no start - need troubleshooting help

-

jefframin

http://www.jefframin.org
Reaction score
Hi folks.

I restored a '68 Barracuda 12 years ago. Since then, I've just been enjoying it as a weekend cruiser. It has a 340, with electronic ignition (orange box) and an Edelbrock carb.

It's been reliable as hell until this last weekend - it had been parked for a month, and will not start. It turned over, and I have gas at the carb, but no indication it is ready to start.

Is there a troubleshooting process around I can work from? Thanks!

Not aware of a specific trouble shooting process but based what you've said, you've got fuel, and the car will turnover. To me it seems like your lacking spark. I'd check all the obvious stuff first!

-ballast
- connectors and grounds to ecu, voltage reg, coil, alt, bulkhead

Just go through and make sure everything is secure and connected first then go from there!

So many things that it could be.
Based on my most recent same condition, Pull the coil wire off the coil to look for a oil leak there.

I assume I can use a timing light to check spark, as opposed to placing the plug wire next to a chunk of metal?

Pull 1 spark plug, reconnect the plug and plug wire and ground it (touching the metal side of the plug to your headers/exhaust manifold will work) while holding the insulated portion of the plug wire (so you don't zap yourself), then have someone turn the key...you should see a nice spark if it is working properly on every revolution of the distributor.

I assume I can use a timing light to check spark, as opposed to placing the plug wire next to a chunk of metal?

I like to get a spare spark plug and then disconnect a wire from a spark plug in the engine and put it on the spare plug. then hold the bottom electrode of the plug to a good ground and crank the engine. Look for spark.

Even though you have gas at the carb, pour a little fresh gas in the carb . Bet it fires right up. Today's gas draws a lot of water .

Wiggle some wires around, my old 318 was super finicky because the previous owner did some "custom" wiring. After putting new plugs, wires, and a crap load of other stuff I wiggled the wires out of anger/confusion/desperation and it fired right up first crank...

Yes you can use the timing lite. I put it on the coilwire itself for faster results.Todays fuel is formulated for EFI. It loses is start-ability very rapidly when stored in vented-to-atmosphere tanks like what your A-body has. I use fuel-stabilizer to combat this. If you find a no-spark I have some tips for you.Let us know how you make out.

Used to happen to us..one day it would work, next time nada. Used to carry around an extra ballast in the glove compartment. When we did our rebuild, we sad bye bye to the ballast.....

-
Back