probably have "salvage" attached to it forever. Yes these laws vary widely state to state so its up to you to research the laws in your state.

Not necessarily. As you said it probably varies state to state, but I have a car with a California replacement VIN that does not have a salvage title. It's an earlier vehicle that didn't have a VIN, the DMV inspector noted that the identification plate had been removed for the painting process (it was held on by standard screws from the factory, again, this is pre-VIN) and because the ID plate had been removed it was given a California VIN. Anal retentive on the inspectors part since most pre-VIN cars have removable ID plates and many didn't have frame stampings, but whatever.

At any rate, my point is that since he has several matching VIN stampings for the car to prove it's the same car it's not likely to get a salvage or reconstructed title, just a replacement state issued VIN. But yeah, check the local laws because that absolutely depends on where it is.

I've heard for years that some specific companies will make a replacement VIN tag for legitimate cars, but have always wondered if that's not just an urban legend. Who are they, and has anyone had to use them? What do you need to supply them as far as documentation? I've been fortunate to never need those services, but the info may help others.

The worst I've ever had to deal with was a VIN typo on a title. I asked the DMV inspector to come by and do a correction for me.....and, BOOM.....done! Got it fixed and moved on.

-
Back