No wonder USPS is loosing their astrict... RANT New stop Dallas Texas!!! Grrrr!

-

Oklacarcollecto

Life is an experiment
Reaction score
This is the stupidest thing I have ever seen on a maybe 4 pound package sent by first class mail.

Details..... Package coming from Purcell Missouri to Stillwater, Oklahoma.

View attachment usps.JPG

The distance is 191 miles.

View attachment usps route.jpg

Right now the package is in Des Moines Iowa and figuring direct to my house from there is 938 miles but the package still has to go through Tulsa or Oklahoma City before it can get here so it could see 1000 miles.

View attachment usps route2.JPG

I could see the package going to Springfield Missouri if there isn't a hub in Joplin but then it logically should go to Tulsa or Oklahoma City Oklahoma which both have hubs and are on I-44.

The great (sad) thing about these new Package Tracker features is you can now see how truly inept the USPS is. I had a package like yours that went from somewhere in New Jersey to Pittsburgh PA only to be rerouted to Rochester NY before arrive at the house. Rochester NY is almost as far away as NJ. All told the package had about 500 miles added to it!
No wonder they always need a bailout and a postage increase. Idiots.

packages will go thru a facility that has the ability to sort them....they all do not. goes from the drop off station, to the processing center that is "under" that station. from there goes thru an apps machine, which normally is not in the processing center. then it goes to the airport for FedEX to fly it. at arriving airport it then goes thru another apps machine & depending on the sort plan it may then go to the delivery unit. if not, then it will go thru another processing center then onto the delivery unit.

if memory serves me right....mail a package from Missoula MT to Missoula MT it comes to Spokane for processing. A letter to the Grand Canyon from the Grand Canyon.....goes to Phoenix first.

will only be getting worse....

packages will go thru a facility that has the ability to sort them....they all do not. goes from the drop off station, to the processing center that is "under" that station. from there goes thru an apps machine, which normally is not in the processing center. then it goes to the airport for FedEX to fly it. at arriving airport it then goes thru another apps machine & depending on the sort plan it may then go to the delivery unit. if not, then it will go thru another processing center then onto the delivery unit.

if memory serves me right....mail a package from Missoula MT to Missoula MT it comes to Spokane for processing. A letter to the Grand Canyon from the Grand Canyon.....goes to Phoenix first.

will only be getting worse....

Typical federal government ineptitude....

A cover for my Helix shipped from California on Monday. It arrived in Reno that night...and sat there...and sat there...and sat there. I got it Wednesday...of the NEXT week. It was sent Priority Mail. Must have been "Low Priority Mail"! (Note: I have gotten stuff from the west coast in less time via UPS and FedEx Ground!

I've had some issues lately with USPS. The worst was last winter when I sold some carb parts to a member in Iowa about 300 miles from me. The parts went through St. Louis to a sorting center in IA and then is showed it was out for delivery. This was Priority mail and 5 days after shipping them the member e-mailed me to check on them again because the tracking # I gave him showed they were in Florida. Yep, Florida. They sat there for 4-5 days before they moved and in that time I went back to my local post office to see if they could call down there to see what was going on. The post master refused. Told me Priority just means they'll try to get it there faster. No guarantees. Said they probably just made a routing mistake and it'd straighten itself up. Well it did. I paid for Priority to send parts 300 miles away and it took 13 business days to get there and the bitty at the PO refused to help. I should have went above her head because of her "I could care less" attitude but I let it slide but if it happens again I wont

I ordered a muffler from Jegs at 9 PM
I had it by 9 AM the next day
FedEx

:burnout:

Ohhh this is NOTHING! I filed for my income tax return INHOUSE my wife did all the paper work and math......Sent it in on January 23rd I think it was as nothing was being excepted till after Jan. 21st 2014. WELL, I was TOLD by the tracking feature of the IRS that my return was "enroute" in MARCH.....yeah ENROUTE MY ***.....I wound up getting nothing! I kept hearing its lost, its lost by the USPS......After about a month of that ****, finally a check arrives! For HALF of my refund.....My wife's checking into it, this was 3 weeks ago, I got NO papers to state or show what or why I only got half of the amount, I was to get....The local "state" portion of that, I got the full amount but the Federal amount was only half.....So now with the "tracking" the IRS has provided us with, the paper work really is "lost" they have no idea where the hell it is! SO, NOW we need to get the ball rolling all over again!

