Non Chamfered Socket set

-

RustyRatRod

I was born on a Monday. Not last Monday.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Do any of yall know if someone makes non chamfered socket sets? As in for use with thin head fasteners. Thank you drive through.

I know it's not a direct answer but ......when I have a group of "thin head" fasteners that are all the same size I get a cheapo socket and carefully grind the chamfer portion off. You'll need a cup of water to keep the socket cool so it doesn't loose any of the tempering. I use an extension plugged into the other end of the socket to hang onto it while grinding, a wrap or two of some good tape will keep the socket from flying off the extension. Make sure to keep the end of the socket square as you grind. After grinding use a file to remove any internal burrs. That's all I got!!:thumbsup: Don't be a FOOL....keep it COOL!!!!

I know it's not a direct answer but ......when I have a group of "thin head" fasteners that are all the same size I get a cheapo socket and carefully grind the chamfer portion off. You'll need a cup of water to keep the socket cool so it doesn't loose any of the tempering. I use an extension plugged into the other end of the socket to hang onto it while grinding, a wrap or two of some good tape will keep the socket from flying off the extension. Make sure to keep the end of the socket square as you grind. After grinding use a file to remove any internal burrs. That's all I got!!:thumbsup: Don't be a FOOL....keep it COOL!!!!
Yeah I have a few I've done that too. Maybe I'll run it by my Snap On dealer and see.

Yeah I have a few I've done that too. Maybe I'll run it by my Snap On dealer and see.
There's are all chamfered. You need to machine some. They have been chamfered for a decade or longer.

Make your own, quick and easy. Might as well use good quality sockets so they don’t break.

Yes don’t get them too hot.

There's are all chamfered. You need to machine some. They have been chamfered for a decade or longer.
Well no, not all. There are a select few in large metric sizes for suspension and bike work, but I am looking for a set in SAE from like 3/8 to 3/4. I'll let yall know if I come up with something.

Use impact sockets to grind down . They are not usually chromed and will still be strong after thinning . If you have a lathe you could cut the whole set down nice and clean .

Wow. I can't believe this hasn't been fixed. You need a socket without a bevel on the end just modify a cheap socket. I sold tools for 3 decades. Buy a cheap socket and grind mill, or turn the bevel off. If you need to use it daily, buy a high quality socket and have it machined to make it work if a specific one isn't available for your needs.

Wow. I can't believe this hasn't been fixed. You need a socket without a bevel on the end just modify a cheap socket. I sold tools for 3 decades. Buy a cheap socket and grind mill, or turn the bevel off. If you need to use it daily, buy a high quality socket and have it machined to make it work if a specific one isn't available for your needs.
I've done that for decades. I WANT a set that's non chamfered. I'm a tool freak. I like tools. Somebody out there has to make something.

Ive ground them down on my bench grinder using an extension chucked in a drill. Its as close to a lathe as you can get . But a lathe would take about 3 minutes !

I've done that for decades. I WANT a set that's non chamfered. I'm a tool freak. I like tools. Somebody out there has to make something.

If you search flat faced or flat face sockets, there's some kits out there. Looks like the bicycle crowd is the biggest audience.

If you search flat faced or flat face sockets, there's some kits out there. Looks like the bicycle crowd is the biggest audience.
Correct. Only about 5 or 6 in a set and they are all like 23mm or larger.

I may end up doing something like that, but I was hoping to find a specific set. I have enough loose sockets to probably make three or four sets.

-
Back