No fuel being pumped

-

Meangreen440

Reaction score
Sorry in advance for a probable simple Dilema. I am military and just got back to Hawaii from a six month deployment. My car (a 440 Duster) has been sitting in the garage covered the entire time. I cannot start it or get my fuel pump to pump gas. This is the basic stuff I have checked so far:
1. Verified Fuel is in the tank.
2. I checked the fuel filter and it is not clogged.
3. Disconnected hose prior to carbs and cranked it over with no fuel being pumped.
4. Disconnected inlet hose to fuel pump (Edelbrock mechanical) and ran hose to a gas tank with a different hose to seperate portable gas tank.

I was unable to get flow or any gas to pump when cranking the engine. Is there something I can do to mechanically agitate the pump, Is it a bad pump, stuck pump or am I missing something? I appreciate the help. I'm a weekend mechanic and love to fix things myself (with periodic assistance)

It's possible the pump failed somehow. Also possible that the fuel gummed, etc in the pump and "stuck" the pump valves. You might rig some sort of pressure source so you can force a little through the pump with the lines disconnected, then crank the engine and look for vacuum on the inlet.

In other words I'd get "right to" the pump, IE disconnect both lines and see what you have there.

Thanks 67Dart273, I will check it in the morning. I will disconnect it and check it out, If it is gummed up I have to replace it correct? Im obviously trying to avoid removal of the pump, not much room to work with in the engine. Im frustrated...want to hit it with a hammer. Any other possibilities or thoughts?

I always used to disconnect the battery an pull the alternator---the extra 2 minutes work made getting "down there" to the pump SO much easier.

All I ever did was to get my finger in there under the pushrod and bump the engine around until the pushrod was "up." Seems to me that if the rod falls clear down, it is a little trouble to get it up. Hell, it's been 30 years since I pulled an RB pump.

If the pump is gummed up I'd replace it.

I would get about 6 feet of 5/16 hose and a can of fresh gas, attached right at the pump.
If it will pull gas from the can and run the engine your problem is in the line going all the way back to the tank.
The pumps lever can stick in the down position but that is rare. When replacing the pump, removing the alt' lower adjust bolt and rotating it 180 degree up does help see what you' re working on. Rotating the engine so the pump ecentric is at it up position lessens the resistance and chance that you will cross thread one of its mounting holes.

The AirTec pumps from part stores are juck. Rockauto.com has Carter OEM pumps for a few dollar more.

Might take a look at the rubber line between the sending unit and the steel line also.
If there is a problem like cracking of the rubber, it might just be sucking air.

"I would get about 6 feet of 5/16 hose and a can of fresh gas, attached right at the pump.
If it will pull gas from the can and run the engine your problem is in the line going all the way back to the tank."

I did this with no gas being pumped. which is why it makes me think its the pump. How often do these pumps fail? its a newer Edelbrock Performer Mechanical pump, the car sat for 6 months. I appreciate the Tech support from everyone.

I'm guessing the gas in it turned to junk and clogged it up. If so it would be in the carb too.

So I removed the Pump last night and didn't see any visual indications of it being all gunked up. Is there a way to test it now that I have it sittin on my bench?. Also, how do I get the fuel pump rod out. It didn't fall out when I removed the pump, how far up is it?

Sometimes, the check valves inside the pump will just get stuck closed. If you lightly blow some air through it from the "inlet" side, it'll unstick 'em.

So I removed the Pump last night and didn't see any visual indications of it being all gunked up. Is there a way to test it now that I have it sittin on my bench?. Also, how do I get the fuel pump rod out. It didn't fall out when I removed the pump, how far up is it?

You should be able to test it by hand enough to see if it will pump. Just put one finger / thumb over the outlet and work the lever. It should forcibly suck your finger up against the inlet. You can also "rig" a tube to the inlet, into a DO THIS SAFELY can of water/ gas/ other thin liquid and work the pump by had. It should suck the liquid right up and spit it out forcibly.

Push the plunger down all the way on the pump arm.
Stick you finger over the inlet fitting.
Release the pump arm, if sucks your finger in and the pump arm does not move, your pump is good.

My guess is todays crap gas has your fuel system clogged.

There isn't a connecting rod between the pump and ecentric in this engine.
Pump lever goes all the way to the ecentric

There isn't a connecting rod between the pump and ecentric in this engine.
Pump lever goes all the way to the ecentric

Didn't he say this is a 440? B/ RB engines do use a pushrod. Maybe a misprint, maybe a THREE 40 Duster.

SB engines do not use a pushrod

No it's a 440, found the rod. Got a buddies extra pump, going to put it on and test it out. What a pain to get this guy back on (fat fingers). the Edelbrock I removed, I opened up and everything seems fine. I'm going to test it as recommended above with air and working the lever. Maybe it's stuck, Thanks for the help and recommendations.

Thanks for all the help and recommendations. I swapped the pump, reconnected the fuel lines and she fired right up. So it wasn't the carbs, fuel lines, or tank which is a relief. I currently have a Carter pump a buddy loaned me till my Summit parts arrive tomorrow. A few more tweaks and checks left, Almost ready to hit the streets again!

-
Back