Sadly, they will not send these papers to us online to have a look at and because we did the taxes ourself, we get the good ole "F-U" so to speak from anyone, IRS related, OR tax return help.....SO, this means if we don't get this straightened out, I may wind up loosing $3,000 plus!

AND then I got the IRS telling me its in the mail, and provide a tracking number, and then I have the USPS telling me, its "lost" well isn't this a GREAT ******* system we got? Not to mention BOTH are GOVERNMENT run organizations!?

I ordered a muffler from Jegs at 9 PM
I had it by 9 AM the next day
FedEx:burnout:

That's what I was thinking. United Summit Parts System is the new USPS. My parts are always here the next day. No "Priority" BS needed.:blob:

No different than flying anywhere in the US.

Everything if not non-stop, goes to a hub, then out from there

electronic file. E-file i got my return in 2 weeks.

screw the postal service.

shipping parts, go fedex or UPS

Yeah that's how they ship large packages in this area. Say an intake manifold. I have shipped one from Gray, Georgia to Oregon. Goes from Gray to Jacksonville, Florida first. That's 283 miles away AND in the OPPOSITE, SLAM WRONG direction. I know they gotta do it how they gotta do it, but that seems to be the epitome of stupidness.

Yeah that's how they ship large packages in this area. Say an intake manifold. I have shipped one from Gray, Georgia to Oregon. Goes from Gray to Jacksonville, Florida first. That's 283 miles away AND in the OPPOSITE, SLAM WRONG direction. I know they gotta do it how they gotta do it, but that seems to be the epitome of stupidness.

me thinks, sometime they ship by pack mule. asked one seller that recently!

It's break bulk shipping.

Regional terminals (post offices) build up Truck loads going to various areas of the country. If the area your package is bound for didn't generate enough tonnage that day, the package will go to another terminal in the region that has generated enough tonnage to move trailer into your area.

Trucking Companies have been doing this for decades. Train companies for over a century. It's nothing new, and with regard to the use of manpower, fuel, and equipment, it's actually more efficient than running packages, or even partially filled trailers (LTL- Less then truckload) shipments to a given area.

It might take a little longer, but it is more cost efficient, and when an organization like the Post Office, that is losing Millions of dollars a day, can find a way to increase efficiency. well, that's what they are going to do. Even if it costs you an extra day or so in transit.

electronic file. E-file i got my return in 2 weeks.

screw the postal service.

shipping parts, go fedex or UPS

I agree with the first statement, but disagree with the second. Let's face it, most of us aren't on some TV show with a made up deadline. If a part takes a couple of days extra to get there, who really cares. And if you do have a deadline, have the part overnighted. The USPS is still the cheapest way to ship parts over UPS and Fed Ex. You just have to wait a little while longer.

I agree with the first statement, but disagree with the second. Let's face it, most of us aren't on some TV show with a made up deadline. If a part takes a couple of days extra to get there, who really cares. And if you do have a deadline, have the part overnighted. The USPS is still the cheapest way to ship parts over UPS and Fed Ex. You just have to wait a little while longer.

Good point, and very true. Usually the "inconvenience" is our own impatience.

It's break bulk shipping.

Regional terminals (post offices) build up Truck loads going to various areas of the country. If the area your package is bound for didn't generate enough tonnage that day, the package will go to another terminal in the region that has generated enough tonnage to move trailer into your area.

