No spark MSD Blaster Coil

-

340Dart

Obsessive Dart Disorder
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Well I thought I had my no spark problem fixed. Found loose wire and fixed that. Started no problem. That was toward the end of summer. Well now same problem. No spark at plugs. My MSD ignition tests good. I pulled the coil wire and placed it close to metal surface. When I turn the key it turns over but no spark. So I left the key in the run position and watched the coil wire while I jumped it at the relay. I couldn't tell if it sparked at the coil wire when I was in the car. All I get is 1 spark at the coil wire and that's it. Are you supposed to get more than 1 spark? Is my coil going bad? My MSD Blaster coil is 21 years old. I'm not to good with electrical so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Fred B

How do you know your "MSD tests good?"

Probably the best way to check out the coil is to rig it up separate as if it were a points ignition.

Get some clip leads, coil wire, spare plug or other spark gap, and round up a condenser out of breaker point distributor. If you don't have one, you might have the one used to be on the positive side of your coil to ground for radio suppression.

Wire up the condenser/ capacitor to the NEG side of the coil to ground (battery neg.) Rig a spark gap with the coil wire to battery neg. Hook battery pos to the coil pos.

Now take a final clip lead and touch/ untouch it to battery neg. You should get a NICE big fat spark from the coil, at least 3/8 and more like 1/2" long. A hot coil will do better.

At this point, might be best to remove the distributor, rather than keep cranking the engine. With the ignition on, it should spark when you spin the distributor by hand. Mark the rotor position before pulling. On a SB or BB easy to put back (slot), Need to be careful if a slant to return to the correct gear tooth. Instead of trying to hold a gap from the coil wire, use a spark plug in the open with the electrode grounded. You should see a bright blue spark in the air. Get a multimeter and insure you get ~12 V at coil+ with ign on.

This comes up allot not saying its the same problem but the ignition 2 wire seems to go out allot on mopar for one reason or another

Have you checked the air gap on the pick up coil inside the distributor..?

Well I checked everything. Power at the coil to distributor. No power going out distributor. MSD tech told me it's a bad module. Thanks for all the help.

Fred B

-
Back