No oil to top end

-

wes beem

Reaction score
got a bone stock 360 LA with a brand new oil pump in it. Running the motor absolutely no oil is coming to the top end, all the passageways appear to be clear, we blew air thru them,and we even pulled the rockers and ran it that way and still no oil came up.

Pulled oil pan and pump, put pump in a tub of oil and spun it with a drill and it flung oil everywhere like theres nothing wrong with it....what else could be causing this?

Saw a RB with a new cam that was not drilled through all the way for the oil. Same thing if you did a cam change possibly

No cam change, and when it was in the donor truck no issues.

We pulled motor, put an oil pump in, did new intake gasket cleaned lifters pushrods and rockers, and reassembled...im at a loss.

Commonly, it's incorrect rocker shaft installation, but since you pulled the rockers and still got no oil, it ain't that.
Did the galley plug above the pump get removed/reinstalled?

No cam change, and when it was in the donor truck no issues.

We pulled motor, put an oil pump in, did new intake gasket cleaned lifters pushrods and rockers, and reassembled...im at a loss.
Any chance the oil pump shift just enough? Happened to me once.

Any chance the oil pump shift just enough? Happened to me once.
Were gnna try reinstalling it. It didnt come with a gasket but apparently from what im seeing theres supposed to be one. Maybe thats it?

got a bone stock 360 LA with a brand new oil pump in it. Running the motor absolutely no oil is coming to the top end, all the passageways appear to be clear, we blew air thru them,and we even pulled the rockers and ran it that way and still no oil came up.

Pulled oil pan and pump, put pump in a tub of oil and spun it with a drill and it flung oil everywhere like theres nothing wrong with it....what else could be causing this?

Just to make sure I understand, you were running the pump with a drill?

Did you rotate the crank while running the pump? As a previous poster noted, the cam has to be in the right spots for the oil to come up to the top.

After we removed it from the motor we did. When it was installed we had the motor running.

Using a drill to run the pump in tub of oil is OK just to prime the pump. You should remove the distributor and oil pump shaft and order a hex shaft made for priming the engine and run your drill then. Remove your oil sender unit, install a mechanical gauge there to check oil pressure. When you see pressure, have your buddy turn the crankshaft dampener bolt with a breaker bar, the pressure WILL drop when you have the camshaft oil holes aligned properly, this will happen twice...for each bank.

As mentioned before, there is a side to side and front to back for the rocker arm shafts.......

As mentioned, the rocker shafts get 2 spurts of oil for every 2 crank rotations .
For every one cam rotation, you get 2 small squirts of oil, only when the cam holes line up ! !
There is no steady flow of oil to the rockers .
You have to line the holes up to get flow as mentioned in post 6.
I'm not sure of the (*degrees quoted tho) but definitely in only 1 specific location for each side .

Last edited:
If/When you break a rocker shaft, the oil pressure gauge will oscillate from high to near zero at the speed of a rocker arm, at idle .

I'm not clear on what you tried. If the rocker shafts are put on backwards they will block all oil flow to the top end.

The oiling holes in the rocker shafts point down and towards the exhaust manifolds. Forget about memorizing the notch business......But, he said no oil from the rocker shaft pedestal with the shafts removed.

Possible that a pushrod didn't seat in the rocker correctly? Pushrod coming out and allowing lifter to sling out of the bore? Engine would have ZERO oil pressure then, let alone oil to the top end.

While it was running, did it show pressure on the gauge? As Halifax mentioned above, the pump can be installed slightly cocked and there will be no pressure.

If you have oil pressure.....Cam holes need to be properly oriented. I did this today and my rockers poured oil.......

Driver side rockers get fed when balancer shows 20* after top dead center on the exhaust stroke.

Passenger side rockers get fed when balancer shows 90* before top dead center on the compression stroke.

Of course, this refers to #1 cylinder.

Hope you solve your problem.

UPDATE: installed brand new oil pump, still no oil to top end.

To re iterate more clearly, absolutely nothing on the motor was touched outside of pulling the intake, putting a timing chain in, and cleaning the rockers/lifts/pushrods, then reassembly.

No cam swap, no cam bearings ext....i dont know what to do now. Rockers are properly installed. Double and triple checked and even turned motor over without them installed at all. Not 1 single drop of oil to the top end.

Is it possible the cam was manufactured wrong, or a regrind with the holes plugged with muck??

it is a bone stock motor and before we pulled it from the donor truck it didnt have this issue :/

it is a bone stock motor and before we pulled it from the donor truck it didnt have this issue :/
Are you getting oil pressure when you turn the pump with a drill while it is installed in the engine?(You need to fab some thing to drive the oil pump with a drill while it is installed in the engine. Most of us here fashion one with an old intermediate shaft) .

Are you rotating the engine to the positions that I mentioned in post #20? Once you get to those positions, stop rotating the engine and have the drill turning the oil pump in a clockwise rotation...........The oil should flow out of the rocker shaft when you do this.

Now, if you installed the timing chain and got the cam/crank timing out of sync, then all bets are off with regards to the above mentioned balancer positions.

First things first, you have to read oil pressure at the sender position while manually turning the pump.

Another question to make sure I'm understanding. So, you took the rocker arms...shafts, bolts and all off the motor and spun the oil pump with a drill and no oil at all came from the second rocker stand from the left on either head? If that's the case, there's some serious crud stopping the oil galleys up. You should be very slowly rotating the motor (plugs out) while turning the oil pump clockwise with the drill.

-
Back