Trucking Companies have been doing this for decades. Train companies for over a century. It's nothing new, and with regard to the use of manpower, fuel, and equipment, it's actually more efficient than running packages, or even partially filled trailers (LTL- Less then truckload) shipments to a given area.

It might take a little longer, but it is more cost efficient, and when an organization like the Post Office, that is losing Millions of dollars a day, can find a way to increase efficiency. well, that's what they are going to do. Even if it costs you an extra day or so in transit.
I know this but if they do this dont charge one lower price for parcel post and then a higher price for 2 day shipping. Mo. to Mi. 10 days after paying for 2 days at near double the price t`s you off.

"Fat, USPS has a guaranty if you order and pay for express delivery (2nd day). I recommend you go to your nearest post office with your tracking info. You should be able to get a refund for the extra money the express delivery costs.

I know that doesn't remedy the issue for you, but it does ease the "insult" to your "injury".

As I understand it, you have 2 years to file a claim.

"Fat, USPS has a guaranty if you order and pay for express delivery (2nd day). I recommend you go to your nearest post office with your tracking info. You should be able to get a refund for the extra money the express delivery costs.

I know that doesn't remedy the issue for you, but it does ease the "insult" to your "injury".

As I understand it, you have 2 years to file a claim.
Thanks I was unaware of that.

I don't get it, I bought a shifter from Scott here on the board and it went from Ontario to Minnesota to Illinois and back to Michigan. It traveled over 800 miles, when we are less than 300 apart.

No different than flying anywhere in the US.

Everything if not non-stop, goes to a hub, then out from there

LOL

Yup, We flew to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, our luggage went on to Mexico City. Of coarse nobody spoka no englash at the air port.
We were assured we would get our luggage, which we did, after they flew it back to L.A. from Mexico City,then back to Puerto Vallarta.
We got it the day we left, 4 days latter. At least the airline paid us for the stuff we had to buy.

I once was waiting for a package to be delivered with signature required. I waited all day on a Saturday, and finally at 5 PM went to get my mail from my mail box. The package was there along with my regular mail.

I was upset after waiting all day so I could sign for it, they didn't even knock on my door for a signature and let me know the package was here. Instead they just stuck it in my mailbox.

I went to complain to the post office, and the guy who delivered it was on vacation then. They said that they would get back to me, but never did.

the kicker - they forged a signature when they delivered it. The signature was for my neighbor's husband who had died at least 6 years prior. I just don't understand how my neighbor who was dead for at least 6 years was able to sign for my package....

I once sent a Brita one gallon water filter system to a friend around Christmas time. I bought the Brita package and took it to UPS for them to PACK & SHIP. They were busy at the time and didn't pack it in front of me.

When it arrived at my friend's house, the UPS man literally threw it on the front porch from about 10 feet, and then walked away. It damaged the container for the water. The Brita was just thrown into a larger box with no packing/insulation around it. I filed a claim with UPS and still to this day have not been refunded my money. Coincidentally, when I went in to file the claim and ship another one that I had to buy to replace it, I requested that they ship it next day at their expense, since they f*cked up and broke the first one and if it was sent "regular" would not have arrived by X-mas. They wanted me to PAY THEM AGAIN to ship the replacement. I told them that I do not reward failure with more business and refused to pay for them to resend it. I then went to the Post Office who shipped it 2 day delivery, and got it there in time for X-mas and cost $10 less than what UPS wanted to charge me for the regular shipping (that would take a week).

One day, there will be a brick through the front window of the UPS store. Since they did not refund my shipping/packing costs, they can use it for the deductable to fix their front window. Then we will be even. (And I no longer use UPS for shipping).

UPS stores are franchised.

Yes, that's how they keep giving me the run-around. Corporate doesn't want to get involved and says it is an independantly owned store, and the owners say that corporate handles all of the insurance claims.

My brick will help settle the matter. One of these days, when they least expect it...

-
Back