No kickdown linkage?

-

Shainesboostin

Reaction score
As some may know, I am new here. Just bought a 70 dart, smallblock car. Plan on a magnum swap in near future. However, I'm new to all of this. I realized the car dosent have kickdown linkage at all. Saw a thread saying this is very bad on the trans. Does this mean if I take off in D (drive) the car is actually in 3rd gear? Can I just manually shift it without the kickdown? Educate me please. And yes, I've searched. Came up with conflicting views.

However, the more I read, sounds like.it's gonna burn the trans up. As of now, seems to drive fine as is. If this isn't ok, I have no idea what's going to need done. Kickdown sounds like a nightmare.to deal with. Starting to miss electronically controlled shifts already. Ugh

Would rather just discuss. Here's the car as well...

38291.jpeg

Last edited:
Kick down controls the line pressure and a lack of it will burn your trans in short order . Use either a full manual valve body which doesn't need a kick down or add a lokar after market set up. For now you could temporarliy wire the kick down all the way back.

O boy. Been researching more. Looks like a manual valve body would be best. Im.not even sure what to look for on the trans. This is my first Mopar.

Most A&A auto parts stores carry the lokar cable kits, there not real cheap but they work better then factory ones.

Ive had mine on about 6 years with no problems, but its your dollar.

there are no issues with using a lokar cable, it just needs to be properly adjusted (which, if you install it right and per instructions is real simple)

I would not hesitate to suggest you use one

Most A&A auto parts stores carry the lokar cable kits, there not real cheap but they work better then factory ones.
I believe there is one in the for sale section as we speak, 60 plus shipping

let me ask you this though, how does your shifter look?
stock on the column style or aftermarket ratchet?
if there is a ratchet, you have a chance there is a full manual valve body in there (but if the car shifts on its own, there is NOT)

My car is on the column. No.shift kick. Not sure of where to buy a full manual valve body. Looks like alot of options.

any good speed shop will have one
of course, there is no point in working on the 727 or 904 is your going to replace it anyway

with "no shift kick" you mean it never changed gear on you?
what does it do when you shift it in first and try to take off?

can we get a pic of the engine bay to see what is going on?

I've only driven it maybe 5 miles upon buying it. Just bought it this weekend. It drove ok in just Drive, I romped on it a couple times from 1st, and manually shifted it to 2nd and drive.

how did you figure out the kickdown was missing?
did the seller disclose that or did someone point it out to you?

Bought it in Texas. I drove from Nebraska. He didn't disclose that. He had just got the car from a buddy. He's a chebby guy and didn't know alot about the car. It was rust free so I bought it. Started.tinkering with it and remember from.working on my dads Mopar something about kickdown linkage. Although I know nothing about it, I somewhat get the concept. I bought a intake manifold, and other odds and ends for the car and noticed there was no linkage going to the trans, so questioned it. Realizing it has no kickdown.

Saw you on Facebook and on here too. Hey there!

Heck at this point we don't even know if anything required is missing or not.
Pictures at the drivers side of the engine and down the firewall behind the motor and pics at the trans linkage on the trans itself and we might find out something.

Beat me to it. :D
If it shifts 1-2-3 automatic then it would pretty much require the TP assy.
It shifts up through the gears automatically real fast and early right?

I have to agree with the cable recommendation because finding and putting the right parts on that are going to be a PIA.
Especially since it would all change when you change motors anyway.

See if the top of the two levers is on the trans also, as you will need that even for the cable setup.

Last edited:
Heck at this point we don't even know if anything required is missing or not.
Pictures at the drivers side of the engine and down the firewall behind the motor and pics at the trans linkage on the trans itself and we might find out something.
Posting lag got ya. Kickdown linkage MIA.

Why can't you just run the kickdown lever all the way back? So it's full pressure all the time? How is this different than a manual valve body? On other racecars electronically shifted via solenoids, you WANT full line pressure. Helps longevity of the trans. No slipping. Ect.

It won't upshift. A manual valve body overrides that. It's either kickdown properly adjusted or a manual valve body.

Why can't you just run the kickdown lever all the way back? So it's full pressure all the time? How is this different than a manual valve body? On other racecars electronically shifted via solenoids, you WANT full line pressure. Helps longevity of the trans. No slipping. Ect.

It would shift 1-2 at 4k even at light throttle, and may not ever get third till 90. :D
A bit of an exaggeration but not by much.
Half way is fairly safe as long as you don't get on it.

You don't have to get lokar cable or do without as there are plenty around ebay for 20 bucks or so.
Ok, 26 :D
I have this exact one from these people and it is built well and works great.
GearHead Chrysler Chrysler 904 Transmission Kickdown Cable Kit Flexible New | eBay

It won't upshift. A manual valve body overrides that. It's either kickdown properly adjusted or a manual valve body.
It won't? Wierd. Sorry if that was a dumb queation. Just in my other newer race cars, we just run full line pressure all the time and it's better for the trans. Now I gotta debate between a cable or valve body. Better make sure it is a 727 and not a 904.

Do you know what trans you have? I have a few factory sets for 904 trans

You don't have to get lokar cable or do without as there are plenty around ebay for 20 bucks or so.
Ok, 26 :D
I have this exact one from these people and it is built well and works great.
GearHead Chrysler Chrysler 904 Transmission Kickdown Cable Kit Flexible New | eBay
You must have had better luck then I
I ran thier throttle cable for a while and quality failed me rather quickly
The stud that mounted to the carb stripped it's threads, the cable actually cut a groove in the ferrule it ran through and eventually the cable ended up fraying and breaking

-
Back