No oil flow mystery

-

Blackhatguy

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Helping a buddy try to get his wife's car running, and we've run into a bit of a problem.

1964 barracuda, slant 6, 1965 block with 1975 head. Just had the engine built by matco in Texas and we installed it today. Got everything buttoned up, go to crank it for break-in and we get no oil pressure, or flow to the top end.

Took off the oil filter and started the car and it shot oil to the firewall, but put the filter back on and back to no flow.

There was a plug in a lower part of the block that was missing, we put that in before we installed the car. That being said however if they missed that one in the build I would not be surprised if they missed others, but there is no oil leak anywhere so maybe an internal plug missing?

Anyone happen to have a few ideas for me to check out?

So you have oil at the filter, but no oil pressure on the gauge?

Does it have a tube on the oil pump up through the oil filter? Check that the filter is not blocking the end of the tube. Some oil pumps have the tube and some don't. Some filters are short inside and block the end of the tube. Just ran into this on a slant. Installed a tall Napa Gold filter and all is well.

Does it have a tube on the oil pump up through the oil filter? Check that the filter is not blocking the end of the tube. Some oil pumps have the tube and some don't. Some filters are short inside and block the end of the tube. Just ran into this on a slant. Installed a tall Napa Gold filter and all is well.
Thank you for the idea, I went and double-checked. It just has the short nub with the threads on it

So you have oil at the filter, but no oil pressure on the gauge?
That is correct. We packed the pump with Vaseline and crank it over with no filter just to verify visually that it primed and got flow. After we cleaned up the mess we refilled the filter and put it on, crank again and get no oil pressure. Push the valve cover off to get visual on the valve train and no flow to the top end could be seen. Put an air hose to the oil gauge to verify that it indeed does work just to be sure it wasn't the faulty gauge reading no pressure. Even if it was a faulty gauge though, I'm still left with no oil flow in the engine. Oil pickup is installed, no cracks or holes in it, just under 1/4 of an inch clearance from screen to oil pan..

That is correct. We packed the pump with Vaseline and crank it over with no filter just to verify visually that it primed and got flow. After we cleaned up the mess we refilled the filter and put it on, crank again and get no oil pressure. Push the valve cover off to get visual on the valve train and no flow to the top end could be seen. Put an air hose to the oil gauge to verify that it indeed does work just to be sure it wasn't the faulty gauge reading no pressure. Even if it was a faulty gauge though, I'm still left with no oil flow in the engine. Oil pickup is installed, no cracks or holes in it, just under 1/4 of an inch clearance from screen to oil pan..
Look at what post #5 says. This is the reason Chrysler cut the tubes at an angle later on. If yours is straight across, that could be what's happening.

Look at what post #5 says. This is the reason Chrysler cut the tubes at an angle later on. If yours is straight across, that could be what's happening.
I went out and checked after I saw that, sadly that isn't it this time. Would have been really nice to be that simple though!

Remove the oil pressure sender, and crank the engine (filter on). See if you get any oil flow. If no, problem is in the pump/filter area. If yes (might be reduced flow) problem is internal. The main oil gally has a threaded plug in each end. If the rear plug is left out, oil will run out the bell housing area. If the front plug is left out, the oil will stay inside the timing cover and run back into the pan.
EDIT: Did you try a different filter?

Remove the oil pressure sender, and crank the engine (filter on). See if you get any oil flow. If no, problem is in the pump/filter area. If yes (might be reduced flow) problem is internal. The main oil gally has a threaded plug in each end. If the rear plug is left out, oil will run out the bell housing area. If the front plug is left out, the oil will stay inside the timing cover and run back into the pan.
EDIT: Did you try a different filter?
We have not tried a different filter, but hearing about that second plug behind the front cover is one of the things I was hoping to hear about. If they can forget to put the back plug in they can forget to put the front one. I'll have to pull the harmonic balancer and timing cover to see

We have not tried a different filter, but hearing about that second plug behind the front cover is one of the things I was hoping to hear about. If they can forget to put the back plug in they can forget to put the front one. I'll have to pull the harmonic balancer and timing cover to see
Probably have to pull the cam sprocket to install the plug if it is missing. When you reinstall the timing cover, make sure you clean and dry the corners of the cover and pan really good, and use some sealer. The passenger side of the cover and pan junction is a pain about leaks.

Probably have to pull the cam sprocket to install the plug if it is missing. When you reinstall the timing cover, make sure you clean and dry the corners of the cover and pan really good, and use some sealer. The passenger side of the cover and pan junction is a pain about leaks.
This is the one, right?

IMG_20231022_110053_01.png

Sure the oil feed hole from the deck surface to the rear rocker pedestal isn't carbon/sludge plugged? 1st round building the "Killer6" v 1.0, when I got the head back from the machine shop, I checked that passage & it was packed solid...they "boiled/tanked" the head old-school. I caught it, 'cause I check everything, so other than annoying Me & taking up a half hour or so of My time no harm.

That will keep oil from getting to the valve train, but should still show pressure on the gauge. When you checked for oil with the filter off, how much did you get? If not a lot could be the pressure relief valve in the pump stuck open. Or with quality the way it is, today, possibly the spring was left out.

That will keep oil from getting to the valve train, but should still show pressure on the gauge. When you checked for oil with the filter off, how much did you get? If not a lot could be the pressure relief valve in the pump stuck open. Or with quality the way it is, today, possibly the spring was left out.
It did end up being the pressure relief valve in the pump! We just got frustrated and tried it with the pump off the old block, and it showed pressure so that led me to find out what the difference between those two things are and sure enough the pressure relief valve in the new pump is just floppy. Thank you all for your suggestions! Should be back in business after dinner.

Yeah, I missed the no pressure at all part, not just up top. Sadly, what You stated about quality is alarmingly true & common, also unacceptable.... oh, & I owe You PM when I get things shaped up Sir..

-
Back