No parking lights and front side marker lights

-

Zak

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
71 Duster H code.... With headlight switch in park light position only the rear side markers and taillights illuminate. All grounds on front lights have been cleaned and are secured. Bulbs new. Swapped headlight switch after verifying grounds, but no joy. Don't have schematic.

You can download free diagrams and service manuals from MyMopar.

Free service manuals

MyMopar - Mopar Forums & Information - MyMopar Tools/Reference

From MyMopar you will want to get the Dodge manual which is only a BODY manual, but also get the PLYMOUTH manual which is a chassis manual

Actually in this case the body manual has part of what you want, the firewall forward lighting wiring is on page 138 (5-46)

In the Plymouth manual, the instrument panel wiring is page 381. What you are interested in finding out is "if" the front parking lamps are on the same circuit as the tail. Earlier cars were separated. A quick look at the switch shows "P" (Parking lights) terminal is BLANK which means they are indeed connected to the tail circuit. So if the tail lamps are working, the light switch is outputting power to the parking light feed

This means the problem is either (unlikely) right there at the switch connector where the parking and tail lamps feed off, or (more likely) the bulkhead terminal where they feed out to the front

It also could be poor grounding "out front" or, (it happens) all the bulbs are bad

Last edited:
Hope it helps post back to this thread if you need more
Del

I finally broke down and bought one of these a few years back. It's like an old 12 v test light on steroids. Once you get the hang of it, you can check power, ground, continuity etc in seconds.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KPU8MK/?tag=joeychgo-20

I would start where the forward light harness attaches to the firewall and find out if you've got power there? If no power at the firewall going forward, I would look at the turn signal switch. Mopar engineers liked to run important circuits through switches and guages for some reason??? Bad turn signal switches and connections have caused me to pull out more than one handfull of hair over the years.

Turn sig switch has nothing to do with the parking / marker lights. They are completely separate. You are right about one thing. I'd likely start at the bulkhead connector and see if it is feeding through there. The trouble could easily be RIGHT IN the bulkhead connector

Ok. After double checking all grounds (good), I focused on the bulkhead (firewall end) and low and behold the lead that provides power was ready to fall out. Re-inserted and system operational. Sometimes I get so very thorough on this stuff, I end up missing the logical. Probably looked at the bulkhead a dozen times prior. Much thanks to you all.....

-
Back