No spark

-
Didn't hook up the fuel line or something LOL didn't plug in the distributor...
Fest up...
Let’s hear it, we’re the plug wires mixed up?
I had it 180 out. I think what happened was It was right to begin with when It fired the first time and died it acted like it wanted more advance but it was maxed out so I pulled the dissy ans turned the drive gear a couple teeth and I must have put it back in backwards. I took @318willrun advanced and pulled the valve cover and set there and turned it over again and again and it looked right but felt wrong. I was looking at the valves backwards lol I was looking at the exhaust valve and timing it as the intake lol. But once I figured out which one as the intake valve I put it on the on the overlap between the intake closing and the exhaust opening and put the dissy on the #1 plug wire and it pretty much started right up. Oh yea and I went and bought a new battery. I think that helped alot with the weak spark.

I had it 180 out. I think what happened was It was right to begin with when It fired the first time and died it acted like it wanted more advance but it was maxed out so I pulled the dissy ans turned the drive gear a couple teeth and I must have put it back in backwards. I took @318willrun advanced and pulled the valve cover and set there and turned it over again and again and it looked right but felt wrong. I was looking at the valves backwards lol I was looking at the exhaust valve and timing it as the intake lol. But once I figured out which one as the intake valve I put it on the on the overlap between the intake closing and the exhaust opening and put the dissy on the #1 plug wire and it pretty much started right up. Oh yea and I went and bought a new battery. I think that helped alot with the weak spark.
Very happy for ya!!!! You gained a TON of knowledge during this fire up.

:thumbsup:

Well for whatever reason that sounded totally backwards but it worked lol I was agreeing with 318 when he suggested taking the valve cover off. Sticking your finger in the hole is kind of iffy... I take the valve cover off on the driver side and make sure both rocker arms are loose on the number one cylinder when the timing mark is on dead zero. Then I am the rotor at the number one spark plug wire and go from there. Turn it back just to take for some advance and go for it...
I'm glad you got it fired off. How did the break-in procedure go? Were you able to keep temps down?...

I did realize im gonna have to do some work on the distributor advance. As soon as it fired I got it up to around 2500 and set the total timing at 33 iirc (it in the video it may have been 30) either way after the break in was complete I let it cool off and started it back up to check the initial my initial timing was like 3 degrees. That means I'm getting like 27-30 degrees mechanical advance. I played with it some and it seems to really like 8-10 initial. I stated getting starter kickback at around 13. Its set right at 12 now man she really purrrrs

Well for whatever reason that sounded totally backwards but it worked lol I was agreeing with 318 when he suggested taking the valve cover off. Sticking your finger in the hole is kind of iffy... I take the valve cover off on the driver side and make sure both rocker arms are loose on the number one cylinder when the timing mark is on dead zero. Then I am the rotor at the number one spark plug wire and go from there. Turn it back just to take for some advance and go for it...
I'm glad you got it fired off. How did the break-in procedure go? Were you able to keep temps down?...
It went well I had to shut it down once because I forgot to put a stupid over flow hose on and it started spraying antifreeze all over everything. So I put a hose on it and put it in a bucket and fired it right back off. It got up to about 215 which is hotter than I would like but I don't think it's considered overheating. The gauge inside never got over halfway. My temp gun is where I got the 215 reading.

It went well I had to shut it down once because I forgot to put a stupid over flow hose on and it started spraying antifreeze all over everything. So I put a hose on it and put it in a bucket and fired it right back off. It got up to about 215 which is hotter than I would like but I don't think it's considered overheating. The gauge inside never got over halfway. My temp gun is where I got the 215 reading.
Won't be long now and you can answer my burnout challenge :D :D :D

Put the battery on a charger or check its charge... A lot of times it will be on full draw until the battery is charged...
I charged that battery 3 or 4 times. I went and bought a new one today. But it could still be a little low due to starting.

It was the ecu. I think I still have a draw problem tho. Because my amp gauge is maxed out while running.
Check that it is the correct polarity. Engine off, turn on headlights it should show to left.

Running, it should go to right. and check battery voltage. If it is above 15 "by much" the regulator is not in control. If it is 13-14V running "fast idle" it is simply charging hard after all the cranking

Congrats that sounds great! Perseverance wins again! Dont underestimate that maxed out amp gauge. I would get that rectified 1st thing. Unhook your battery for now just in case.

Congrats that sounds great! Perseverance wins again! Dont underestimate that maxed out amp gauge. I would get that rectified 1st thing. Unhook your battery for now just in case.
I went out and unhooked the battery a while ago. It's 32 and snowing like crazy. It fired right back up again. I'm sure the neighbors are getting pissed lol. They better get use to it is all I know. Lol

It sounds good! I hear it bumpin. lol
Yea im extremely happy with the sound it idles nice and smooth but as a nice rumble. This is just temporary exhaust Idk yet what im gonna use long term yet. Those are 20 year old thrush turbo mufflers on it now lol.

Yea im extremely happy with the sound it idles nice and smooth but as a nice rumble. This is just temporary exhaust Idk yet what im gonna use long term yet. Those are 20 year old thrush turbo mufflers on it now lol.

You need some headers. The Summit headers are nice for the money and they work well, regardless of what the haters say.

I have no spark.

Yeah, that does suck.
It could be worse though.........

Fireface.gif

If you're interested, I have a set of headers that I think are for an A body. I could post some pictures later and get some verification if you're interested.

You need some headers. The Summit headers are nice for the money and they work well, regardless of what the haters say.
If you're interested, I have a set of headers that I think are for an A body. I could post some pictures later and get some verification if you're interested.
I have some headers I chose not to use them lol. I didn't want the hassle of starter clearance and ground clearance and pita plug changes. So I went with the magnum manifolds. Plus it fits my factory original theme lol

-
Back