NON-EGR INTAKE MANIFOLD on EGR ENGINE

-

Ghostsoldier

Reaction score
Guys,
I've got a opportunity to pick up a Edelbrock non-EGR #2176 intake for cheap, but my son's '74 Duster has an '86 EGR 318 engine swap on-board...I'm not educated enough in small-block wisdom (yet---I'm learning) to know if I could use the non-EGR intake on his engine, but I'd hate to lose the deal, if I could possibly use it.

We have removed and/or disconnected all the emission parts from the original '86 system (as well as all the lean-burn crapola--we swapped out the distributor), and have installed a new Edelbrock #1406 600 cfm non-EGR 4-barrel carb on the stock cast iron manifold (we are having to use an adapter plate, though)....it runs really well at this time (The reason we are having to change out the stock cast manifold, is because the water temp sending unit hole has split across the top of the manifold, and is leaking like crazy--long story).

I was thinking it would be a matter of using a different intake gasket set for installation of the non-EGR manifold, or a block-off plate of some type, but I'm not sure if it would leave that small center intake passage in the head, open for leaks.

Can I use it?
Rob

Buy it. The only difference is the non EGR manifold is not machined for an EGR valve. Both manifolds have the crossover passage for intake heat so you will use the same intake gaskets for either manifold.

frontmotorshot-1.jpg
Don't meen to steel your post but I have a eldabrock preformer intake with a egr valve installed on a 74 318. I bought the car and put the 318 in my 69 ,don't need the egr . Can I just remove it and do they make a plate to block it off? I just capped the one line off it. Thanks

No block off plates are made. You can make one yourself with the gasket (New one should be used) as a template for a 1/4 steel plate. Thicker the better for this plate since it see extreme exhaust heat.

The Cheapest way is to remove the hose and plug the carb port or hose. LEave the EGR valve alone. A uncaped EGR valve is not a big deal at all.

No block off plates are made. You can make one yourself with the gasket (New one should be used) as a template for a 1/4 steel plate. Thicker the better for this plate since it see extreme exhaust heat.

The Cheapest way is to remove the hose and plug the carb port or hose. LEave the EGR valve alone. A uncaped EGR valve is not a big deal at all.

they weren't made? well I have about 10 dodge trucks with the canada emissions package and they all have a block off plate!

Since we don't know where Ghostsoldier is from, it might be that his state has periodic emissions inspections. This might be a reason (and for me the only reason) to keep the EGR setup

Don't meen to steel your post but I have a eldabrock preformer intake with a egr valve installed on a 74 318. I bought the car and put the 318 in my 69 ,don't need the egr . Can I just remove it and do they make a plate to block it off? I just capped the one line off it. Thanks

Yes

I put a 73 318 intake on my 273. Wanted the egr valve to go away. Spent a little time in google search and found plenty of block off plates... for everything except what I was looking for.
With a new gasket as a template, it took very little time to make the block off plate. Saved at least 15 dollars.

frontmotorshot-1.jpg

No block off plates are made.

Know the part number for that plate? Thanks

They used block off plates on the 3.3 L & 3.8 L minivan engines sometime between 98 - 2000... Have a dealer look one up for a part number....

Found on EBay block off plate.
Fits good. Just have to use US bolts. Just barely fits and in fact pushed in toward carberator to make sure it covered that hole. Looks great on my polished intake.
EGR Valve Delete Block off TBI Fit Chevrolet C1500 C2500 C3500 K1500 K2500 K3500
$_12.jpg

My 80 power wagon 318 came factory with egr delete in the heavy duty package. Canadian.
The 1/4” plate is easy to duplicate. Even 1/8” will work.
Have made all kinds of block offs.
I remember the new plates hanging on the wall in the dodge dealer where i worked 20 years ago.

-
Back